Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Virtualbox is down for the count

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Virtualbox is down for the count

    Live upgrade of opensuse 15.0 to 15.1 and virtualbox can't define any new vdi's for linux installs.
    In virtualbox 5.??? on 15.0 I had win xp, win 7, linux 11.2, linux 11.3 and 13.1 all working properly with extension pack and guest additions on each. Did the upgrade to Leap 15.1 and amongst a whole list of new problems is a broken virtualbox. Virtualbox 6.0.12 was the new upgrade for the Leap new version and it is useless.

    Windows xp runs perfect
    Windws 7 runs perfect
    Linux 11.2 and 13.1 run kinda ok some complains that it can't reach shared drives but it's been so long I may have changed things since I last ran them.

    So I need to install Raspberry Pi emulator and I created the vdi for it attached the iso to cdrom and chose install from the screen as normal. It has extension pack already and it should have worked but upon installation finish it reboots and crashes with a system halt message.

    Going to internet oricle says virtualbox can't run linux without guest additions being installed first. Cute. You can't install guest additions until you have installed the os and have it up and running. So I download guest additions for virtualbox 6.0.12Beta and attach it to the cdrom. start the system again and try to stop booting until I have added the guest additions and it can't find the cdrom (it shows in the list) but install from cd fails and offers to download them. Ok I choose download and install and it gets to 99% and stops saying download failed do you want to install from cdrom. Choose yes and it says no cdrom could be found ... downloading from virtualbox site and repeats ending again with failed. Then it finishes boot of os with error system halted.

    Didn't anybody check that virtualbox new edition actually worked??

    I did notice that all my other virtual guest had guest additions for the virtualbox that was running at the time the OS was installed. So each guest is running a different guest additions matched to virtualbox that was used to create the guest drive.

    Is there a work around or do I have to abandon virtualbox because it no longer works.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,706
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    IMO
    First step to solving your problems is to collect information...
    What version of Virtualbox is currently installed? Don't guess.
    Don't worry about your Guest Additions at least for the moment... If you have a version mis-match, AFAIK your Guests should still boot up but will be lacking in features. In fact, if Guest Additions were your only problem, you should at least see the Guest boot as far as Plymouth (past the Grub menu and prior to where you might login if you didn't have Auto login enabled)

    It's also important to know if your original Virtualbox from before you upgraded was installed from an openSUSE repository or if you installed from a download from the Oracle website.

    Whatever your situation,
    There is a solution.
    Ideally, if your current Virtualbox can be fixed easily, then that'll be done.
    Else, or if you choose to do so, it wouldn't be difficult to remove your existing Virtualbox and install whatever version you prefer from scratch... Although only VBox 6 is available from openSUSE, both VBox 5.7 and 6 should be available if installed from Oracle downloads. Your Guests should work with any of these choices without a problem. And, wherever you read that Guest Additions have to be installed before you can boot your VM, you're probably misunderstanding what was said, so don't worry about that.

    Although I don't think anything should be at risk, of course this is a good time to remind that anything important should be backed up, or at least copied somewhere off the machine for safe storage if anything disastrous should happen.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO
    First step to solving your problems is to collect information...
    What version of Virtualbox is currently installed? Don't guess.
    Don't worry about your Guest Additions at least for the moment... If you have a version mis-match, AFAIK your Guests should still boot up but will be lacking in features. In fact, if Guest Additions were your only problem, you should at least see the Guest boot as far as Plymouth (past the Grub menu and prior to where you might login if you didn't have Auto login enabled)

    It's also important to know if your original Virtualbox from before you upgraded was installed from an openSUSE repository or if you installed from a download from the Oracle website.

    Whatever your situation,
    There is a solution.
    Ideally, if your current Virtualbox can be fixed easily, then that'll be done.
    Else, or if you choose to do so, it wouldn't be difficult to remove your existing Virtualbox and install whatever version you prefer from scratch... Although only VBox 6 is available from openSUSE, both VBox 5.7 and 6 should be available if installed from Oracle downloads. Your Guests should work with any of these choices without a problem. And, wherever you read that Guest Additions have to be installed before you can boot your VM, you're probably misunderstanding what was said, so don't worry about that.

    Although I don't think anything should be at risk, of course this is a good time to remind that anything important should be backed up, or at least copied somewhere off the machine for safe storage if anything disastrous should happen.

    TSU
    windows guest were from 11.2 and 13.1 opensuse using virtualbox from oricle site as at the time linux repos version wouldn't install.
    Linux 11.2 and 13.1 were installed as guests from leap 42.3 using Linux opensuse repos.

    Info straigh from oricle says Virtualbox 6,x onward require gust additions before you can run Linux flavors inside them as without them they will fail upon selecting to run guest. Took hours to find the guest additions on their site and only one marked beta could be found for opensuse hosts.

    I should be ok as nothing is ever saved to the guest OS. I attach a link to a network partition shared by all OS's and store my info there. That way if virtualbox goes down I lose nothing important and am free to re-install the guest OS.

    I have no idea at this point which version of virtualbox was previously installed because during updates I tegularly see virtualbox being updated and it doesn't tell you what version it is changing it too. Originally Virtualbox was version 3.?? and in Leap 15.0 it was virtualbox 5.?? this time due to the problem I made note that it was 6.0.12

    current already made vdi's are working I just can't add any new ones. I had thought if I make a clone of a working vdi and change the clone to take a new version by install over the old OS maybe that might work.

    Question is will making a clone putting a new OS on the vdi will that delete the guest addition??
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO
    First step to solving your problems is to collect information...
    What version of Virtualbox is currently installed? Don't guess.
    Don't worry about your Guest Additions at least for the moment... If you have a version mis-match, AFAIK your Guests should still boot up but will be lacking in features. In fact, if Guest Additions were your only problem, you should at least see the Guest boot as far as Plymouth (past the Grub menu and prior to where you might login if you didn't have Auto login enabled)

    It's also important to know if your original Virtualbox from before you upgraded was installed from an openSUSE repository or if you installed from a download from the Oracle website.

    Whatever your situation,
    There is a solution.
    Ideally, if your current Virtualbox can be fixed easily, then that'll be done.
    Else, or if you choose to do so, it wouldn't be difficult to remove your existing Virtualbox and install whatever version you prefer from scratch... Although only VBox 6 is available from openSUSE, both VBox 5.7 and 6 should be available if installed from Oracle downloads. Your Guests should work with any of these choices without a problem. And, wherever you read that Guest Additions have to be installed before you can boot your VM, you're probably misunderstanding what was said, so don't worry about that.

    Although I don't think anything should be at risk, of course this is a good time to remind that anything important should be backed up, or at least copied somewhere off the machine for safe storage if anything disastrous should happen.

    TSU
    hate the new yast software management it says virtualbox is not installed, rpm says it is installed, That Discovery thing says it is not installed and I can see it and run from my desktop!!
    H
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,706
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    windows guest were from 11.2 and 13.1 opensuse using virtualbox from oricle site as at the time linux repos version wouldn't install.
    Linux 11.2 and 13.1 were installed as guests from leap 42.3 using Linux opensuse repos.
    That's likely your problem right there.
    The Virtualbox from the Oracle site is not exactly the same as the Virtualbox from openSUSE... they're very similar but there are some differences.
    I strongly suspect you have a mish-mash of files from your Oracle version partially changed by the openSUSE upgrade.

    I recommend "cleaning" your system by purging all your Virtualbox application files, then re-installing either from openSUSE (which should support future upgrades) or installing from Oracle again for other reasons.

    I described how to do this for another User who had to remove Virtualbox in the following post. You may also find a skim of that person's problems useful for your situation, too

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...86#post2908886

    Although it's fairly certain you'll be able to fix your Virtualbox, you may want to delay this in favor of making sure the other problems you described in another post about your upgrade are fixed first so that if you decide that a re-install might be preferable over fixing your problems individually, then your time to fix Virtualbox won't be extra, wasted effort.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    That's likely your problem right there.
    The Virtualbox from the Oracle site is not exactly the same as the Virtualbox from openSUSE... they're very similar but there are some differences.
    I strongly suspect you have a mish-mash of files from your Oracle version partially changed by the openSUSE upgrade.

    I recommend "cleaning" your system by purging all your Virtualbox application files, then re-installing either from openSUSE (which should support future upgrades) or installing from Oracle again for other reasons.

    I described how to do this for another User who had to remove Virtualbox in the following post. You may also find a skim of that person's problems useful for your situation, too

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...86#post2908886

    Although it's fairly certain you'll be able to fix your Virtualbox, you may want to delay this in favor of making sure the other problems you described in another post about your upgrade are fixed first so that if you decide that a re-install might be preferable over fixing your problems individually, then your time to fix Virtualbox won't be extra, wasted effort.

    TSU
    You may be right a clean fresh install after so many upgrades the opensuse way may be in order but I worry now for my sanity. I have so much software that took years to get going and likely is not available anymore. A clean up grade gives me a working system with out much mish mash but it will still be a big gamble as to how much I will lose in the process. I currently have 4 opensuse versions in grub 11.2 13.1 15.0 and 15.1 because of things that opensuse has deleted due to no more support. My 15.1 is freshly upgraded but has new things added that can't be to my knowledge re-installed because the repos are no more and I have no sources saved. Add to this I am running out of space to keep putting new OS's and keep my vm's too.

    I guess first I need to identify all the packages I have installed and find a way to download source installs for each of them. move them safe and hope the reinstall of 15.1 isn;t so broken. AND That it can actually re-install the packages I find download and archive. That's the biggy.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,706
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    You may be right a clean fresh install after so many upgrades the opensuse way may be in order but I worry now for my sanity. I have so much software that took years to get going and likely is not available anymore. A clean up grade gives me a working system with out much mish mash but it will still be a big gamble as to how much I will lose in the process. I currently have 4 opensuse versions in grub 11.2 13.1 15.0 and 15.1 because of things that opensuse has deleted due to no more support. My 15.1 is freshly upgraded but has new things added that can't be to my knowledge re-installed because the repos are no more and I have no sources saved. Add to this I am running out of space to keep putting new OS's and keep my vm's too.

    I guess first I need to identify all the packages I have installed and find a way to download source installs for each of them. move them safe and hope the reinstall of 15.1 isn;t so broken. AND That it can actually re-install the packages I find download and archive. That's the biggy.
    Yes. Inventory your apps. it's also a good opportunity to update your apps. There may be new versions and sources for newer versions. If you have problems locating install sources for your apps post in the Apps forum. there may also be better equivalent apps in some cases.

    If you have enough disk space, you can also install a new system side by side with your old so you can decide what to upgrade and what not to upgrade in a new install.


    Or you can get your virtualbox running so that you can test new versions of your applications in a new system in a virtualized environment before doing a new rebuild.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sauerland
    Posts
    4,121

    Default AW: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Post:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Code:
    zypper se -si virtualb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Well I cannbaliszed my system to death.
    1) Killed off 11.2 and 13.2 as the programs i was using on them come back with tons of errors and no repos to go to, to fix them.
    2) Fresh Install of 15.1 instead of doing an another upgrade cause they seem not to be so great.
    3) Installed as many apps as I could to match what I had all from opensuse repos.
    4) Re-installed Virtualbox from opensuse repos and virtualbox is working but way different than ever before. It no longer supports install from usb flash only choices are CDROM or .iso . Ok I get it maybe the programers are lacking talent of their predecessors. No problem made an .iso of bootable USB and attached that to cdrom as image. Worked. 13.2 is now in virtual space as are XP , win7, win2k, Even was able to install extension pack for virtualbox 6.0.12 to match my version of virtualbox.

    Problem is that now virtualbox upon running XP, win7, Win2k complains that I should upgrade guest additions immediately but won't mount the iso image to do it. As for Linux13.2 it complains that no guest additions are installed and won't attach iso to do it.

    It says the .iso is not accessible It's right there in my download folder in my home folder. and i attach it to the cdrom but in ALL the virtual guests all shared drives and the cdrom are not visible. And the option to install guest additions says it can;t find them either and asks if I want to download them. You may have guessed, that feature is a non stop loop of download failed retry the dowmload....

    The rest of my issues lie elsewhere like in applications so all need in this category is how to get my guest additions in for the guests.

    btw the raspberry Pi emulation on cdrom iso image can not be installed to run in virtualbox. when you try to run it it gives two options run live from cd or install from cd. run from cd has 2 choices with persistance or without persistance and they work but you can't share with your running system. You can't access the usb either. Those are reserved for installed system which crashes upon restart from install.

    So need to investigate if I can use qemu but from what the basic info says it may take days just to figure out how to set it up.

    This all seems like too much work all to have a way to use my 8pen plotter, my large scale scanner, openoffice 4.11, quanta3plus, xbasic, and altimately to finish my EV motorhome design.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,540
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Well I cannbaliszed my system to death.
    1) Killed off 11.2 and 13.2 as the programs i was using on them come back with tons of errors and no repos to go to, to fix them.
    2) Fresh Install of 15.1 instead of doing an another upgrade cause they seem not to be so great.
    3) Installed as many apps as I could to match what I had all from opensuse repos.
    4) Re-installed Virtualbox from opensuse repos and virtualbox is working but way different than ever before. It no longer supports install from usb flash only choices are CDROM or .iso . Ok I get it maybe the programers are lacking talent of their predecessors. No problem made an .iso of bootable USB and attached that to cdrom as image. Worked. 13.2 is now in virtual space as are XP , win7, win2k, Even was able to install extension pack for virtualbox 6.0.12 to match my version of virtualbox.

    Problem is that now virtualbox upon running XP, win7, Win2k complains that I should upgrade guest additions immediately but won't mount the iso image to do it. As for Linux13.2 it complains that no guest additions are installed and won't attach iso to do it.

    It says the .iso is not accessible It's right there in my download folder in my home folder. and i attach it to the cdrom but in ALL the virtual guests all shared drives and the cdrom are not visible. And the option to install guest additions says it can;t find them either and asks if I want to download them. You may have guessed, that feature is a non stop loop of download failed retry the dowmload....

    The rest of my issues lie elsewhere like in applications so all need in this category is how to get my guest additions in for the guests.

    btw the raspberry Pi emulation on cdrom iso image can not be installed to run in virtualbox. when you try to run it it gives two options run live from cd or install from cd. run from cd has 2 choices with persistance or without persistance and they work but you can't share with your running system. You can't access the usb either. Those are reserved for installed system which crashes upon restart from install.

    So need to investigate if I can use qemu but from what the basic info says it may take days just to figure out how to set it up.

    This all seems like too much work all to have a way to use my 8pen plotter, my large scale scanner, openoffice 4.11, quanta3plus, xbasic, and altimately to finish my EV motorhome design.
    Hi
    What is the "raspberry Pi emulation on cdrom" do you have a download link?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •