With tears of disappointment

Leap was not a good Leap. 11.x 12.x and 13.x had their issues but things were livable and fairly stable. Then came Leap new numbering bad choice IMHO. going from 13 to 42 was a Leap true. With the leap I noted many things that changed. Less 32 bit support for 32 bit apps. I am not talking about the apps themselves but the missing libraries that they need to use. I got over it as the main os eventually started to work as expected or desired.

Then came the Leap return to 15.0 and now 32 bit support has all but vanished. I have to keep old systems running as long as I can because the apps aren’t available in 64 bit. Why are we ok with going backwards. Yes the apps and OS are new faster but they are also more demanding on hardware. New features, some good some totally bad.

But now comes 15.1 which is broken beyond belief. For the live upgrade (which did work) even though it was slower than imaginable at over 14 hours to complete. but now I need a magnifying glass to even try to see the display text.

1. Grub2 is so tiny it can’t read at all.
  2. Desktop comes up 4 times slower than 15.0
  3. Yast is almost useless. No more tree view categories just a flat list which takes forever to find what is installed and needs attention.
  4. Discovery checks for updates even when you specify only do monthly. It now also tries to install rpms shown in dolphin when you are just scanning to see what you have in a directory. Just because you have an rpm listed on the screen doesn’t mean you want it installed. Of course Discovery when it eventually goes to install the rpm claims it has an “internal error”, didn’t install anything but rpm and zypper now say the package was installed but if you try to remove it it complains it is not installed. Try to again install and it complains it is installed.
  5. Taskbar at bottom of screen is now so tiny as are desktop icons that you can barely see them. I know my screen can be used in higher resolution but it shouldn’t start out at maximum. At next boot all settings for bigger print and icons are lost.
  6. Virtualbox is now useless. 1) For any pre -existing vdi drives they show and run in Virtualbox 6.0.12 with extension pack added back in. Guest additions for the other guest OS’s still show the old version guest additions but the guest OS’s do function AFAIK properly. 2) New guest OS’s especially Linux ones will no longer function. After installing they simply crash when you try and use them. Reason: They need Guest additions to run but you have no way to install guest additions. Attach guest additions to the virtual cdrom and virtualbox 6 can’t find them as it used to be able to do. Choose install guest additions by preventing load continue, and using the device oanel and it says download of guest additions is required. At 99% it crashes saying the download has failed.
  7. baloo file indexing comes on saying it has exited unexpectly please report this bug to bugzilla. Link to bugzilla goes to web and says the page can’t be found.
  8. Go into Dolphin and where it is set to only try and open files when doubleclicked it now selects the file upon highlighting. Click a blank spot is now required next to the option you want then the left or right arrow to highlight the item which immediate runs or opens the item. You can then cancel out the option and try to move copy archive the item.
  9. Cli does not allow su or sudo commands to get super user mode you must now open a super user terminal and if your lucky it will let you navigate where you want. BUT it tries to make it as hard as it can with lots of you don’t have access rights to this or that folder.
  10. Dolphin super user mode does not let you mount or unmount drives, change drives to ones just added etc.

Rethink what they are doing. because 15.1 doesn’t cut it. The more I check the more things don’t work.

I’m not sure why you’ve encountered so many issues with openSUSE Leap 15.1 - it’s not a common install experience I can assure you of that. My advice would be for your to work through them one by one, and I’m not sure about your experience level (based on what you’ve posted), so perhaps seek help in the appropriate technical help sub-forums (with suitably descriptive titles to attract the attention of those that may be able to help).

Hi
Consider changing DE’s and virtualization method? Sounds like a funky mirror if it took that long?

This Tumbleweed desktop…

systemd-analyze 
Startup finished in 1.601s (kernel) + 1.429s (initrd) + 2.759s (userspace) = 5.790s 
graphical.target reached after 2.747s in userspace

This is my Leap 15.1 GNOME KVM machine with GPU passthrough;

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 1.055s (kernel) + 1.277s (initrd) + 3.020s (userspace) = 5.353s

I’m just commenting on a couple of things. Because my experience does not match yours.

I was not a big fan of that numbering change.

Leap 42 was an advance in the quality of support (bug fixes, etc). But it went backwards a tad with some of the software. But Leap 15 seems to me to have been pretty good. Leap 15 was pretty much up to date at the time of release.

But now comes 15.1 which is broken beyond belief.

I have not experienced much brokenness. Yes, there was some – that’s live in the software world. But it seemed pretty good to me.

As for the 32-bit part – I am still using a 32-bit program that I compiled in 2006 on SuSE 10.1. I do need to install “glibc-32bit” before it will work. And that pulls in some other 32-bit libraries. Yes, in earlier release, those libraries were part of a default install and now I have to select them for installation.

For the live upgrade (which did work) even though it was slower than imaginable at over 14 hours to complete. but now I need a magnifying glass to even try to see the display text.

I did a live install on one system (in a virtual machine). I did not notice any particular problems with that, and it did not take anywhere near 14 hours (more like 30 minutes). For my main desktop and laptop, I did a clean install using the DVD installer.

I’m not seeing a problem with the display text size. That can probably be adjusted.

1. Grub2 is so tiny it can’t read at all.

I think it is smaller than with Leap 42.x. But I’m not having a problem reading it.

1. Desktop comes up 4 times slower than 15.0

Desktop is slower than I would like (at starting up). But I thought it was the same for 15.0.

Shutdown is faster for 15.1 than it was for 15.0 – or at least it seems that way to me.

1. Yast is almost useless. No more tree view categories just a flat list which takes forever to find what is installed and needs attention.

I use it a lot, so it can’t be useless. I don’t like some of the changes, but they don’t much affect what I do.

1. Discovery checks for updates even when you specify only do monthly.

I don’t think I have ever run Discovery. I tried it once on Kubuntu a few years ago, and didn’t like it (so I installed Muon). But I have never tried it with Leap.

1. Taskbar at bottom of screen is now so tiny as are desktop icons that you can barely see them. I know my screen can be used in higher resolution but it shouldn’t start out at maximum. At next boot all settings for bigger print and icons are lost.

I am not noticing this. My wife complains about my screen, but that is her aging eyes. My eyes are aging too, but they still seem to work well with reading the screen.

1. Virtualbox is now useless.

I can’t comment on that. I have been using KVM for any virtualization.

1. baloo file indexing comes on saying it has exited unexpectly please report this bug to bugzilla. Link to bugzilla goes to web and says the page can’t be found.

Yes, I have seen that bug. But I don’t much depend on indexing, so I ignore it.

1. Cli does not allow su or sudo commands to get super user mode you must now open a super user terminal and if your lucky it will let you navigate where you want.

I thought that bug had been fixed by now. In any case, the problem went away when I uninstalled “pam_kwallet”.

Everything you posted can be fixed, or addressed.
I see you’ve already posted about your Virtualbox prolbem in the Virtualization forum, and that won’t be hard to fix… As I mentioned there just make sure you’ve created copies or backups of everything important to avoid real loss if you make a bad enough mistake but I see nothing that is that risky or difficult to do in what you described.

I recommend doing the same with your other issues… Create a separate posting for each individual issue, and knock them out one by one…

But giving you a head start on your current list…

In the future, you should upgrade more often, and generally as recommended. Waiting so long as you’ve done is not uncommon but will mean that your upgrade will mean that many more changes at once rather than fewer at a time. When you upgrade within 6mths after a new version has been launched, (on Leap approax every 18 mths), the changes shouldn’t be so difficult to deal with.

Yes, 32bit has been dropped by default in LEAP, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t run 32-bit but will mean you need to understand your own special needs and to install 32bit libraries as needed. Or, you can do an upgrade not to LEAP but to Tumbleweed which has better 32bit support (and there is even a 32bit version of the OS). Your choice what to do, but you should ask questions before deciding on any of these options.

Depending on how old your previous version of openSUSE, yes the GRUB2 bootloader now is a VESA driver rather than the old VGA driver during initial boot… but I haven’t seen “tiny” type which would mean a very high screen resolution in a long time (I saw this maybe in 13.1?). In any case, you can fix this in your grub.config. If you can’t find this on your own, create a post in the Install Forum.

If the Desktop is taking so long to boot up, that can be a result of an incomplete or broken upgrade. Once scenario I’ve seen that can break an upgrade is if you upgrade several openSUSE versions at once, some jumps are more unforgiving than others. You can try repairing with a DVD, followed by updating the system. Sometimes I’ve been able to fix a broken upgrade by upgrading again, but haven’t been 100% successful.

When you describe things like resetting screen resolution, you should describe how you’re doing that. You may be doing it incorrrectly. Or, you may also have a broken upgrade (see above). Resolve your possible broken upgrade first, and if you still have a problem then create a post about this in the Applications Forum.

Baloo problem again can be a result of a broken upgrade (and broken KDE Desktop). Resolve the possible broken upgrade first, then if you still have a problem then create a post in the Applications Forum.

Opening a file on selection sounds suspiciously that your KDE/Plasma preferences have been set to “single click” and should be easily fixed by resetting to open files with a double-click. Unless of course your upgrade was broken. If your upgrade has been fixed and you still can’t find the right setting to fix this, create a post in Applications Forum.

Su or sudo should work as before you upgraded. If broken, they can be fixed. Although I personally haven’t seen this problem since… maybe openSUSE 12.3? I’m sure the same methods can be used to fix the problem. Of course as all of the above you still have to be certain your upgrade isn’t broken first, then if you see a problem then create a post asking how to fix in the Install or Applications forum.

Dolphin Super User mode should support mounting “places” – If your upgrade isn’t broken you’ll need to describe in detail what you tried to do so others can opine whether what you’re trying to do should be done differently.

Everything you described can be fixed but obviously I strongly suspect that your upgrade is broken which should be addressed first. Create a post specifically about your upgrade… Describe in detail what your original version was, what you’re upgrading to, any references you might have been following, the commands and methods you used.

TSU

This will not help you, probably make you envy (but OTOH you was probably already aware of the fact that most Leap 15.1 users do not have the same experiences as you have seeing the Leap 15.1 threads on the forums).

I upgraded from 15.0 to 15.1 a few weeks ago in about half an hour using the “change the repo URL’s and do zypper dup” way of working. Most of that time I was reading a book, on occasion looking at the screen to observe what was ging on.
But I admit, my internet connection is OK (having fiber to the home).

Did not notice much changes afterwards.

I see you have started threads about some of the problems you encountered. That is good, but OTOH you have so many strange things, that it might be useful to search in the background for some general cause (and I see that is done already in at one of those threads by posting your repo list).

I hope we can encourage you to try and solve the problems you have. Members here will help you as good as possible.

bit the bullet and installed frash still with some issues.
upgrade 15.0 to 15.1 took over 14 hours and was a disaster as mentioned.
Fresh install dumping 11.2 and 13.2 partitions and using them for 15.1 new for usb drive worked and installed in an hour, 3 hours to update it after install was not too bad. It functions way better.

as person noted above they install 32bit libraries which leap did do during install BUT It didn’t install the 32bit development libraries especially for glibc as was selected in the install. after the posting reminded me I checked and it only installed glibc basic not the devlopment stuff and that could be why my 32bit development environment won’t install.

I’ve been really happy with 15 - it has been totally stable for me running on VMware workstation.