Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booting to a black screen; nomodeset didn't fix

Default Booting to a black screen; nomodeset didn't fix

I'm trying to dual-boot openSUSE with Windows on my new laptop. My only prior experience with Linux is putting Mint on an old computer and using it like Windows. When I tried to boot, I got a black screen with a single, stationary hyphen thing in the top left corner.

I've read about people who have NVIDIA graphics, as I do, having to add "nomodeset" to the boot parameters. It makes sense for it to be a graphical issue because the installer gave me the text-based version. I tried nomodeset—I hope I put it in the right place; it was at the end of the Linux EFI line—but I was still getting the same issue. What could this be? I'd really like to use openSUSE; it looks like a lovely distribution!

If it matters at all, I made a separate partition for /boot.

Default Re: Booting to a black screen; nomodeset didn't fix

Did it ever boot as expected?

Does it have NVidia graphics only, or also Intel? The two coupled comprise Optimus Graphics, which requires special software and configuration, bumblebee or suse-prime.

Nomodeset is supposed to be a troubleshooting parameter.

See if, instead of nomodeset, appending plymouth.enable=0 to the linuxefi line using the E key at the Grub menu helps.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

It has never booted correctly. I tried plymouth.enable=0 and the same thing happened, the black screen without a cursor.

I do have Intel and NVidia.

Next I would try plymouth.enable=0 with nouveau.modeset=0 without nomodeset, to see if the Intel GPU can produce some visible output, so that suse-prime and/or bumblebee can be configured.

After a minute or so of black screen, can you reach a login prompt using Ctrl-Alt-F2 or Ctrl-Alt-F3?
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Well, something's happening! I did plymouth.enable=0 and nouveau.modeset=0. Said it couldn't start the X display manager and prompted me for login and password, which I entered.

I was going to follow the instructions for configuring Bumblebee or SUSE Prime, but I wasn't able to install the Nvidia driver. I added the Nvidia repository mentioned in the SDB. When I did zypper refresh, it said the Nvidia repository was invalid and all the others couldn't connect because of a "curl error."

I found here https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-opensuse-leap that it could be because it's trying to use IPv6 to connect, but the solution on that page didn't work for me.

Am I on the right track with things?

Any help on this? I can't install Nvidia drivers because the system won't connect to any repositories. I'm not sure I'm editing the configuration file correctly as in the webpage I linked.

Do you have a network connection? How WiFi or cable?

Depending on the hardware you may need a driver for WiFi. But wired should work in any case.

I do; I'm using wi-fi. During installation the connection worked, and it seemed to be able to set up the repositories just fine. The link I posted said Zypper might be trying to use IPv6, and indeed I only have IPv4 so I don't know if that's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SceoMyntan View Post
    I found here https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-opensuse-leap that it could be because it's trying to use IPv6 to connect, but the solution on that page didn't work for me.
    Have you tried appending ipv6.disable=1 to kernel cmdline? I don't get curl errors using it. I have in /etc/sysctl.conf uncommented lines only net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1.

Accidentally deleted my post. It's getting somewhere! Disabling IPv6 didn't help my connection, so I just plugged in an ethernet cable for now. I went and installed Bumblebee.

This time I didn't need to edit the boot options, and I got the Leap logo before the command line came back. Now how do I start the graphical interface? I ran startx but it said xinit failed and I should use a display manager.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast