Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Booting to a black screen; nomodeset didn't fix

Default Re: Booting to a black screen; nomodeset didn't fix

To be honest, I'm new enough to Linux I thought logging in as root just meant running the particular commands as root. Now that I've logged in as root though, the same is happening.

The susepaste command keeps failing. And how would I copy and paste anything into a browser when I have no graphical interface at all?

And I don't know what a kmp is or how to get it.

Thanks for the ongoing help to a real newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by SceoMyntan View Post
    The susepaste command keeps failing. And how would I copy and paste anything into a browser when I have no graphical interface at all?
    Via redirection, command output can be written to a file instead of or in addition to written to screen. A file can be copied to network or USB, and from there to the browser you use to write here. e.g.
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline > myfile.txt
    inxi -GxxS >> myfile.txt
    xrandr --listproviders >> myfile.txt
    xrandr >> myfile.txt
    will write the output of those four commands to a file named myfile.txt.

Another possibility is to login remotely to your openSUSE (using a graphical environment) to run those commands.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

To be honest, I'm new enough to Linux I thought logging in as root just meant running the particular commands as root. Now that I've logged in as root though, the same is happening.

And I don't know what a kmp is or how to get it.

Thanks for the ongoing help to a real newbie.
    Hi
    Run the command;

Code:
    zypper se bumblebee
    In the filenames is there one with kmp in the name, if so does it have an 'i' to the left (Indicates installed).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I tried nomodeset—I hope I put it in the right place; it was at the end of the Linux EFI line—but I was still getting the same issue. .
    As seen in file manager (Dolphin) in the Tumbleweed installer for our motherboard:

EFI>BOOT>grub.cfg>Changes were made permanent in Windows 10 with the help of Notepad++ in admin mode.

linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent iommu=soft

In your case it would be:

linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader/linux splash=silent nomodeset

You must add a space at the end of the line and to apply changes you have to click CTRL + X after to save and exit. That should work!

Without a space and CTRL + X, the machine will continoue booting in a black screen. In our case, the process stalls at loading ramdisk.

Could you please tell us the exact model of your laptop so that we can see if others have reported the issue you're having.
    Ryzen 2700U FHD Lenovo ThinkPad E585

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda
    command output can be written to a file instead of or in addition to written to screen.
    It took me way too long to successfully transfer the files to my Windows computer. But I got it!

Xorg log: https://susepaste.org/f77c467c
    dmesgfile: https://susepaste.org/308250ed
    Other stuff: https://susepaste.org/0204bb8f

The xrandr commands didn't work.

I didn't see a lot of errors during boot. The only things that said "failed" were Postfix Mail Transport Agent and one that went by too quickly to see.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    zypper se bumblebee
    This didn't give me any file names?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Could you please tell us the exact model of your laptop so that we can see if others have reported the issue you're having.
    Lenovo ThinkPad P52. Not sure if the specs are normal because I did buy it from an outlet, but as mentioned before my graphics are Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Nvidia P1000.

The xrandr commands didn't work.
    They only work when X is running. Inxi doesn't produce all expected of the -Gxx option unless X is running either.

zypper se bumblebee
    This didn't give me any file names?[/quote]It should have:
    Code:
    # zypper se -s lebee bbsw
    S | Name                             | Type    | Version                          | Arch   | Repository
    --+----------------------------------+---------+----------------------------------+--------+-----------
      | bbswitch                         | package | 0.8-lp151.2.59                   | x86_64 | OSS
      | bbswitch-kmp-default             | package | 0.8_k4.12.14_lp151.27-lp151.2.59 | x86_64 | OSS
      | bumblebee                        | package | 3.2.1-lp151.2.4                  | x86_64 | OSS
      | bumblebee-status                 | package | 1.6.1-lp151.2.1                  | noarch | OSS
      | bumblebee-status-module-cmus     | package | 1.6.1-lp151.2.1                  | noarch | OSS
      | bumblebee-status-module-dnf      | package | 1.6.1-lp151.2.1                  | noarch | OSS
      | bumblebee-status-module-mocp     | package | 1.6.1-lp151.2.1                  | noarch | OSS
      | bumblebee-status-module-mpd      | package | 1.6.1-lp151.2.1                  | noarch | OSS
      | bumblebee-status-module-redshift | package | 1.6.1-lp151.2.1                  | noarch | OSS
    my graphics are Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Nvidia P1000.
    From your inxi output:
    8086:3e9b UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
    10de:1cbb GP107GLM [Quadro P1000 Mobile]

Since I don't have Optimus, my ability to help is quite limited here. Xorg.0.log shows X trying but failing to load an installed NVidia X driver.

Are suse-prime, bumblebee and bbswitch installed?
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep -i 'suse-prime|bumblebee|bbswitch'
    The way I read
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_SUSE_Prime, suse-prime and bumblebee are mutually exclusive options.

OTOH, my reading of https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee suggests best to not install NVidia until exhausting all efforts with Bumblebee or Suse-Prime and the FOSS DDX drivers (modesetting and nouveau), leaving you with something to come back to if successful before attempting to get NVidia working.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123