Thread: Shutdown stalls at "Reached target shutdown"...auto power off occurs 4 minutes later

Default Shutdown stalls at "Reached target shutdown"...auto power off occurs 4 minutes later

I am running Leap 15.1 on a T430 Thinkpad. Shutdown normal until "Reached target shutdown". In the past the machine has powered off automatically in 2 or 3 seconds, now it is more like 4 minutes. This only happens in Linux shutdowns, not Win10 shutdowns, so I am assuming this is not a BIOS issue. Thanks in advance...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shutdown stalls at "Reached target shutdown"...auto power off occurs 4 minutes later

I have had that happen on a laptop (not a Thinkpad), but with Tumbleweed. It is mostly likely a bug, but an unusual one that might be hard to track down.

In my case, it is rare. And perhaps it happens when there is a power blackout that causes the system to start to go into sleep mode but be interrupted when power comes back on. But I'm only guessing.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Default Re: Shutdown stalls at "Reached target shutdown"...auto power off occurs 4 minutes later

You could try following the debugging procedure outlined here: (If normal reboot or poweroff work, but take a suspiciously long time, then...)

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar...ging/#index2h1
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20210330) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.2 KDE Plasma 5

I see the same thing once in a while on a random Dell Latitude laptop - I shut down to add memory, replace battery, or to go somewhere. I suspect when a library got updated (libc is usually the guilty party) that shudown uses and the one in memory is the wrong version.

Most of the time they stay up until a Linux Kernal reboot is required.
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

I had this exact same problem, caused by the lvm2-lvmetad service. Assuming you're not using LVM, you can disable it and the lvm2-monitor service which should solve the problem:

Code:
    sudo systemctl disable lvm2-lvmetad.socket lvm2-monitor
    sudo systemctl stop lvm2-lvmetad.socket lvm2-monitor
    At least, this is what solved it for me. There's an open bug report.

I have done something similar to z2 but do it only if your install involves partitions and not LVM - because then the lvm2 packages are not required. I just looked for any packages which contain the name lvm2 and uninstall them. That solved the delayed "power off" after the line "Reached Target Shutdown" on a Leap15.1 desktop and on my Tumbleweed laptop. Hope this helps.