Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: secure boot eufi windows 10 and leap 15, building new pc

Default Re: secure boot eufi windows 10 and leap 15, building new pc

I can't live with the weird screen, even the grub screen is not right.
    (although it works)

I hate UEFI.

First thing I will try after talking to a Scotisch internet friend, and more searching on goolge, is enable csm in the bios and see if win10 still starts.

If not I will install win10 again with csm enabled in the bios.
    Then also install leap old way. (mbr)

I will not quote what my friend said about UEFI, because my post then will get censored.
    He hates UEFI, and is convinced my problem (weird screen) is uefi related.

Edit:

First test was a success, just enabled legacy support (csm) , weird screen is gone, and I can still start win 10 and leap both UEFI installed.

From what I read online this wont work with windows 7. and seems to depend not just on the os but also on the motherboard brand.

For now I am very happy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    I can't live with the weird screen, even the grub screen is not right.
    (although it works)

I hate UEFI.

First thing I will try after talking to a Scotisch internet friend, and more searching on goolge, is enable csm in the bios and see if win10 still starts.

If not I will install win10 again with csm enabled in the bios.
    Then also install leap old way. (mbr)

I will not quote what my friend said about UEFI, because my post then will get censored.
    He hates UEFI, and is convinced my problem (weird screen) is uefi related.

Edit:

First test was a success, just enabled legacy support (csm) , weird screen is gone, and I can still start win 10 and leap both UEFI installed.

From what I read online this wont work with windows 7. and seems to depend not just on the os but also on the motherboard brand.

For now I am very happy.
    Hi
    Yes, as you have discovered, can be very motherboard and uefi implementation centric. I find it much easier to use than mbr/legacy boot, one thing is with gpt is 128 partitions and no extended partition....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

The fun about building / having a new pc is returning now. (That was almost gone)

This is the third time, I build my own pc, and never before had this many issues.

Talking to the Scottish friend (Manjaro user ) made me realize I was having this problem, even with just win 10 installed already.

He used to be a system administrator or something like that and is as you probably already guessed is a big Linux fan.
    He is less of a gamer then me, and does not use windows at all.

Can only confirm the uefi implementation centric.

Some manufacturers have only UEFI.
    Some have like mine a csm layer
    Some have a legacy setting.
    Some have all these options.

Its why I like the Tweakers best buy guide I use, I always end up with a motherboard capable of over clocking.
    And although I never overclock, these mobo's do have a nice bios, in which you can change allot.

Finally will be installing steam, after I have installed the AMD (proprietary) drivers.

That came as a shock to me though. No more repository, but downloading the drivers like on windows.
    Then use yast to install the rpm.
    Don't look for opensuse drivers, look for sled / sles.

That confused me until I learned what these stands for.
    SUSE Linux Enterprise desktop and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.

Never give up never surrender. I can now smile about it, install only Win 10 with csm disabled, and have a weird screen when the pc starts.
    Tempted to start a rant on MS and UEFI , but lets not.

Very happy, should be playing F1 2017 on SUSE soon.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Why the proprietary AMD driver? They are moving more and more to the OSS driver, I have zero issues with steam and amdgpu on my laptop....

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Why the proprietary AMD driver? They are moving more and more to the OSS driver...
    It was my understanding that proprietary drivers for AMD APUs/GPUs were discontinued prior to 15.0, with AMD driver writers devoting their time to the FOSS driver instead. Am I wrong?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    It was my understanding that proprietary drivers for AMD APUs/GPUs were discontinued prior to 15.0, with AMD driver writers devoting their time to the FOSS driver instead. Am I wrong?
    AMDGPU is the open source graphics driver for the latest AMD Radeon graphics cards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    AMDGPU is the open source graphics driver for the latest AMD Radeon graphics cards
    That's what I meant by "the FOSS driver", meaning xf86-video-amdgpu for the DDX, as opposed to xf86-video-ati for older AMD/ATI GPUs, plus the related Mesa amdgpu and kernel amdgpu drivers.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Thank you guys.

From the Arch wiki:

AMDGPU PRO

AMD provides a proprietary, binary userland driver called AMDGPU PRO, which works on top of the open-source AMDGPU kernel driver
    I read often on phoronix, and I thought the proprietary driver was still faster.

Because I was using an nvidia card the last years though, I have not been been paying close attention.

I do know that amd was planning on a opensource driver, replacing the closed source one for Linux.
    Maybe it has happened all ready.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...are-1820&num=1

Last week AMD released the Radeon Software 18.20 driver "AMDGPU-PRO" with support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. If you are curious how their closed-source OpenGL and Vulkan driver performance is comparing to the latest Mesa-based open-source driver, here are performance metrics using the latest drivers.
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph.../radeon-rx-570 ( proprietary driver)

There is a list, it's for windows ubuntu, rhel, centos, and sles / sled for us.

Just read the benchmark on phoronix, most tested games run faster on the opensourse driver.

So for now I wont be installing the AMDGPU PRO driver, you guys saved my ass.

I might have to check if leap is using latest mesa drivers, but this is very good news to me.
    Open source drivers on a open source os as it should be. Richard Stallman will be proud of me (don't tell him I am using steam though)

Seems I picked the right time to return to team red

The poor state of the amd linux video drivers some years ago, was what made me go team green.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    Thank you guys.

From the Arch wiki:

I read often on phoronix, and I thought the proprietary driver was still faster.

Because I was using an nvidia card the last years though, I have not been been paying close attention.

I do know that amd was planning on a opensource driver, replacing the closed source one for Linux.
    Maybe it has happened all ready.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...are-1820&num=1

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph.../radeon-rx-570 ( proprietary driver)

There is a list, it's for windows ubuntu, rhel, centos, and sles / sled for us.

Just read the benchmark on phoronix, most tested games run faster on the opensourse driver.

So for now I wont be installing the AMDGPU PRO driver, you guys saved my ass.

I might have to check if leap is using latest mesa drivers, but this is very good news to me.
    Open source drivers on a open source os as it should be. Richard Stallman will be proud of me (don't tell him I am using steam though)

Seems I picked the right time to return to team red

The poor state of the amd linux video drivers some years ago, was what made me go team green.
    Hi
    You should have good results with vulkan based games as well... but you will probably have to run Tumbleweed....

Made some progress.

Steam installed on leap 15.1 en 2 games, Alien Isolation and F1 2017.

That's 14.8 and 19.7 gig hard disk space gone.

Also used the rescue usb, and made the root partition a bit bigger. Now have a 24 gig root and over 900 gig home. (had some unallocated disk space left, after moving home and making it bigger)

Been reading about vulkan, and it seems I can install the vulkan driver too. (if its available in the leap repositories)
    My vid card does support Vulkan.

Have to think about thumbleweed. Since I won't be using the proprietary drivers, I am less worried about getting a black screen after an update.

For gaming its probably better to have the latest mesa and drivers.

Been watching gaming benchmarks, and most games almost run as fast on Linux as on Windows.
    Why they are a bit slower, is because a translation layer used. These game are ported windows games, and not really Linux compiled games.

Games that have a real Linux version, do run as fast or faster, as the windows version.
    Serious Sam 3 and the Talos principle for example, thank you Cro Team.
    (Cro team who stated in the early steam days, there is no reason from our site, why the game is slower on Linux, blaming the video drivers of nvidia and amd, and they were right)

Allot of the games also have all kinds of windows optimizations, that's also a reason why they might be a bit slower on Linux.

If all things are equal games should run a few fps faster on Linux.

I am very happy, from the days were nvidia said nobody games on Linux, so why would we put much effort in the Linux driver, to these days.
    Were games sometimes even run faster on Linux.

Very happy with Valve, all this would never had happened, if Valve had not started steam (gaming) on Linux.

Even the non gaming Linux users should be happy for having much better video card drivers.

One question though:
    How often does thumbleweed update ? I am worried it will get on my nerves, with constant updates.
    I did not build a pc so microsoft en Linux could constantly update the os.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast