Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tethering conflict with ethernet connection

Blog Entries

Default Re: tethering conflict with ethernet connection

Just speculating if this is just NM having an issue arising from the generic 'automatic' naming of a wired connection for some reason. If you rename the wired ethernet connection from 'Wired connection 1' to something else (eg 'Work'), see if that then allows your tethering connection to be created 'automatically' as expected. You should be able to rename that to something more meaningful as well.

For example, I have a connection I've named 'DHCP' and another 'CCTV' defined in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ directory. Here's how the first looks (note the 'id=' string as well)....

Code:
     # cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/DHCP 
    [connection]
    id=DHCP
    uuid=a845233a-565e-39eb-b5a4-09fd41d7e581
    type=ethernet
    autoconnect-priority=-100
    permissions=

[ethernet]
    auto-negotiate=true
    mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
    dhcp-client-id=openSUSE
    dns-search=
    method=auto

[ipv6]
    addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
    dns-search=
    method=ignore
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Just speculating if this is just NM having an issue arising from the generic 'automatic' naming of a wired connection for some reason. If you rename the wired ethernet connection from 'Wired connection 1' to something else (eg 'Work'), see if that then allows your tethering connection to be created 'automatically' as expected. You should be able to rename that to something more meaningful as well.
    This is what I usually do. I rename "Wired connection" to "LAN TPSee" but tethering don't works.('Wired connection 1' is tethering connection name).

Code:
    [connection]
    id=LAN TPSee
    uuid=95e76721-e06b-4455-ae06-6bef38400d32
    type=ethernet
    autoconnect=false
    permissions=

[ethernet]
    auto-negotiate=true
    mac-address=70:5A:0F:94:1D:D7
    mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
    address1=10.0.12.101/8
    dns=10.0.0.243;
    dns-search=
    may-fail=false
    method=manual

[ipv6]
    addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
    dns-search=
    method=auto

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio_os View Post
    This is what I usually do. I rename "Wired connection" to "LAN TPSee" but tethering don't works.('Wired connection 1' is tethering connection name).
    Ok, so the connection profile you shared relates to your working wired ethernet connection at work correct? Can you also share your tethering connection profile please?
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 20-Oct-2019 at 00:28.

I wonder if he has conflicting entries in his /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file

I would suggest deleting all the entries after the initial comment lines and reboot to clear the rules file - if the network manager files have entries with the eth0 eth1 and the udev file is different that could be the cause.
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    I wonder if he has conflicting entries in his /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file

I would suggest deleting all the entries after the initial comment lines and reboot to clear the rules file - if the network manager files have entries with the eth0 eth1 and the udev file is different that could be the cause.
    Yes, that could cause issues if the connection profiles are restricted to an incorrect interface (by MAC address). I would still like to see the tether connection profile.

Ok, so the connection profile you shared relates to your working wired ethernet connection at work correct?
    Yes

Can you also share your tethering connection profile please?
    I tried: no way.
    I deleted ethernet connection first then I started tethering connection that I'm using now to answer. But in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ no new connection even if in Network Manager window I see "Wired connection 1" automatically created as soon as I connect my smartphone in tethering.

Then how can I find tethering connection profile?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio_os View Post
    Yes

I tried: no way.
    I deleted ethernet connection first then I started tethering connection that I'm using now to answer. But in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ no new connection even if in Network Manager window I see "Wired connection 1" automatically created as soon as I connect my smartphone in tethering.
    So this is automatically generated, but you should be able to create a working connection definition manually as well, and then name as you like. Configure as for a DHCP connection, and you can specify the appropriate eth* interface if you like (or not).
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 22-Oct-2019 at 02:59.

So this is automatically generated, but you should be able to create a working connection definition manually as well, and then name as you like.
    No way. I deleted ethernet connection and then tethering connection is automatically generated. Then I can open tethering connection in NM window and I tried to copy all setting in a new connection I create but:

1) I write mac address 6E:61:DA:21:56:50 but when I check I find 00:61:DA:21:56:00 then mac address I set is changed

2) when I connect phone and activate tethering a "Wired connection 1" is automatically generated that supersede connection I made

Blog Entries

It would have been useful to have at least shown us the connection profile you created in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ so that we could at least check the settings for ourselves. Also, I assume that such a connection would need to be configured to auto-connect.

2) when I connect phone and activate tethering a "Wired connection 1" is automatically generated that supersede connection I made
    And it works ok like this?

Now I guess that the phone is generating a new mac address on each connection. That was an option in Android 4. I don't know if it is on later versions of Android.

If it is a new mac address each connection - he has no choice but to delete each time.

Some tethering plans (Altel) reset the mac every hour - it was a pain. Altel no longer exists - it was merged into Verizon.
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast