Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: XP-Pen Drawing Tablet

Default Re: XP-Pen Drawing Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by SceoMyntan View Post
    Hi, out of the box, I can use my XP-PEN to move the cursor around the computer screen, but the tablet's screen is blank. The tablet just shows me a "No signal" message and then goes black. I dual boot and it works fine in Windows. When I plug the tablet in to the computer, I get a "No external display" message from KDE. So it's like it's being registered as an input device but not an external display.

Any ideas what's going on? My KDE settings don't recognize that I have a secondary display nor a graphics tablet.
    The power button seems to have three modes: blue light (on), dim yellow light (standby), and off.

If I try to turn on the XP-PEN with no incoming HDMI signal, I see "No signal" and the XP-PEN goes into standby. In standby, when an HDMI signal is fed in and active, the XP-PEN immediately turns on.

I've yet to see "No external display" from KDE, which is also my preferred desktop too.

I'm wondering whether your GNU/Linux desktop is set up for dual monitors, like your Windows?

My normal setup is dual monitors, so I have that part already worked out. Actually, just plugging in a second monitor worked right away for me with GNU/Linux. The only thing I configured was the orientation of the monitors, i.e. which one was on the left and which one was on the right. I'm using an NVIDIA graphics card, so use NVIDIA X Server Settings to set the orientations.

My graphics card is old, GT260 series, so it can't drive three monitors. I either have dual monitors OR one monitor and the XP-PEN. I use an HDMI bidirectional switcher to toggle between the two configurations. The monitor is 1920 x 1200, while the XP-PEN is 1920 x 1080. If I'm using the monitor and switching over to the XP-PEN, the XP-PEN will bounce the message "No support" around the XP-PEN screen, as it doesn't like the 1920 x 1200 input. To fix, I have to go to NVIDIA X Server Settings and Auto Detect displays, select the XP-PEN display (UGD Artisr15.6Pro) and set it to 1920 x 1080. Switching back to the monitor isn't a problem, but the monitor will only display 1920 x 1080 until I reconfigure with NVIDIA X Server Settings to 1920 x 1200.

This is probably too much info, but hopefully supplies some clues to what you need to do to have dual displays, one monitor and one XP-PEN.

Definitely grab Linux_Pentablet_V1.2.13.1.tar.gz(20200428), which provides Linux_Pentablet_V1.2.13.1 dir and Pentablet_Driver.sh (which runs as root and needs to be running while you're using the XP-PEN). It will allow you to target the XP-PEN to just use its own screen instead of Mapping over two screens, as well as setting the pen buttons, tablet buttons and ring.

Yay! I have Tilt in Krita, along with all side buttons and ring. Thank you gfagan, dpitch40 and Digimend developers!

I followed all of gfagan's instructions to install the dkms Digimend driver, post #29, though I'm on openSUSE Leap 15.1 with Kernel Version 4.1.2.14-lp151.28.87-default, not the more recent Leap 15.2 or kernels.

After that, I did run into same issues dpitch40 described in post #35, which was resolved in post #37.

Here's what I ended up in configure-pentablet.sh:

Code:
    #constrain pen to tablet screen
    #******CUSTOMIZE
    #command "xrandr" to list outputs, finde correct HDMI for this command: 
    #xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" MapToOutput HDMI-0
    #xinput
    # UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus  id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    #xrandr
    # HDMI-0 connected 1920x1080+2560+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 3 44mm x 193mm
    xsetwacom set 8 MapToOutput 1920x1080+2560+0

#stylus side buttons to middle and right click
    #middle click makes note widget, rt-click => config desk => mouse action to change it
    #xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 2 button 2
    #xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 3 button 3
    #button 1 is the nib itself, best leave on defult

#dial to scroll wheel
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 13 4
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 14 5

#express keys (4th key numbered 8): 4 modifier keys, undo, Esc, zoom
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 1 key Ctrl z
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 2 key Ctrl Shift z
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 3 key Ctrl ]
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 8 key Ctrl [
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 9 key Insert
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 10 key Ctrl x
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 11 key Ctrl c
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 12 key Ctrl v
    Some things to note:

xsetwacom set 8 MapToOutput 1920x1080+2560+0

is derived from using

xinput to get the "8" from id of the UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus
    xrandr to get the "1920x1080+2560+0" which is the XP-PEN screen on my system. I have a two monitor setup and the XP-PEN is to the right.

Default stylus mapping is what I want:

nib = left button
    next to nib = middle button
    furthest from nib = right button

Ring is zoom in/out.

Buttons top to bottom:

Undo
    Redo
    Rotate Right
    Rotate Left

New Paint Layer
    Cut
    Copy
    Paste

This is a handy list of key names for the configure-pentablet.sh file:

https://pastebin.com/aXGDkJTU

Quote Originally Posted by Noobula View Post
    I have been trying to follow the steps in this thread with a xp pen 13.3 pro and I somehow end up in this state where the xinput don't show the tablet's "keyboard" anymore. I think it used to say UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay keyboard or something like that, and now it shows 38:EC:0D:5E:07:B7 instead.

Code:
     xinput⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay Mouse touch    id=6    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay stylus        id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ M720 Triathlon Mouse                        id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ M720 Triathlon Keyboard                     id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Keyboard K380 Keyboard                      id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Keyboard K380 System Control                id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Keyboard K380 Consumer Control              id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ 38:EC:0D:5E:07:B7
    There is a GUI added called Wacom Tablet detection and there it lists the tablet as a UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay, and in devices it lists UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay Mouse touch, and UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay stylus. I am guessing it should also list a UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay keyboard. I guess I can reinstall everything and find out...

When I try button mapping it responds when I use the button closest to the nib, and using the nib itself. The button further from the nib is no detected.

I tried changing UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay Pad pad to 38:EC:0D:5E:07:B7 , that returns 10 lines of Property 'Wacom Button Actions' does not exist on device.

i think I was able to use those express keys with the same behaviour as gfagan. like https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...69#post2917569

Any clue on how I use these instruction on the 13.3?
    I have it working but don't have keyboard listed from xinput, so I'm not sure it matters. On my system, I only see:

xinput
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    etc

First, I suspect you will need to have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-pentablet.conf list the right device.

% dmesg | grep 28bd

You should see something like this:

[ 3.499141] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=28bd, idProduct=090d

though the idProduct will be different.

Put the values in MatchUSBID, like this:

MatchUSBID "28bd:090d"

with 090d what you find from dmesg.

Reboot for it to register.

Hopefully you'll see that UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay as "Pen stylus" and "Pad pad" instead of "Mouse touch" and "stylus" with xinput.

Then check out my post #42.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    The power button seems to have three modes: blue light (on), dim yellow light (standby), and off.

If I try to turn on the XP-PEN with no incoming HDMI signal, I see "No signal" and the XP-PEN goes into standby. In standby, when an HDMI signal is fed in and active, the XP-PEN immediately turns on.

I've yet to see "No external display" from KDE, which is also my preferred desktop too.

I'm wondering whether your GNU/Linux desktop is set up for dual monitors, like your Windows?

My normal setup is dual monitors, so I have that part already worked out. Actually, just plugging in a second monitor worked right away for me with GNU/Linux. The only thing I configured was the orientation of the monitors, i.e. which one was on the left and which one was on the right. I'm using an NVIDIA graphics card, so use NVIDIA X Server Settings to set the orientations.
    Thanks for the answer. Your mentioning graphics cards made me realize what's going on: back when I installed openSUSE, I disabled NVIDIA in order to get the graphical environment to launch. Guess I'll need it again to make it work with HDMI.

Oh wait, another question. (Can posts be edited?) I'm seeing things around the internet about there being a relative mode and absolute mode in Pentablet.sh, but I don't see these options anywhere in that program. How do I switch that?

Quote Originally Posted by SceoMyntan View Post
    Oh wait, another question. (Can posts be edited?) I'm seeing things around the internet about there being a relative mode and absolute mode in Pentablet.sh, but I don't see these options anywhere in that program. How do I switch that?
    I think you can only edit posts within a short time frame after posting.

Is there a reason why you would want relative mode? In that mode, it's like using a mouse, where the pointer is moved from where you left it last (relative), instead of jumping to wherever the tip of the pen is.

Relative mode is more for mice and touchpads.

That said, I've switched over to using Digimend drivers, which uses absolute mode and provides tilt, which Pentablet_Driver.sh doesn't support yet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345