Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XP-Pen Drawing Tablet

Default Re: XP-Pen Drawing Tablet

Weird behavior: the tilt and pressure sensitivity for doing calligraphy that works so well on Computer A, doesn't work on computer B. It doesn't work on Computer A when booted from a USB stick, either. I'm not sure what's different about A's hard drive installation; all 3 installations (A & B's hard drives, plus the USB) are up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by gfagan View Post
    Weird behavior...
    I'm feeling pretty stupid now. In Inkscape, selecting an input device is insufficient because it remains disabled by default. Evidently I figured out how to enable it on one computer (select "screen" from the dropdown) and forgot to do that for the other.

This may be an awkward review format, but I think it's more useful than first-impressions-only.

So the driver gives mapping functionality. This has to do with the fact that a display tablet is like an extra monitor. Now one way to use it is to unify outputs with your primary monitor, and if the primary and the tablet are set to the same resolution, that lines up the mouse cursor with the pen. In order to take advantage of the tilt functionality that only works when the driver hasn't been launched (in my case, to do calligraphy with inkscape), that's what I have to do, unify outputs.

However, if I set the tablet to be a second screen, I could for instance watch a drawing tutorial on my primary monitor while following along with the tablet. However in that case, the pen tries to map across both monitors. When the pen is on the right edge of the tablet, it's fine, but as I move the pen left, the cursor moves twice as fast, so when I'm half-way across the tablet, the mouse cursor crosses over onto the primary monitor. What the mapping function of the driver does, is to enable me to specify the range over which the pen applies, confining it to the portion of the display showing on the tablet itself. Very cool, but sad that I have to choose between this and tilt, so here's hoping the xp-pen dev team gets tilt function working soon. Again, this report concerns the driver version dated 20 Aug 2019, and the behavior of the tablet without the vendor-supplied driver is determined by kernel 5.3, current in Tumbleweed as I write. Digimend version 9 makes no difference.

Two things.

First, while XP-Pen doesn't ship a dvd, they do authorize purchasers to download commercial art software, Artrage or Opencanvas (which actually used to be open), version prior to current but that may at least qualify for upgrade pricing. Neither run natively on linux, though wine appdb reports success with some versions of each. I picked up artrage and installed it in VM, pretty nice but at least to my novice eyes not obviously superior to krita.

Second, while working with Korvox, a digimend dev on github, I found out that XP-Pen misrepresents the technical specs of their tablet, specifically the pen resolution (different from the display resolution). I say kudos for working on a linux driver, but lying about the basic technical capability of the product is not cool. For those interested in reviewing the evidence, the discussion is here, and mine is the third tablet reported (counting the dev's own): https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend...ivers/pull/291.

For XP-Pen Artist Pro 15.6 on linux, the following fork of Digimend driver works great for them as ain't skeert of the command line:

https://github.com/Korvox/digimend-k...vers/tree/tilt

By works great, I mean that it supports tilt (full range), which the vendor-supplied driver does not, while also allowing mapping of keys and pen. However, GUI tools don't work for this you have to use the command xsetwacom. Here's how:

First, use the command xrandr to find out how your system identifies the display. In my case, I see output for eDP (the laptop screen) and HDMI-A-0. Well, the tablet;s connect by HDMI, so that must be it. To make align the range of the stylus to the portion of the display on the tablet (i.e., to screen 2), I need the command

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" MapToOutput HDMI-A-0

Similarly, you map the express keys like this:

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button # key/button <specify>

The buttons are numbered 1-3 and 8-12, don't ask me what happened to 4-7. Also, the dial is treated as 2 buttons, 13 and 14, depending which way you turn it.

So first, you specify the button on the tablet (i.e., express key), and then you specify the action which can be either a mouse button or keyboard combo, even a sequence of keys. The mouse buttons are 1-3 for left/middle/right click, 4-5 for scroll wheel up and down. So to set the dial to mimic the scrollwheel, you'd enter

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 13 button 4
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 14 button 5

And likewise to set the bottom button as undo, you'd enter

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 12 key ctrl z

Hopefully, that's clear, and if not, man xsetwacom has more details.

As for the buttons on the stylus, I don't know how they're identifried, but the default seems pretty useful: The one closer to the nib is spacebar, which lets you move the canvas in krita, and the other is right-click.

Similarly, you map the express keys like this:

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button # key/button <specify>

...So to set the dial to mimic the scrollwheel, you'd enter

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 13 button 4
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 14 button 5

And likewise to set the bottom button as undo, you'd enter

xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 12 key ctrl z
    Oops!

Those entries should say "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad"

But entries that say "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" control the side buttons on the stylus. It's a bit tricky because "button" 1 is the nib of the pen, and that's a left-click (and drag) when you hold the pen against the table. button 2 is the one nearer the nib, middle-click by default, and button 3 is the other button, right-click by default.

Ind KDE, the default action of middle-click on the desktop is to create a post-it note widget, which is especially infuriating with the pen. You don't change that behavior in system settings but rather by right-clicking and choosing configure desktop => mouse actions. I like application launcher for middle-click.

For XP-Pen Artist Pro 15.6 on linux, the following fork of Digimend driver works great:

In order to make it work, I had to enter the following command as superuser:

sed -i -e '/^get_module_verinfo()/,+3 s/\<unset res$\|\<res=()$/res=("" "" "")/' /usr/sbin/dkm

For XP-Pen Artist Pro 15.6 on linux, the following fork of Digimend driver works great:

Okay, I'm gonna take this from the top because it can be tricky.

[Zeroth, install dkms, and plug in the tablet if you haven't already.]

First, download from the link above - click the "clone" button and you can download the zip file.

Second, extract it to somewhere - I use /opt and change the long directory name to just /opt/Digimend.

Third, change into that directory and open a root terminal.

4th, enter the command: sed -i -e '/^get_module_verinfo()/,+3 s/\<unset res$\|\<res=()$/res=("" "" "")/' /usr/sbin/dkms

5th, enter the command: make dkms_install

6th, enter the command xrandr and make a note of the input the tablet's on, probably HDMI-something.

7th, create text file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-pentablet.conf with the following content:

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "tablet"
            MatchUSBID "28bd:090d"
            Driver "wacom"
    EndSection
    8th, create exectuable text file ~/bin/configure-pentablet.sh with the following content:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#command "xsetwacom list devices" to verify tablet name as quoted in commands below

#constrain pen to tablet screen
    #******CUSTOMIZE
    #command "xrandr" to list outputs, finde correct HDMI for this command: 
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" MapToOutput HDMI-A-0

#stylus side buttons to middle and right click
    #middle click makes note widget, rt-click => config desk => mouse action to change it
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 2 button 2
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 3 button 3
    #button 1 is the nib itself, best leave on defult

#dial to scroll wheel
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 13 4
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 14 5

#express keys (4th key numbered 8): 4 modifier keys, undo, Esc, zoom
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 1 key Alt
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 2 key Ctrl
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 3 key Shift
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 8 key Meta
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 9 key Ctrl z
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 10 key Esc
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 11 key Ctrl +
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 12 key Ctrl -
    9th, double-check that MapToOutput bit and make sure it matches what you got from xrandr.

10th, add that script to your autostart setting.

Finally, reboot. Voila.

Post-finally, enter command xinput and you should see entries for the stylus and pad addressed in the script above.

Troubleshooting:

Remember, when the internal processing of an electronic device gets screwed up, turning it off isn't enough - you gotta unplug for a few seconds.

If xrandr didn't show anything connected by HDMI, check the cabling.

If make dkms_install doesn't happen, you're in the wrong working directory, and if it throws the error that your kernel already has an up-to-date version, then that gobbledegook sed command didn't work, so check how well you copied it and make sure you ran as root.

If xinput shows Pen Pen (0), it means you don't have the conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

If the cursor doesn't follow the stylus, then the MapToOutput part of the script is going to the wrong HDMI port, or it's mapped to the entire display including your primary monitor. If you can't get this bit to work any other way, try setting the tablet to mirror the primary monitor (and make sure they have the same resolution).

If you don't like the key map I nominated in the script above, the point is that you have the structure needed to make your own; use man xsetwacom to identify the keys/buttons you want.

If you accidentally press the stylus button and it makes a post-it note on the KDE desktop, right-click, choose configure deksktop => mouse => middle-click and change it to something useful like application launcher (especially if your start menu is on a panel on your primary monitor, where you can't reach it with your pen).

If all your apps open on the tablet, go to KDE system settings => window managemengt => window rules and make a rule named "open on primary screen" using the size and position tab to select screen => apply initially => 1. [If you want apps opened with the mouse on screen 1, and apps opened with the pen on screen 2, tell me how you did that when you figure it out.]

Tell me how it goes. This takes a bit more work than the vendor-supplied driver, but you only do that work once and get better performance including tilt sensitivity and a wider range of options to map the dial and keys.

PS: Depending on when you read this, support for the XP-Pen Artist Pro 15.6 may be integrated into the main branch of digimend-kernel-drivers, but otherwise I expect the instructions will be the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123