Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: XP-Pen Drawing Tablet

Default Re: XP-Pen Drawing Tablet

Some long overdue clarification on the comment above: While update messed up my tablet on a mature installation, the guide from the post before that still works on a clean install of Tumbleweed, kernel 5.6.6 as of now.

And, non-dkms reinstall driver fixed my mature machine. If this happens to you at some point, see instructions in the digimend readme.

Quote Originally Posted by gfagan View Post
    the guide from the post before that still works on a clean install of Tumbleweed
    I spoke too soon. For compatibility with newer kernel, I need this version of DIGImend: https://github.com/underdoeg/digimend-kernel-drivers

Furthermore, I only get support for stylus (including tilt), but not the hotkeys and dial

Quote Originally Posted by gfagan View Post
    Update: Just did a snapper rollback because the foregoing did not work for me when tumblweed pushed kernel 5.4.7 (replacing 5.3.12). -GEF
    Kudos to Geekos Italia for offering kernel 5.3.18 (the same as in Leap 15.2) in both default and preempt version (for digital audio). It works fine, so here's the repo: https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/geekositalia:/kernel:/leap15.2/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/

If you want to use the preempt version, boot into default to setup digimen as described above, and then it'll work with the preempt kernel.

I just got an Artist 15.6 Pro and am trying these instructions on Linux Mint 19.3. I successfully installed the Digimend fork and created the xorg file and configuration script. The script successfully maps the shortcut keys and wheel, but not the stylus buttons, and the stylus is mapped to both monitors instead of just the tablet, Both of these seem to be because xsetwacom only seems to be aware of the pad as a device, and not the stylus.

Code:
    xsetwacom --list devices
    UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad    id: 15    type: PAD
    So the xsetwacom commands that try to modify the "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" are failing.

Code:
    ./configure-pentablet.sh 
    Cannot find device 'UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus'.
    Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to run the configuration script automatically upon connecting the tablet? As a workaround for now I have a wrapper script that runs it before starting Krita.

If I set the tablet to mirror my primary display to work around the mapping issue, I can confirm that the tilt works with this method, which is great. If I can get the stylus to show up as a configurable device, I should be all set up.

I think I managed to mostly figure it out. From checking my xorg logs (/var/log/Xorg.0.log), I found that whereas the pad is only having the InputClass "tablet" that I defined in the new xorg config file I created, the pen was matching that class as well as a "libinput tablet catchall" class defined by libinput. This was causing it to use a different, more generic input driver (libinput), which was in turn causing libwacom not to recognize it so it didn't show up when I ran xsetwacom --list devices. I figured removing libinput seemed like a bad idea, but I guessed that the numbers at the start of the xorg config filenames were prioritiy levels (couldn't find documentation proving this) and tried renaming the new config file from "30-pentablet.conf" to "50-pentablet.conf" (the libinput one is "40-libinput.conf"). After a restart, this did the trick!

After that I had a few other issues. The configuration script was giving me the error "Unable to find an output 'HDMI-0'." even though HDMI-0 was clearly showing up as connected in the output of xrandr. I managed to get around this by finding the pen's ID in xinput list and replacing the MapToOutput line with

Code:
    # xinput map-to-output 14 HDMI-0
    This was from this Arch linux wiki documentation. For some reason, when I tried it this way the HDMI-0 output was recognized. My cursor was not exactly lining up with the pen tip, so I ended up using the geometry string syntax (still with the xinput ID) to calibrate it more perfectly.

Also, I noticed that middle-clicking to pan in Krita was not working, even right clicking was, and middle-clicking with stylus button 2 seemed to work normally in my web browser and when mapping inputs in the Krita configuration. I'm still not sure what was going on here either, but I managed to fix it by simply commenting out the lines mapping the stylus buttons and using the defaults. (How are they different than the mappings in the config file?)

So my config file ended up looking like this (I haven't chosen final mappings for the 8 shortcut buttons yet):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#command "xsetwacom list devices" to verify tablet name as quoted in commands below

#constrain pen to tablet screen
    #******CUSTOMIZE
    #command "xrandr" to list outputs, finde correct HDMI for this command: 
    # xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" MapToOutput HDMI-0
    # xinput map-to-output 14 HDMI-0
    xsetwacom set 14 MapToOutput 1921x1089+4+1077

#stylus side buttons to middle and right click
    #middle click makes note widget, rt-click => config desk => mouse action to change it
    # xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 2 button 2
    # xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pen stylus" button 3 button 3
    #button 1 is the nib itself, best leave on defult

#dial to scroll wheel
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 13 key =
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 14 key -

#express keys (4th key numbered 8): 4 modifier keys, undo, Esc, zoom
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 1 key 1
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 2 key 2
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 3 key 3
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 8 key 4
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 9 key 5
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 10 key 6
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 11 key 7
    xsetwacom set "UGTABLET 15.6 inch PenDisplay Pad pad" button 12 key 8
    Besides the above questions, I still have a few non-critical issues. For some reason if I unplug the tablet and plug it back in, it stops picking up inputs. Rerunning the config script doesn't help; only restarting my laptop works. Also, when it's connected and set as a second screen, full-screened windows on my laptop screen extend to the very bottom, going underneath my bottom panel and forcing me to move it to the top. This might just be specific to Linux Mint, but it's kind of annoying. I should be able to get drawing once I map the shortcut keys, but if you have any ideas on my remaining questions and issues I'm all ears. Thanks for your work on getting this tablet working for Linux users!

I have been trying to follow the steps in this thread with a xp pen 13.3 pro and I somehow end up in this state where the xinput don't show the tablet's "keyboard" anymore. I think it used to say UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay keyboard or something like that, and now it shows 38:EC:0D:5E:07:B7 instead.

Code:
     xinput⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay Mouse touch    id=6    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay stylus        id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ M720 Triathlon Mouse                        id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ M720 Triathlon Keyboard                     id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Keyboard K380 Keyboard                      id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Keyboard K380 System Control                id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Keyboard K380 Consumer Control              id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ 38:EC:0D:5E:07:B7
    There is a GUI added called Wacom Tablet detection and there it lists the tablet as a UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay, and in devices it lists UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay Mouse touch, and UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay stylus. I am guessing it should also list a UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay keyboard. I guess I can reinstall everything and find out...

When I try button mapping it responds when I use the button closest to the nib, and using the nib itself. The button further from the nib is no detected.

I tried changing UGTABLET 13.3 inch PenDisplay Pad pad to 38:EC:0D:5E:07:B7 , that returns 10 lines of Property 'Wacom Button Actions' does not exist on device.

i think I was able to use those express keys with the same behaviour as gfagan. like https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...69#post2917569

Any clue on how I use these instruction on the 13.3?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234