Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are JeOS arm images so humongous?

Default Why are JeOS arm images so humongous?

My expectation with a JeOS install image is that it would be a rather minimal server image. I typically use raspberry pi for pure headless applications, and I had used debian, raspian, and alpine, in the past. The JeOS arm/pi images, by comparison are rather humongous, weighing in at over 2g unpacked (buster images by comparison are around 1g, and well, alpine is in a class by itself). I do note these JeoS images include yast and X libs, avahi, etc, but my gut feeling is anything that calls itself JeOS should not do so and be a more true minimal server with "just enough" for ssh, as anything else could then be added on top after. I suppose I would have to go all the way to kiwi to get a more true minimal server image or if I wanted to create a custom image for a product, but to just test and get used to deploying opensuse on devices I would prefer starting from a true minimal baseline. I guess my real question is why are they built so large...what was the thinking behind it?

Default Re: Why are JeOS arm images so humongous?

Hello,

I see this is one of your first posts: Welcome to the opernSUSE forums.

I am very sorry, but I tried to find the meaning of "humongous" in dictionaries (Englsih is not my first language, the same as for may here), I even ended up in Google Translate, but failed.

In any case, thses are the openSUSE forums so when there isn't any better answer then mine to your JeOS question, be assured that that is out of lack of knowledge and not out of lack of williness to help you.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am very sorry, but I tried to find the meaning of "humongous" in dictionaries (Englsih is not my first language, the same as for may here), I even ended up in Google Translate, but failed.
    You can roughly take it to mean "absurdly large". Yes, the word probably started as slang.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You can roughly take it to mean "absurdly large". Yes, the word probably started as slang.
    And it seems then that that "largety" is measured in weight (2g vs. 1g).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Well, maybe not absurdly, but I felt at 2 gigabytes+, it seemed rather large for a "JeOS" image, and it seemed to have a lot of extra packages, too. I was simply wondering and trying to understand why.

Hello,

I see this is one of your first posts: Welcome to the opernSUSE forums.

In any case, thses are the openSUSE forums so when there isn't any better answer then mine to your JeOS question, be assured that that is out of lack of knowledge and not out of lack of williness to help you.
    Thank you.

I should have considered that it is not as obvious to non-english speakers. I of course mean very large in disk space use for the initial install image on arm (raspberry pi), and I was working with the JeOS image for Leap (15.1). The idea of JeOS, at least to me, was "just enough" OS to get something booted and accessible. 2 gigabytes+ for the initial image (when uncompressed and copied to a sd card) seemed rather much for that definition of JeOS. The arm/raspberry pi JeOS image also had yast, a bunch of X libs, and other things, which I am sure contributes to its large size.

Quote Originally Posted by dyfet View Post
    Thank you.

I should have considered that it is not as obvious to non-english speakers. I of course mean very large in disk space use for the initial install image on arm (raspberry pi), and I was working with the JeOS image for Leap (15.1). The idea of JeOS, at least to me, was "just enough" OS to get something booted and accessible. 2 gigabytes+ for the initial image (when uncompressed and copied to a sd card) seemed rather much for that definition of JeOS. The arm/raspberry pi JeOS image also had yast, a bunch of X libs, and other things, which I am sure contributes to its large size.
    You may be correct about the size of the system as offered (remember that SI units and their prefixes are case dependent, like Unix/Linux), but I doubt you will find here anybdody who has any influence on the decissions what to put into it or not and can defend them. The forums members are by a far majority openSUSE users, not developers.
    Henk van Velden

You may be correct about the size of the system as offered (remember that SI units and their prefixes are case dependent, like Unix/Linux), but I doubt you will find here anybdody who has any influence on the decissions what to put into it or not and can defend them. The forums members are by a far majority openSUSE users, not developers.
    Hi Henk,

if you think this should be moved to/reposted in a different forum, I would be happy to do so, perhaps also with a better title. I was at this point simply trying to understand why it is so large in disk space, although I do clearly have an opinion on this, too . I also did not know which forum to pick for this kind of question as it is not a support question.

I think I do understand what you mean and why you are curious.

I searched a bit and see that SUSE offers a JeOS (and that is the one you are talking about), but on the SUSE forums site, I only see referencses to SLES and SLED, not to JeOS.

I still hope that someone here will chime in andhave an idea about where to go, or whom to caontact.
    Henk van Velden

I think I do understand what you mean and why you are curious.

I searched a bit and see that SUSE offers a JeOS (and that is the one you are talking about), but on the SUSE forums site, I only see referencses to SLES and SLED, not to JeOS.

I still hope that someone here will chime in andhave an idea about where to go, or whom to caontact.
    https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi2 is a good starting place. I choose the JeOS image from there because I use my Pi headless, and so I assumed that would be a very minimal image. It is a small download as a .xz, but when you uncompress, it expands to a 2 Gigabyte+ filesystem, which is about twice as large as a default Debian Buster image for the Raspberry Pi, or the Raspian one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast