Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are JeOS arm images so humongous?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why are JeOS arm images so humongous?

Quote Originally Posted by dyfet View Post
    Indeed, and this is why I had already come to adopt AlpineLinux for those uses. I wish OBS had Alpine as a supported distro.
    Hi
    Jump on the Build Service Mailing list and request it to be added?
    openSUSE:Communication channels - openSUSE

Here is the container info....
    https://en.opensuse.org/Kubic:MicroOS
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Indeed, and this is why I had already come to adopt AlpineLinux for those uses. I wish OBS had Alpine as a supported distro.
    I don't know what your plan is for distributing and deploying the app you intend to build...

If you decided on Docker as an example which would mean that once your app is built, it could probably be found and deployed nearly instantly on any Linux or MSWindows HostOS, Of course a MSWindows HostOS would likely be running a linux environment hosted on Hyper-V to run your containers.
    You would start by downloading and deploying the base image. For Alpine Linux, you would "pull" your image from any of the following
    https://hub.docker.com/search?q=alpine&type=image

Then you would build your Docker file...
    A Docker file essentially is a script that contains all the actions you want to be performerd on the base image... like updating (or upgrading), app installation, configuration, more.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I don't know what your plan is for distributing and deploying the app you intend to build...
    Well, I would want a buildah (or docker file) or ansible playbook I can point to a public repo with my own apk's made of custom builds, and assemble my parts from that. Ansible, in particular, because I already host a cloud server that runs alpine directly, I have considered similar uses on arm, and I am involved in a risc-v effort that is using alpine. So most of my use cases are not even containers.

Blog Entries

The way Docker is set up, they encourage people to build containers of any type that that might be interesting, and are willing to host those containers for free... for public use(even if conceivably very few, maybe only you would have any interest). If you want to publish something privately, then you would have to host your own server...

Again, the attraction isn't that you would deploy on bare metal, you would be building something that could be deployed on any machine running docker no matter the distro or even MSWindows.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

The way Docker is set up, they encourage people to build containers of any type that that might be interesting, and are willing to host those containers for free... for public use(even if conceivably very few, maybe only you would have any interest). If you want to publish something privately, then you would have to host your own server...

Again, the attraction isn't that you would deploy on bare metal, you would be building something that could be deployed on any machine running docker no matter the distro or even MSWindows.

TSU
    I am actually mostly interested at the moment in building services on arm (like for raspberry pi for example), or even risc-v, that can be deployed and used at the edge / for IoT. OpenSUSE actually has a very good range of board support, in some ways is even more universal than Debian, and OBS can build opensuse arm packages easily and freely, though most people do not seem to make use of that, given that most people in the community do not seem to build beyond x86 and amd64 on OBS. But this kind of use was also why I had initially looked at the JeOS arm images. For containers, I did find what you had suggested about openSUSE MicroOS really fascinating, though, as I do also see eventually deploying services in the cloud that would then talk to edge endpoints.

Blog Entries

I am actually mostly interested at the moment in building services on arm (like for raspberry pi for example), or even risc-v, that can be deployed and used at the edge / for IoT. OpenSUSE actually has a very good range of board support, in some ways is even more universal than Debian, and OBS can build opensuse arm packages easily and freely, though most people do not seem to make use of that, given that most people in the community do not seem to build beyond x86 and amd64 on OBS. But this kind of use was also why I had initially looked at the JeOS arm images. For containers, I did find what you had suggested about openSUSE MicroOS really fascinating, though, as I do also see eventually deploying services in the cloud that would then talk to edge endpoints.
    Note that images for mobile devices aren't directly related to JeOS, but at least in RaspPi,
    It's commonly known that Debian created a completely unique approach to build Raspbian... and it's practically night and day how much better designed and easier to enhance and maintain than Uboot which all other distros use(eg try adding special hardware drivers on boot, on Raspbian you only need to add a 4-6 line config stanza, last I checked Uboot required massive convoluted configurations, commands and files)... Too bad the Raspbian approach supposedly uses some proprietary code which makes it off-limits for distros like openSUSE.

But otherwise,
    I'm not sure that JeOS should necessarily be that different across its many possible implementations, there probably would have to be some platform considerations like the likely fact that no ARM device code is likely found in an upstream main kernel, but otherwise I'd assume that once a release has been refactored, the same methods can be applied to all other releases.

AFAIK MicroOS may be a kind of JeOS in its design but is not officially labeled as such. In fact, I've speculated that MicroOS may have been created from the ground up rather than a typical JeOS approach which is likely based on removing everything non-essential from a working release.

Note also that AFAIK MicroOS is distributed only for use in Kubic (SUSE CAASP which is own flavor of Kubernetes). If you build a "normal" Docker container, you'll likely be using a different JeOS.

Note that much of this post is based on personal observation and speculation and not hard facts...
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Note that images for mobile devices aren't directly related to JeOS, but at least in RaspPi,
    It's commonly known that Debian created a completely unique approach to build Raspbian... and it's practically night and day how much better designed and easier to enhance and maintain than Uboot which all other distros use(eg try adding special hardware drivers on boot, on Raspbian you only need to add a 4-6 line config stanza, last I checked Uboot required massive convoluted configurations, commands and files)... Too bad the Raspbian approach supposedly uses some proprietary code which makes it off-limits for distros like openSUSE.
    Yes, but they actually boot thru the gpu, and that is what the blob is for.

In my case, I have been exploring where I want to use openSUSE. For development workstations that's a rather easy and clear choice to make. This is especially true now that I had figured out it is not all that hard to make my produceit package work on openSUSE. For more conventional enterprise servers and infrastructure needs, including telephony servers, it is clearly a good choice too. But for containers, for edge devices, it has the potential, but those do not feel as clear or compelling to me. It would be nice to unify around a single distro that really does it all, but I had already started using Alpine for those other more specialized roles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123