Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Upgrading an existing openSUSE installation from a standard BIOS motherboard to UEFI

Default Re: Upgrading an existing openSUSE installation from a standard BIOS motherboard to UEFI

I finally installed the new motherboard today and everything works almost perfectly! Before shutting down the previous system I switched from "GRUB2" to "GRUB2 for EFI", ensuring the sysconfig variables were also updated. After roughly three hours of doing the hardware work, I started it up and booted an openSUSE Tumbleweed ISO in rescue mode. I mounted everything and ran shim-install, no errors except some warnings about EFI variables not being supported. I restarted and the machine started just fine with Secure Boot enabled. There are only a few minor inconveniences introduced by the change at this moment... please let me know if any sounds familiar and has a solution available:

• I can't see CPU core temperatures nor any fan speeds, even after running sensors-detect again... I can only view the GPU temp as well as two motherboard temp sensors. I eagerly await the 5.4 Kernel which I was told will fix this issue. I can't safely do things like rendering in Blender without seeing the CPU temperature to make sure it doesn't exceed 97C* which is the official safe maximum.
    • YaST2 - Hardware - Sound lists two audio devices which are duplicate, invalid, and impossible to configure. I don't know how to get rid of them: Selecting them and clicking the delete button does nothing for some strange reason.
    • When recording from the microphone of the integrated audio card in Audacity, the program lags and I can barely see the green bar being raised by my voice. When playing back the recording it seems to be sped up several times and I only hear a squeak. Recording in Audacity worked fine from the audio card of the previous motherboard, and so does recording from my webcam mic on the new one: There might be something wrong with the audio driver for the new board.
    • I no longer see the plymouth splash screen, I'm always presented with the raw console. This happens on both startup and shutdown.
    • While GRUB2 is reached faster and no longer lags, the boot time after issuing the command has increased by a few seconds. Overall it's a few seconds longer than on the old board. This seems to have been introduced after plugging in all USB devices.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Default Re: Upgrading an existing openSUSE installation from a standard BIOS motherboard to UEFI

I removed the invalid sound cards left by the old mobo by deleting them and re-configuring all audio devices, while the splash screen shows again after adding splash=silent back to the kernel parameters. The rest should be okay for now. Thanks for all the help with this upgrade

Did you run mkinitrd to detect the new hardware??

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you run mkinitrd to detect the new hardware??
    I wasn't aware that was needed, was under the impression hardware is always detected at boot time. What's the exact command and parameters I should use for this? Note that I installed a kernel upgrade after the new motherboard (5.3.6 to 5.3.7), so if it's just recompiling the kernel then I should already have one based on the new system.

Just mkintrd as root. Then reboot

No to speed boot the hardware is pre detected and set until changed by mkinitrd

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Just mkintrd as root. Then reboot

No to speed boot the hardware is pre detected and set until changed by mkinitrd
    I went ahead and ran it; Nothing is different after restarting, but hopefully it fixed other potential obscure issues.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567