Leap 42.3 and 15.1 dual boot: Files copied to other SDD not visible. btrfs

In my dual boot computer I have leap 42.3 on internal SSD1 and Leap 15.1 on internal SSD2. I want to move all my stuff to Leap 15.1 on SSD2. So on Leap 42.3 I copied VirtualBox *ova files from /home/user (on xfs) to SSD2 /home/user (on btrfs). When I boot Leap 15.1 on SSD2 I cant see theses copied files. File permission are set 750 to standard user in leap42.3. I checked as root on Leap 15.1.

Snapper on both systems in standard configuration (which means, home dir is excluded?)

Any idea what is going on here? Thanks for any hint!

Not much technical details here.

You copied, but which of both systems was running at that time?
How did you copy (cp, rsync, …)?
What is the technical equivalent of your |“I cant see”? You did an ls -la? or what?

Both systems were running at different times (dual boot). Please read above. I dont know how to explain it more clearly. Sorry for my english.

On Leap 42.3 I used Dolphin for the copy, it is a plain cp, I guess.

On Leap 15.1 in Dolphin files are not visible in the dir they were copied to. More technical: If I looked at it in the console using a ls, the result would be an empty list.

It is almost always wrong to attempt to explain what computer did. Copy-paste exact commands and their output starting with mounting filesystem where files are located.

You mention “btrfs” in the title.

If you mount a “btrfs” file system from the other linux, then you won’t see all of the files unless you also mount the “btrfs” subvolumes.

Sorry, I attempted to “explain” what I did, not what the computer did.

I did not use command line to copy the files.
On the Leap 42.3 System on dev/sda2 I saved the *.ova files in VirtualBox without command line to the directory:
/run/media/root/2dd459e0-7c42-44b6-92ca-0a277b38f4d2/home/Dokumente/vbox_export/

This directory is on the following mount point: in /proc/mounts I have the following entry:
/dev/sdc2 /run/media/root/2dd459e0-7c42-44b6-92ca-0a277b38f4d2 btrfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=268,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot 0 0

When I boot the Leap 15.1 System on the same computer but diffrent SSD (on /dev/sdc2) I am not able to read the copied files, i.e.
cd /home/username/Dokumente/vbox_export
ls -la

shows an empty list. The folder is “empty”

Other directories in /home/username/Dokumente/ that were not copied but created in the booted system itself are visible.

Hope it is clearer now. Sorry, it is hard for me to explain.

That is not the point. The files I cant see in Leap 15.1 lie on the btrfs filesystem I have mounted on Leap 15.1 on dev/sdc2. Why I cant see them I have no clue.

On the other hand In Leap 42.3 I mount the btrfs of the “other system” on /dev/sdc2 but afaik dont mount the subvolumes. Still I see all files there and can copy files there.

Show /proc/mounts from 15.1.

If you know better, why ask in the first place?

just wanted to make clear that I didn’t mount a “btrfs” file system from the other linux like you said. Thats all. I don’t think I know better, otherwise I would not ask, that’s true.:slight_smile:

here we go
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,size=8144496k,nr_inodes=2036124,mode=755 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/unified cgroup2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd 0 0
pstore /sys/fs/pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/pids cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb 0 0
/dev/sdc2 / btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=268,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot 0 0
systemd-1 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc autofs rw,relatime,fd=34,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=13236 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
hugetlbfs /dev/hugepages hugetlbfs rw,relatime 0 0
mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /boot/efi vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /home btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=264,subvol=/@/home 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /.snapshots btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=267,subvol=/@/.snapshots 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=265,subvol=/@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /boot/grub2/i386-pc btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=266,subvol=/@/boot/grub2/i386-pc 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /opt btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=263,subvol=/@/opt 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /srv btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=261,subvol=/@/srv 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /var btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=258,subvol=/@/var 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /root btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=262,subvol=/@/root 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /tmp btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=260,subvol=/@/tmp 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /usr/local btrfs rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=259,subvol=/@/usr/local 0 0
tmpfs /run/user/1000 tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1630632k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=100 0 0
tracefs /sys/kernel/debug/tracing tracefs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/sda3 /run/media/myuser/344534e4-b453-4430-87b4-1cdc093302a7 xfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota 0 0

anyone, who can give me some hints with these informations?

Maybe this can give you a hint to figure out what is going on: When I copy a file from Leap 42.3 on /dev/sda2/ to /dev/sdc2/ to the root directory / and I log into Leap 15.1 on /dev/sdc2/ afterwards I can see this file. Copies to any other directory on /dev/sdc2/ however are not visible to me when I am logged in to Leap 15.1 on /dev/sdc2/.
How can that be?
Any help appreciated.

You /home is located in subvolume @/home, while you mounted default root subvolume. When you boot into 15.1 whatever you copied there is hidden below /home mount point.

If you want to copy data into your home directory you need to mount the correct subvolume:

mount -t btrfs -o subvol=/@/home /dev/sdc2 /mnt

Pick your mount point.

Thanks, arvidjaar. When I do that, then from leap42.3 I have the same “view” on home folder like when I boot Leap 15.1, i.e. I see the same files. That’s perfect and future copies should work fine.

Now I’m wondering, what directory on /dev/sdc2 I copied the *.ova files to. Leap 42.3 booted I do a

find / -name *.ova 

and the files are found in

./run/media/myuser/2dd459e0-7c42-44b6-92ca-0a277b38f4d2/home/Dokumente/vbox_export/...

How can I access this directory from Leap 15.1?

Either unmount /home or explicitly mount default subvolume once more (mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt); pick your device name and mount point.

thanks @arvidjaar for your help. Still I didn’t get it fixed.

I decided to reinstall 15.1 with ext4 partitions instead of btrfs because btrfs setup was to complicated for my limited administration skills.

Unfortunately new errors arised: I can not boot 42.3 anymore after the install of 15.1. I open a new thread for this as its a new topic.

Thanks again all.