journalctl - external access ?

Is it please possible to access readable journalctl data from another linux distribution ?

Not to my best knowledge. It is possible to forward journal data to remote system, but not access remotely.

Thank you. Excuse me, “another linux distribution” I meant is on same disk so no need for remote access.

Just mount filesystem with journal files and use “journalctl -D”. See “man journalctl” for details.

I just ssh into the machine I want to look at - for those machines that have nat addresses - I use ssh from them to my host and access via reverse port to connect.

There are almost 50,000 SUSE machines that are done this way - I used to support them - we had to look for disk failures remotely on each one - I did that once an hour. There was a cron job to make sure that the reverse port was up on each box - I was a pain to keep up with them - each host (there were about 9000) had the local boxes nat to them. Each host polled the local boxes and my support box (2 virtual machines running centos linux) polled about half of the host machines. The log files with problems were scanned and trouble tickets generated if needed.

Thank you, that’s interesting. No wonder SUSE is your last (current) distro :slight_smile:

Thank you.

For the sake of archives - I was wrong: systemd-journal-gatewayd.service