Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can upgrade from 15.1 to .2 be done by editing repos and running zypper in tty?

Default Can upgrade from 15.1 to .2 be done by editing repos and running zypper in tty?

Folks:

Haven't seen any problems showing up on the forum for 15.2 so far . . . I have 15.1 installed on a 09 MBPro and was using MATE until the recent problems . . . and then even after the fix MATE isn't back to what it was . . . I'm thinking about just jumping up to 15.2 . . . .

Is it possible to edit the repos where it says "15.1" to say "15.2" and then running zypper to upgrade the system . . . or, nope that isn't "released" yet so the only way to get there is by booting the install as disk or USB drive and either running a fresh install or would that offer "upgrade" and most of the present install would be generally preserved as far as grub and so forth goes??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can upgrade from 15.1 to .2 be done by editing repos and running zypper in tty?

Leap 15.2 is still in alpha testing. I do not recommend upgrading to that.

I am testing 15.2 in a virtual machine. But I won't upgrade anything or install on a real machine until it is closer to being ready.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: Can upgrade from 15.1 to .2 be done by editing repos and running zypper in tty?

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Leap 15.2 is still in alpha testing. I do not recommend upgrading to that.

I am testing 15.2 in a virtual machine. But I won't upgrade anything or install on a real machine until it is closer to being ready.
    @nrickert:

Thanks for the reply, I do remember that was your previous advice . . . is it something that could or would do sabotage to the host machine, or it's just kinda spotty in what works or doesn't work?

I wanted "stability" or less maintenance than TW for my laptop, that's why I went with 15.1 in it, but then MATE got all busted up and it still is "wonky" as far as toolbars go . . . browser windows disappear to . . . somewhere . . . had to log out of MATE and go to Gnome Classic to find all of the opened windows, etc.

So, would 15.2 be "worse" than breaking a pattern functionality?? I'm not entirely in a raging rush, but I did find the current build of 15.2, but it would take some fiddling to get it ready to install as right now the Nvidia drivers aren't providing access to a working TTY . . . it isn't exactly full functioning in what I have now . . . so I was just going to jump up to "something completely different"???

I might have a version of OpenBox set up somewhere in one of my installs . . . but I usually do "bare metal" and if they make a mess I wipe, etc . . .

Blog Entries

If you're familiar with virtualization like Virtualbox,
    Try installing MAT as your original DE... Without any other DE on the system (I don't have to repeat how to do that, right?)
    If it looks right in a VM, it's highly likely that means that it should look that way on a real, physical install as well.
    Then, you can decide... If your machine is very new with relatively little installed and configured then it might make sense to just re-install.
    At least, that might be a more straight-forward approach without headaches instead of trying to track down exactly what might be causing your MATE problems.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you're familiar with virtualization like Virtualbox,
    Try installing MAT as your original DE... Without any other DE on the system (I don't have to repeat how to do that, right?)
    If it looks right in a VM, it's highly likely that means that it should look that way on a real, physical install as well.
    Then, you can decide... If your machine is very new with relatively little installed and configured then it might make sense to just re-install.
    At least, that might be a more straight-forward approach without headaches instead of trying to track down exactly what might be causing your MATE problems.

TSU
    @tsu2:

Thanks for the suggestion . . . since there isn't a "live" version, the idea of installing into a VM is a good idea . . . . And, nope, you don't have to repeat the "bare bones install" instructions . . . I think I have that one under control . . . . : - )

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Is it possible to edit the repos where it says "15.1" to say "15.2" and then running zypper to upgrade the system
    Sure. It differs from what TW users routinely do only in that editing first isn't needed. I've done at least three 15.1 to 15.2s that way so far, but they are all on test PCs. As the others have written, it's not a good plan for an only installation that needs to be reliable daily.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    ..., but then MATE got all busted up and it still is "wonky" as far as toolbars go . . . browser windows disappear to . . . somewhere . . . had to log out of MATE and go to Gnome Classic to find all of the opened windows, etc.
    Have you tried creating a new user account, and running MATE on that? This tests whether your problems are due to messed up user settings.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I use MATE as well and this might help.

I found that there is something that changes the access to the user's dconf/user file to root:root and that cause mate-panel to die.

I caught it by having the journalctl log running in a terminal and saw that mate-panel could not access it - after about a minute mate-panel and the interface went south.

my temporary fix is a root cronjob once a minute to check the file in the box - here the user is user (if user is 1000) this will keep mate-panel from going south. No idea what changes it to root:root.

Code:
     /usr/bin/chown 1000:100 /run/user/1000/dconf/user
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Sure. It differs from what TW users routinely do only in that editing first isn't needed. I've done at least three 15.1 to 15.2s that way so far, but they are all on test PCs. As the others have written, it's not a good plan for an only installation that needs to be reliable daily.
    @mrmazda: Alright!! Thanks for that reply . . . that might be the "easy" way to upgrade . . . most of my linux installs are "test" "mules" . . . only problem right now is no access to the TTY, have to change out of nvidia drivers to get back to that.

Have you tried creating a new user account, and running MATE on that? This tests whether your problems are due to messed up user settings.
    @nrickert: Haven't done that, in that we know that some of the mate packages got broken . . . then were apparently fixed?? So, you are suggesting that something might have affected the original user account in the breakage/repair so the only way out of that is by making a new account? Easy enough to check . . . .

@nrickerts
    Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    I use MATE as well and this might help.
    I found that there is something that changes the access to the user's dconf/user file to root:root and that cause mate-panel to die.
    I caught it by having the journalctl log running in a terminal and saw that mate-panel could not access it - after about a minute mate-panel and the interface went south.
    my temporary fix is a root cronjob once a minute to check the file in the box - here the user is user (if user is 1000) this will keep mate-panel from going south. No idea what changes it to root:root.

Code:
     /usr/bin/chown 1000:100 /run/user/1000/dconf/user
    @larryr:

OK, well similar answer . . . the mate panel and a couple packages relating to it were done broke . . . but in my case the repairs didn't seem to do a full repair . . . so possibly there are other damages . . . similar to what nrickert is referring to via the user account . . . that you found could be compensated for by your cronjob . . . ??

@et al: Thanks for the responses, it'll take some time to check out these ideas . . . .

@nrickert:

So I did manage to create a new user account and logged into MATE session and it appears to be working as it should, at least the original MATE drop down menu from the panel is working as it did before the recent breakages . . . . So how would I try to fix the original user account so that MATE would be able to recover itself?? Possible? Or if I want MATE I have to use the new account??

n_s

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast