Thread: Thunderbird Archives and Local Folder Guidance Needed Please

Default Thunderbird Archives and Local Folder Guidance Needed Please

I am slowly getting round to archiving my IMAP messages so I can get them off the server and to storage off site but able to retrieve them if required. I have two questions:-

1. When messages have attachments such as pdf files etc. will these be included in the archived messages?

2. At present I have the messages saved in sub directories according to subject etc. which are put there by filters. If I wished to have the messages just in one directory in date order before saving to the archive, how do I remove the subdirectories without risk of deletion? In other words un-filter the messages so they are all in the INBOX?

Default Re: Thunderbird Archives and Local Folder Guidance Needed Please

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    1. When messages have attachments such as pdf files etc. will these be included in the archived messages?
    In TB an attachment remains with the email until one either detaches or deletes it.

At present I have the messages saved in sub directories according to subject etc. which are put there by filters. If I wished to have the messages just in one directory in date order before saving to the archive, how do I remove the subdirectories without risk of deletion? In other words un-filter the messages so they are all in the INBOX?
    Un-filter... hmmm...

Perhaps by creating a new filter?

Thinking aloud, not tried this...

Create a new filter to act on the local folders - use the match all messages criteria - with the action of move to inbox - then manually run the filter.

If you have existing filters that work on the inbox, depending upon how you've set them up, you may need to temporarily disable them ... or you may get some never ending filter loop happening.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191211) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5