Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which community software repo should I choose?

Default which community software repo should I choose?

As the pictures show,

I want to install software "codeblocks",but it can't be found in openSUSE OSS or non-oss repo.

So,I login this website: software.opensuse.org

and find this software.

But the question is,so many so many community software repo,which one should I choose is better? Which one has less bugs or problems? I am very confused.

Could you give me some advice?

Blog Entries

Default Re: which community software repo should I choose?

IMO
    The software search website's label "Community" is a misnomer and contrary to ordinary meaning by the world, the use here is by "individuals who participate in a loose community of openSUSE Users" (note my reluctance to capitalize "community."

Instead, you should click on the "Experimental" link which will include established Project Communities, which is more consistent with how the world defines "Community."

I've complained about this everywhere I can but haven't heard a single hint of a response,
    This is simply a decision made by someone(s) who don't seem willing to change (The effort to switch categories would likely be next to insignificant, a change in the page template switching text in the labels).

So,
    Do as I describe (click on "Experimental" and view your choices), and you'll be better for it.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO
    The software search website's label "Community" is a misnomer and contrary to ordinary meaning by the world, the use here is by "individuals who participate in a loose community of openSUSE Users" (note my reluctance to capitalize "community."

Instead, you should click on the "Experimental" link which will include established Project Communities, which is more consistent with how the world defines "Community."

I've complained about this everywhere I can but haven't heard a single hint of a response,
    This is simply a decision made by someone(s) who don't seem willing to change (The effort to switch categories would likely be next to insignificant, a change in the page template switching text in the labels).

So,
    Do as I describe (click on "Experimental" and view your choices), and you'll be better for it.

TSU

Are you sure????

I just did it as you said,but I only found codeblocks 16.01 in openSUSE tumbleweed experimental repo,16.01 is a very old version......

So how to get the latest version codeblocks 17.12 in a best way?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mkm19930608 View Post
    Are you sure????

I just did it as you said,but I only found codeblocks 16.01 in openSUSE tumbleweed experimental repo,16.01 is a very old version......

So how to get the latest version codeblocks 17.12 in a best way?
    You should submit a feature request to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org, requesting that the most recent source be compiled.

If you're in a hurry, then you may want to install from an individual's home repository, that's what they're there for... Individuals who take it upon themselves to package something before ti's generally available.

Other option of course is to build from source but many people prefer not to do that, and would rather install a package.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

IMO

So,

TSU
    TSU, I do not agree here. The "Experimental" means that these are versions/additions to the repo that have been revied / tested, but not (yet) accepted in the distro. The "Community" means that these are packages built by users in the community. A good example is my own repo, which builds packages for 15.0, 15.1, TW. They are nothing more than a number of packages I ( and some friends ) use. The normal procedure for devs/packagers on OBS is build in home:USER -> push to ( devel -> ) Factory (TW).
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    TSU, I do not agree here. The "Experimental" means that these are versions/additions to the repo that have been revied / tested, but not (yet) accepted in the distro. The "Community" means that these are packages built by users in the community. A good example is my own repo, which builds packages for 15.0, 15.1, TW. They are nothing more than a number of packages I ( and some friends ) use. The normal procedure for devs/packagers on OBS is build in home:USER -> push to ( devel -> ) Factory (TW).
    Thanks for your replying administrator!

So,I want to use the latest edition codeblocks 17.12 in openSUSE tumbleweed, Which community repo should I choose? In your opinion?

How to know which repo has less bugs or less problems?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mkm19930608 View Post
    ... So,I want to use the latest edition codeblocks 17.12 in openSUSE tumbleweed, Which community repo should I choose? In your opinion?

How to know which repo has less bugs or less problems?
    At a quick look, they're all built from the same source "codeblocks_17.12.tar.xz"
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191211) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I remain unconvinced,
    Explanation for why these labels were chosen by openSUSE in my opinion is still not consistent with <common> and intuitive use.
    "Experimental" implies some extra amount of risk.
    "Community" suggests support by multiple members of a community and a more tested, less risky offering.

So, for example when we speak of FOSS projects do we refer to them as communities or as experimental efforts?
    When you look for software related to those FOSS projects, is it not natural to look for them in a category of Communities?

The home projects if anything are IMO the experimental builds, created by individuals and not likely subject to the resources and procedures imposed by a group (community) of fellow developers.

I doubt any other distro anywhere uses these labels the same way openSUSE does.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

I remain unconvinced,
    Explanation for why these labels were chosen by openSUSE in my opinion is still not consistent with <common> and intuitive use.
    "Experimental" implies some extra amount of risk.
    "Community" suggests support by multiple members of a community and a more tested, less risky offering.

So, for example when we speak of FOSS projects do we refer to them as communities or as experimental efforts?
    When you look for software related to those FOSS projects, is it not natural to look for them in a category of Communities?

The home projects if anything are IMO the experimental builds, created by individuals and not likely subject to the resources and procedures imposed by a group (community) of fellow developers.

I doubt any other distro anywhere uses these labels the same way openSUSE does.

TSU
    Hi
    So go change them (I have posted links in the past of where to go) instead of whining about it all the time (or move this type of post over to Soapbox)!

FWIW, the build checks/rules etc are the same, so code wise the user can can choose to ignore, this can be done even on the experimental (development) side of OBS, they only thing is neither will make it into the distribution. So your point is moot.

Best way to fix is get a bug report raised against codeblocks or branch and update the experimental build or branch/copypac and build yourself. Bottom line if it's important to you with the openSUSE ecosystem it's fixable, just wade in and get your hands dirty....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So go change them (I have posted links in the past of where to go) instead of whining about it all the time (or move this type of post over to Soapbox)!

FWIW, the build checks/rules etc are the same, so code wise the user can can choose to ignore, this can be done even on the experimental (development) side of OBS, they only thing is neither will make it into the distribution. So your point is moot.

Best way to fix is get a bug report raised against codeblocks or branch and update the experimental build or branch/copypac and build yourself. Bottom line if it's important to you with the openSUSE ecosystem it's fixable, just wade in and get your hands dirty....
    Don't know if we're talking about the same thing,
    Am not talking about a specific package.
    Am talking about the software search tool which I assume was created by, and is maintained by an assigned team.

So, of course I am more than reluctant to simply take it upon myself to make changes directly especially when something like this is typically in a spec somewhere and reviewed (at least in my experience).

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast