Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: vendor change necessity

  1. #1

    Default vendor change necessity

    when i should to do a vendor change? is it safe to do so? are obs packages safe to install? it's like aur in arch?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,755
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    Vendor change is a mistake -- except when it isn't a mistake.

    Yes, that isn't very helpful.

    Let's try this way: an unintended vendor change is probably a mistake.

    Many packages depend on other packages (such as libraries). If you want to change vendor for one package, you might need to also change for other related packages.

    Treat it as a warning to tread carefully.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,377
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    IMO a good rule of thumb is to just let the system manage your vendor stickiness unless you have special reason to over-ride (eg you absolutely need that particular version for a specific use).

    The openSUSE Maintainers will build that logic into your updates so that although some packages may be available but not yet ready for a full distribution are left only as optional. I generally trust the Maintainers to decide what I typically need and don't usually run into any issues.

    IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  4. #4

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    IMO a good rule of thumb is to just let the system manage your vendor stickiness unless you have special reason to over-ride (eg you absolutely need that particular version for a specific use).

    The openSUSE Maintainers will build that logic into your updates so that although some packages may be available but not yet ready for a full distribution are left only as optional. I generally trust the Maintainers to decide what I typically need and don't usually run into any issues.

    IMO,
    TSU

    so is a reverse possible? can i get things back?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,983
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    Quote Originally Posted by PejmanR View Post
    so is a reverse possible? can i get things back?
    Yep. By removing such a repo, then run 'zypper dup'.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    thanks for replies.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    Quote Originally Posted by PejmanR View Post
    when i should to do a vendor change? is it safe to do so? are obs packages safe to install? it's like aur in arch?
    Do you think you may need a vendor-change for some packages?

    I've found It necessary to change the VLC vendor to Packman-Essentials in order to view TV content here using Firefox, and that involves changing quite a few (~25?) other packages on which VLC is dependent.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,755
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: vendor change necessity

    Quote Originally Posted by dlochrin View Post
    I've found It necessary to change the VLC vendor to Packman-Essentials in order to view TV content here using Firefox, and that involves changing quite a few (~25?) other packages on which VLC is dependent.
    Yes, many openSUSE users switch packages to packman.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •