Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Linux Login with Pam

  1. #1

    Default Linux Login with Pam

    I have been struggling with setting up a NitroKey Storage key device and there are instructions on the NitroKey web site but...

    The instructions which seem to me simplest require Poldi and I cannot find this on the Tumbleweed repos I have installed.

    Pam_p11 is also suggested and is available in the repo but this approach appears to use X509 CA Certificates and this is well above my ability at present.

    How can I get Poldi and can anybody give any advice or experience using it please?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,236

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    How can I get Poldi
    a) find someone who already built it for your distribution
    b) build it yourself
    c) ask someone to do it for you
    d) pay someone to do it for you

    I do not see anyone building it in OBS which with high probability means you realistically have only three options.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,236

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Pam_p11 is also suggested and is available in the repo but this approach appears to use X509 CA Certificates
    According to readme on pam_p11 site
    Code:
    Pam_p11 implements two authentication methods:
    
    • verify a token using a known public key found in OpenSSH's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
    • verify a token using a known certificate found in ~/.eid/authorized_certificates.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    According to readme on pam_p11 site
    Code:
    Pam_p11 implements two authentication methods:
    
    • verify a token using a known public key found in OpenSSH's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
    • verify a token using a known certificate found in ~/.eid/authorized_certificates.
    OK and thanks again for the advice. I will research more on the Pam_p11 as I only checked one article by the author and it was over my head.

    Will also have a go at building poldi.

    Many thanks,
    Budge

  5. #5

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Hi and thanks again. I had been looking in the wrong place. The Nitrokey Applications gave me the link for Pam-PKCS11 manual which, not surprisingly, gives instructions for CS Certificate application. The documentation from Pam_p11 download is what you showed me and clearly covers both cases and I shall try and get working.
    There is one minor issue which is that the Pam_p11 version on repo site is slightly older than that on oss-sec website and when I tried to build it I ran into too many conflicts for my liking.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,499
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Worth reposting general posting "Best Practice"

    If you're following guide or instructions on the Internet, post a link to it.
    If you experience an error, post the command you ran and the exact output that results.

    An x509 certificate is simply a string of text characters that's used to authenticate, more specifically in web applications like a website or authenticating Users, commonly used in SSL connections.
    So, as described, an x509 certificate can be generated by various utilities like openssh and openssl.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Hi Tsu, sorry I was thinking out loud as it were. OK I have file in~/Downloads/pam_p11-0.3.1.tar.gz where I have extracted it. The installation instructions are straight forward so as instructed I ran:-

    Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~/Downloads/pam_p11-0.3.1> ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/lib/
    I ran this as me not root. I think all went OK after I had sorted out some conflicts.

    Running make gave me information which seemed to include errors and when I ran make install and this told me there were insufficient permissions for the installation. It seems to me I should run make install as root but possibly I should have run make also as root.
    Having run sudo make install everything ran as expected but I suspect some libraries may be in wrong place because I only ran make as me not sudo make.

    I hope this is making sense and would appreciate your advice before proceeding as there are instructions I do not understand at the end. Here is my console output, warts and all and I would very much appreciate your advice here.

    https://paste.opensuse.org/3863379

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,499
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Tsu, sorry I was thinking out loud as it were. OK I have file in~/Downloads/pam_p11-0.3.1.tar.gz where I have extracted it. The installation instructions are straight forward so as instructed I ran:-

    Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~/Downloads/pam_p11-0.3.1> ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/lib/
    I ran this as me not root. I think all went OK after I had sorted out some conflicts.

    Running make gave me information which seemed to include errors and when I ran make install and this told me there were insufficient permissions for the installation. It seems to me I should run make install as root but possibly I should have run make also as root.
    Having run sudo make install everything ran as expected but I suspect some libraries may be in wrong place because I only ran make as me not sudo make.

    I hope this is making sense and would appreciate your advice before proceeding as there are instructions I do not understand at the end. Here is my console output, warts and all and I would very much appreciate your advice here.

    https://paste.opensuse.org/3863379
    Yes, your "make" returned a critical error.
    You should generally run a 3 commands as root (This is where you can take advantage of openSUSE permissive use of root to just run the commands in a root console instead of using sudo).

    So, as is typically, the case, just do that... run all 3 commands as root and you should be fine, the results should over-write your mistakes.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Hi Tsu,
    Many thanks for the advice. I have rebuilt and installed pam_p11 and there were no errors this time so I think all is OK except for the comment, still repeated after the install. The script for the whole process is in the suse past file above and in particular lines 393 to 418 and in particular line 405:-

    - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to '/etc/ld.so.conf'
    I do not understand the reference to LIBDIR.

    I had ignored this earlier thinking I would not need it but out of the blue, after logging in just now, a window opened with the text:-

    Code:
    add LIBDIR to etc/ld.so.conf
    the window appeared as a plain screen, no other text and I had difficulty removing it.

    Clearly I need to do as instructed if only I knew about LIBDIR.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,254
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Yes, your "make" returned a critical error.
    You should generally run a 3 commands as root (This is where you can take advantage of openSUSE permissive use of root to just run the commands in a root console instead of using sudo).

    So, as is typically, the case, just do that... run all 3 commands as root and you should be fine, the results should over-write your mistakes.

    TSU
    Hi
    That is just plain asinine, configure and build as your user, install as root.....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •