Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed how to migrate a dual boot install to a MSATA drive.

Default Re: Advice needed how to migrate a dual boot install to a MSATA drive.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Any reason not to upgrade to Windows 10 (free upgrade from Windows 7)? What about fresh installs?
    And of course openSUSE Leap 15.1. Why stick to the very outdated 13.2?
    You mention installing 13.2. You may still have the ISO image, but I assume all repos for bringing it to it's end situation (2017-01-17) will be gone already.
    Henk van Velden

I am willing to update the SUSE version to 15.1. Unfortunately during my last update from 13.1 to 13.2 grub stopped working and since then I am a bit afraid to update. I have to check the documentation how the update to 15.1 is done. In the past I used just to rename the repositories and then run update. If the update is easy to do, I can just use the same usb to copy the drives later.
    In general, is the latest version of open suse really needed for the drive copy/cloning. I assumed that for this task I need only a few command line tools.

Quote Originally Posted by john_snow View Post
    I am willing to update the SUSE version to 15.1. Unfortunately during my last update from 13.1 to 13.2 grub stopped working and since then I am a bit afraid to update. I have to check the documentation how the update to 15.1 is done. In the past I used just to rename the repositories and then run update. If the update is easy to do, I can just use the same usb to copy the drives later.
    In general, is the latest version of open suse really needed for the drive copy/cloning. I assumed that for this task I need only a few command line tools.
    I think you must be aware of the fact that on the question "Advice needed how ....", you will get several answers from several people, each with their own ideas and preferences.

I e.g. would never do this with "cloning". I would do this with fresh installs on the new disk (of course restoring my user's data (not by e.g. "cloning /home, but by ofload and restore of the files).).

I would also not even try to make such a bit jump from 13.2 to 15.1 by changing the repos and zypper dup.

But that is just me. And saying that, I will not give any advice on the MS Windows side of this, because I do not use it and have no idea.
    Last edited by hcvv; 18-Sep-2019 at 04:02.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I think you must be aware of the fact that on the question "Advice needed how ....", you will get several answers from several people, each with their own ideas and preferences.

I e.g. would never do this with "cloning". I would do this with fresh installs on the new disk (of course restoring my user's data (not by e.g. "cloning /home, but by ofload and restore of the files).).

I would also not even try to make such a bit jump from 13.2 to 15.1 by changing the repos and zypper dup.

But that is just me. And saying that, I will not give any advice on the MS Windows side of this, because I do not use it and have no idea.

Thank you for the reply. I presumed that this type of disk clone can be done. Now I see that it is more complicated. I really don't like to do fresh installs. If possible I would like to just clone the drive, with the part of fixing the different sizes remaining.
    Since I can plug both drives to the same machine, copying with some linux tool looks promising to me.

Hi again!
    What do you mean with later?

The plot would be the following:
    (1) Install openSUSE (probably Leap 15.1, more on that below) on the USB stick. Then you have TWO installations of openSUSE, 13.2 on your HDD, and 15.1 on your USB stick.
    (2) Boot from USB stick an check that Leap 15.1 works well (another reason to install Leap 15.1 on the USB stick instead of 13.2).
    (3) Copy the contents of your HDD (including all partitions / installations) to the SSD.
    (4) Shut down an unplug HDD.
    (5) Boot from USB again and use gparted (to be installed under 15.1, and under 13.2 as well) to check if the extra space on your SSD is recognised, and try to create two additional partitions in your extended partition (partition number 3 in your output from "parted -l") that take this extra space (which was not present on the HDD).
    (6) Try to boot from SSD.
    (7) Use the same 15.1 installer to install 15.1 in the two additional partitions (serving as / and /home) that were created in the extended partition on your SSD.
    Result: Triple boot windoze 7 / openSUSE 13.2 / openSUSE Leap 15.1 .

You may later use the two partitions of openSUSE 13.2 to make a fresh install of Leap 15.2 when this will be available, if you like.

So it would be: firstly installation of 15.1 on USB, then copying, secondly installation of 15.1 on SSD, no update.
    If you would like to have it that way.

Well, to have gparted installed is in general very useful, especially if you're no professional on the command line, because gparted provides a graphical user interface.
    And you probably would want to have a recent version of gparted.

As well as a recent version of firefox, for the case that you want to use a browser and access the internet from the openSUSE that is to be installed on the USB stick.

So, Henk is right:
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And of course openSUSE Leap 15.1. Why stick to the very outdated 13.2?
    I've been a bit too quick with my earlier suggestion to install 13.2 on the USB stick, I have to admit.
    For the command line tools as such, 13.2 may be OK, and the dd command didn't change much since, but for the other things ...

I really don't like to do fresh installs.
    And you don't like updates either ... but you should be aware of that it's really not secure to use an outdated browser or have an outdated system exposed to the internet?

OK, so you probably could need a bit of guidance installing Leap 15.1 on the USB stick, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    Hi again!
    What do you mean with later?

The plot would be the following:
    (1) Install openSUSE (probably Leap 15.1, more on that below) on the USB stick. Then you have TWO installations of openSUSE, 13.2 on your HDD, and 15.1 on your USB stick.
    (2) Boot from USB stick an check that Leap 15.1 works well (another reason to install Leap 15.1 on the USB stick instead of 13.2).
    (3) Copy the contents of your HDD (including all partitions / installations) to the SSD.
    (4) Shut down an unplug HDD.
    (5) Boot from USB again and use gparted (to be installed under 15.1, and under 13.2 as well) to check if the extra space on your SSD is recognised, and try to create two additional partitions in your extended partition (partition number 3 in your output from "parted -l") that take this extra space (which was not present on the HDD).
    (6) Try to boot from SSD.
    (7) Use the same 15.1 installer to install 15.1 in the two additional partitions (serving as / and /home) that were created in the extended partition on your SSD.
    Result: Triple boot windoze 7 / openSUSE 13.2 / openSUSE Leap 15.1 .

You may later use the two partitions of openSUSE 13.2 to make a fresh install of Leap 15.2 when this will be available, if you like.

So it would be: firstly installation of 15.1 on USB, then copying, secondly installation of 15.1 on SSD, no update.
    If you would like to have it that way.

Well, to have gparted installed is in general very useful, especially if you're no professional on the command line, because gparted provides a graphical user interface.
    And you probably would want to have a recent version of gparted.

As well as a recent version of firefox, for the case that you want to use a browser and access the internet from the openSUSE that is to be installed on the USB stick.

So, Henk is right:

I've been a bit too quick with my earlier suggestion to install 13.2 on the USB stick, I have to admit.
    For the command line tools as such, 13.2 may be OK, and the dd command didn't change much since, but for the other things ...

This looks promising to me. I would probably skip installing 15.1 for the time being and just use it for the file copy part. If understand this correctly, from the command line of the live usb I have to run dd. However, having multiple partitions, I am not sure how exactly is this going to work? I guess that it is not just

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sdb1  of=/dev/sdc1
    Where sdb1 is the mechanical drive and sdc is the msata. Actually I don't plan to format or reuse the old drive and will keep it as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    And you don't like updates either ... but you should be aware of that it's really not secure to use an outdated browser or have an outdated system exposed to the internet?

OK, so you probably could need a bit of guidance installing Leap 15.1 on the USB stick, right?
    In the past I did all the updates from the command line by zypper update. This worked and all the files i had were unchanged. Is something like this possible going from 13.2 to 15.1.

Concerning the USB, if the method is the same as 13.x versions I think that I would be able to manage that.

Blog Entries

<snip>
    Concerning the comment about windows 10 update. I don't pan to do that for the time being. I guess that this will mess my dual boot and for what I am doing windows 7 is just fine.
    Hi
    Well a few months left of Win7 extended support, seems prudent to update? At least you still have a chance to get a free upgrade, then if not using windows much, just run a virtualized version...no need to dual boot...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast