Thread: How do I boot to a snapper restore point in an encrypted root system

Default How do I boot to a snapper restore point in an encrypted root system

A system upgrade from 15.0 to 15.1 on a machine failed as some btrfsmaintence package got stuck during installation and I had forced a reboot.
    Now the reboot can get me to the login screen but I can only log into icewm DE instead of KDE. I can see that I have several pre-snapshots before the system upgrade but I can't see how to boot to any.

The / and /home are subvolumes in a luks encrypted LVM physical partition. In grub boot menu, I don't have snapshots options at the moment.

Default Re: How do I boot to a snapper restore point in an encrypted root system

The root file system needs to be Btrfs. Booting from LVM volume snapshots is not supported.
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati....snapshot-boot

Related bug report: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1110259
    Tumbleweed, Xfce, Firefox, uBlock Origin

Default Re: How do I boot to a snapper restore point in an encrypted root system

Thank you for the info.

Now I wonder if snapper undo change can help? But the snapshot I want to use is say 7, but I'm now at 9, 10 something, although I didn't do much change after the upgrade broke the OS.

Should I do undo 10-9 then 9-8, then 8-7 or I can go directly from 10-7?

In theory you can use whatever snapshot you want.
    Tumbleweed, Xfce, Firefox, uBlock Origin

Quote Originally Posted by moshpuke View Post
    Should I do undo 10-9 then 9-8, then 8-7 or I can go directly from 10-7?
    When you perform "snapper rollback" you do not "undo" anything - you switch your complete root filesystem to this snapshot. So it does not matter which one you chose - it will always be full snapshot, not some incremental change.

Booting from LiveCD, I restore the system in encrypted LVM by setting the default subvolume in commandline, but it is some problems that after making change and reboot, I can't use snapper to create new snapshot, what is my wrong here?