Thread: Libre box: Has anybody experience with openSuse TW or Leap 15.x?

Question Libre box: Has anybody experience with openSuse TW or Leap 15.x?

Hy!

I'm thinking about buying a box of these here:

https://libretrend.com/specs/librebox/

They come with Debian or other flavors, but I would like to make it a TW/Leap machine.

Has anybody ever tried?

Many thanks in advance
    Kind regards

raspu

Default Re: Libre box: Has anybody experience with openSuse TW or Leap 15.x?

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a box of these here:

https://libretrend.com/specs/librebox/

They come with Debian or other flavors, but I would like to make it a TW/Leap machine.

Has anybody ever tried?
    Not me, but rest assured if Debian and Fedora, as is the case here, are reputed to be favorable OS choices, that any currently supported openSUSE release should work just as well.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Blog Entries

Hi
    Likewise, no experience. It's an older generation CPU (2015?), to be honest the price seems a bit on the high side? It uses coreboot... https://doc.coreboot.org/getting_started/index.html
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Coreboot and the crippled ME are the selling point of the box, so: Yes, it's coreboot. ;-)

Any problems to be expected with opensuse and coreboot?
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Coreboot and the crippled ME are the selling point of the box, so: Yes, it's coreboot. ;-)

Any problems to be expected with opensuse and coreboot?
    Hi
    Have no idea Why not ask the supplier direct?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

From the coreboot description on the following Users page, coreboot should be a firmware replacement for the PROM on your motherboard. Although under the hood there are significant architectural changes to support versatility and easy upgrades, to the User and any software including Linux in general, it should work like and appear little different that the OEM BIOS or UEFI.

https://www.coreboot.org/users.html

So, I wouldn't anticipate any problems. Maybe there are YouTube videos or other articles on the Internet where you can see for yourself there shouldn't be anything particular unique about using coreboot.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

OK, I shot one of those boxes. Pro: really quick service. Contra: The fan is quite noisy, no idea how to fix this. No discount if you don't want the wifi/bluetooth trash...

I tried both TW and 15.1 64 bit KDE netinstaller. Both work just fine, I stay with Leap to keep the read/write for the m2.ssd low...

I have a "funny" issue, though. I can't shut down the box from GUI/CLI direct at the box. I tried

Shutdown from GUI

In the CLI (both inside KDE desktop and from other console, both KDE desktop logged in and logged out):

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    Code:
    sudo init 0
    Code:
    sudo sysctl poweroff
    (all all these with su).

Always the box shuts down cleanly, stays off for 2-3 sec and then boots up again. Never saw this. Disabled the LVM service stopping clean shutdown as reported in another thread some days ago.

What actually works is:

SSH into the box, start vncserver, do your work. Kill vncserver via ssh and say

Code:
    init 0
    then it shuts down. And then wake-on-LAN works (which did not work before). Is this an ACPI issue? Any ideas?
    Kind regards

raspu