Update broke system

Hi, I performed a system update with zypper update. The update ran into a problem. I aborted it and this kinda crippled my system. To stat with, here is the terminal output leading up the the current state.

Retrieving: openssh-askpass-gnome-7.9p1-244.1.x86_64.rpm ......................................................................................................................................................[done]
Checking for file conflicts: .................................................................................................................................................................................[error]
Detected 14 file conflicts:

File /usr/bin/par
  from install of
     par-1.1-190.2.x86_64 (repo-oss)
  conflicts with file from package
     vim-par-1.5.2-2.1.x86_64 (@System)

File /usr/lib/modules-load.d/sg.conf
  from install of
     suse-module-tools-15.2.5-1.1.x86_64 (repo-oss)
     systemd-237-10.1.x86_64 (@System)

File /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-hotplug-cpu-mem.rules
  from install of
     system-tuning-common-SUSE-0.1-4.1.noarch (repo-oss)
     udev-237-10.1.x86_64 (@System)

File /usr/lib64/libgdbm_compat.so.4.0.0
  from install of
     libgdbm_compat4-1.18.1-1.5.x86_64 (repo-oss)
     libgdbm4-1.12-1.28.x86_64 (@System)

File /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of
     gdbm-lang-1.18.1-1.5.noarch (repo-oss)

File /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/gdbm.mo
  from install of

File conflicts happen when two packages attempt to install files with the same name but different contents. If you continue, conflicting files will be replaced losing the previous content.
Continue? [yes/no] (no): yes

...]
(  92/3934) Installing: libattr1-2.4.48-3.1.x86_64 ............................................................................................................................................................[done]
(  93/3934) Installing: libaudiofile1-0.3.6-11.5.x86_64 ......................................................................................................................................................[error]
Installation of libaudiofile1-0.3.6-11.5.x86_64 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: rpm: relocation error: /lib64/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr version ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
Problem occurred during or after installation or removal of packages:
Installation aborted by user
Please see the above error message for a hint.

~                                                                                                                                                                                        
▶ kate                                                                                                                                                                                 
kate: relocation error: /lib64/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr version ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference

~                                                                                                                                                                                      
▶ libreoffice                                                                                                                                                                       
sed: relocation error: /lib64/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr version ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference
/usr/bin/libreoffice: line 174: /usr/bin/oosplash: No such file or directory

~                                                                                                                                                                                            
▶ sudo zypper update                                                                                                                                                             
[sudo] password for root: 
zypper: relocation error: /lib64/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr version ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference

What logs etc. can I give you for more useful information?

You should normally use “zypper dup” rather than “zypper update” for updating Tumbleweed.

It looks as if you have some old packages that would have been removed by “zypper dup”, but which are still there. And the newer replacement package has file conflicts.

You could try “zypper dup” and see if that fixes the problems. But it might not.

No, gives me the same error as all the other program calls.

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.snapper.html#sec.snapper.snapshot-boot

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Upgrade_Tumbleweed

Are snapshots made automatically per default? I did not make any myself.

Yes,
Snapshots are created automatically any time you boot, shutdown and packages change (update, upgrade in TW, install, remove).

Simply roll back to any time prior to your failed update and you should be fine.

TSU

If I reboot now, is the latest snapshot then being overwritten? As it is I can’t even copy files. Likely from the recovery mode that would still work. But for that I need to reboot.

I see I need to be using Btrfs for this whole rollback thing to work. But I am using ext4. So, that won’t do. Any other ideas what I can do?

Try going to http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/, downloading:

• zypper
  • libzypp
  • libsolv-tools
  • rpm
  • libproxy1
    *] libmodman1
    and upgrading them all at once using rpm -Uvh. If another dependency is missing, download that and try again. If deps get out of hand, do an upgrade installation via NET or full installation media.

Thanks, will try. What is NET though?

http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Current.iso is a tiny .iso to boot and start a network installation (including distribution upgrade) from. With a NET install, only what will actually be used and/or installed gets downloaded, whereas a full DVD will have a lot that won’t be installed, and some things not on it that will be needed. Both .isos will be replaced within a few days by the next snapshot.