Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux Login with Pam

Blog Entries

Default Re: Linux Login with Pam

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    That is just plain asinine, configure and build as your user, install as root.....
    Maybe ./configure can be run as an ordinary User
    But if you look at the "make" (not make install) log, it threw an error trying to write something to a directory that requires root permissions. It might be a rare occurrence and even break rules, but there the error is...
    So, at least in this instance not only "make install" but also "make" has to be run as root...

And regardless whether absolutely required or not, I can't think of a situation where there would be a critical downside to running all three commands as root, after all you're compiling which is generally considered privileged work.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Maybe ./configure can be run as an ordinary User
    But if you look at the "make" (not make install) log, it threw an error trying to write something to a directory that requires root permissions. It might be a rare occurrence and even break rules, but there the error is...
    So, at least in this instance not only "make install" but also "make" has to be run as root...

And regardless whether absolutely required or not, I can't think of a situation where there would be a critical downside to running all three commands as root, after all you're compiling which is generally considered privileged work.

TSU
    Hi
    I see make run by the user at line 270 and end at line 332, next line is when user ran make install and the errors started occuring which is understandable....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I see make run by the user at line 270 and end at line 332, next line is when user ran make install and the errors started occuring which is understandable....
    @malcolmlewis
    See the errors generated by "make" starting with line 358 when unable to create a directory due to inadequate permissions.

@Budgie2,
    If what Malcom and Arvidjaar can work, that's the optimum solution.
    Else, the error you threw specifically says as follows
    Code:
    - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to '/etc/ld.so.conf'
    So, open up that file (/etc/ld.so.conf) in a text editor and read it.
    In it you will see defined paths.
    To me, this is saying that wherever you built your new library (perhaps /lib/security/ ?) it can't be found so that location should be added into this file. But, as I described you think beyond what the error is strictly saying, there can be many ways to solve this problem and if you simply place your newly compiled file where it can be found, that's your best solution (aside from installing a working package like what malcom and arvidjaar are reocmmending).

That's the basics, but if you're wondering where I got my LD_LIBRARY_PATH suggestion, you do a little more research and find that $LDPATH is normally found in other *NIX flavors and not Linux, the Linux comparable is $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    @malcolmlewis
    See the errors generated by "make" starting with line 358 when unable to create a directory due to inadequate permissions.
    Hi
    Yes, but that's at make install, which needs to be run as root user (the only part... )
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

OK so I have cleared out the unwanted version and installed from Tumbleweed (my misunderstanding before,). A recent Tumbleweed update cleared out some of the wrong versions still lurking so I think I can assume all is well regarding my pam_p11 installation. I think I should start a new thread to try and get an answer on how I may use a smart card to log in to my computer, which is what I wish to do. I am sorry if I have wasted your time and as always appreciate the help you have given.

Budgie2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123