Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sddm/Plamsa/X-failure after dist-upgrade

Default Problem with the radeon driver after a zypper dup

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    OK... Unfortunately I'm not familiar with AMD/ATI/Radeon graphics, I don't think I'm able to assist any further.

Looking at your initial post it seems that "radeon_drv.so" segfaults.

You've confirmed it's a video driver problem.

Perhaps best to edit the thread title to reflect the problem is with the radeon driver after a zypper dup, then others more familiar with your hardware may reply.
    OK! Thanks for your help so far.

Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 488444 Jul  9 18:53 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
    The driver is quite recently updated. I dont know how long time it usually takes from compilation to distribution in an updated package. Its possible that it was included in the update I did last week.

Default Re: Sddm/Plamsa/X-failure after dist-upgrade

Your Bonaire GPU almost certainly should be using amdgpu, not radeon, at least, not for X, but possibly also for kernel. Use zypper or yast to remove xf86-video-ati and kernel-firmware-radeon, and ensure xf86-video-amdgpu and kernel-firmware-amdgpu are installed, then restart. Hopefully this will be all you need to do. Possibly adding radeon.si_support=0 to kernel cmdline would help. If none of this is enough, paste here output from:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep video
    and upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log and output from
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -b
    for us to see, on https://pastebin.com/ or https://susepaste.org/ preferably. The command susepaste will do the uploads for you, if it's been fixed.
    Code:
    sudo zypper al xf86-video-ati
    might be required to prevent the radeon DDX from being reinstalled during updates.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Thumbs up Re: Sddm/Plamsa/X-failure after dist-upgrade

Great!

I just removed the xf86-video-ati and then everything went back to normal. kernel-firmware-radeon was not installed and xf86-video-amdgu was already installed.

I guess the update I did last week accidentally installed the ati-driver and caused the error. Now its locked out and hopefully will the system continue to run smoothly .

Another big thanks to you all that helped me to solve this one.

cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12