Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempts to install proper codecs fail

Default Re: Attempts to install proper codecs fail

Thank you. I've recently been through the references, the first one several times over the past few days, as well as the other referenced SDB articles.

Something might be blocking the path from ALSA to the sound card. As mentioned, sound is working on the other machines - but that may be dependent on configuration files set up a few years ago perhaps in 42.1 or earlier. My notes from then address specific codecs added after using the one-click method.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    Thank you. I've recently been through the references, the first one several times over the past few days, as well as the other referenced SDB articles.
    You need to check that nothing is muted and the levels are set appropriately. Use 'alsamixer' for that. If that checks out, you should try to generate some test sounds with aplay...
    Code:
    aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
    For analogue sound (card 1)....
    Code:
    aplay -D plughw:1,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
    Something might be blocking the path from ALSA to the sound card. As mentioned, sound is working on the other machines - but that may be dependent on configuration files set up a few years ago perhaps in 42.1 or earlier. My notes from then address specific codecs added after using the one-click method.
    Forget codecs etc until you can demonstrate working sound at the ALSA level. Your alsa-info.sh output shows that you have two sound cards present. You need to be certain about which you are using for sound output...HDMI will be in use by default....
    Code:
    1. !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
    2. !!-----------------------------
    3. 0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
    4. HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7f14000 irq 33
    5. 1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
    6. HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f10000 irq 34
    7. !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
    8. !!--------------------------------------
    9. 00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
    10. 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

[/CODE]
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Thank you. I will do that and let you know how that works out. I recall doing at least one of the tests recently. But I plan to go through this methodically as you suggested.

Does the fact that I was able to demonstrate sound with the live (USB) version have any impact? Perhaps not, since if I understand the system correctly, ALSA and everything else above the physical sound card is software.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Blog Entries

I took a look at the alsa-info.sh output, and I agree with deano_ferrari's assessment wrt HDMI and sound. Deano_ferrai's suggestion to try:
    Code:
    is a key test, and I think it should play sound. By specifying "hw:1,0" in the above, deano_ferrai is trying to force the sound out through the hw:1,0 device, which is sound card-1 (ie your analog sound).

Sound is likely going out via the HDMI interface (sound card-0), which you likely are not setup to use. Hence sound needs to be re-directed to go out via sound-card-1 (your analogue sound) , .... or alternatively the HDMI needs to be changed to be sound-card-1 and analog sound assigned to be sound-card-0 (the default for applications to send sound out to speakers).

Directing sound to sound-card-0 or to sound-card-1 is normally (not always thou) easy to do if pulse audio is running correctly, as one simply installs 'pulse audio volume control' (pavucontrol) and assign sound for all applications to sound-card-0 or to sound-card-1. You noted a complication with getting pulse audio to work ? < unsure> ... Further, even with pulse audio working, in your PC case there is a potential complication. I noted this in the alsa-info.sh:

Code:
    1. !!Loaded ALSA modules
    2. !!-------------------
    3. snd_hda_intel
    4. snd_hda_intel
    In that we can see that both HDMI and analog sound use different instances of the same sound driver "snd_hda_intel". The 'risk' here is they could alternately swap between sound-card-0 and sound-card-1 when one boots their PC. That may, or may not happen.

Further, a known 'yast' limitation wrt sound cards, is it does not work well in assigning sound-cards to different devices if both devices use the same sound driver (which is your case). ie. I suspect in your PC case 'yast' will not help much.

If you are successful to get sound via that one line command proposed by deano_ferrari (ie to hw:1,0) then I see two approaches:
    1. get pulse audio working correctly and use it to redirect sound to sound-card-1, or
    2. edit the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file to permanently re-assign sound-card-1 to HDMI and and sound-card-0 to analog sound. I can help there if that is the approach preferred as its a rather specific/detailed edit that is required.

First thou, I am very much interested to learn if you get sound from:
    Code:
    Last edited by oldcpu; 11-Sep-2019 at 20:05.

deano_ferrari and oldcpu -

Thank you both for your very thorough posts. My reply has been delayed a bit (returning a television set-top box to Verizon this past Thursday, the helpful representative canceled my entire telecomm account, leaving me without Internet or telephone [but I still had running water and electricity]).

Before oldcpu's post arrived, I went through the steps outlined in deano_ferrari's post. To again assure myself I was not working with a boat anchor, I booted from the live USB drive and the installer selected the PCH card (card 1, as opposed to card 0, the HDMI card), allowing music to reach the speakers.

I opened alsamixer amd saw that the PCH card was functioning properly, i.e., no muted items. As before, the first test didn't yield any sound. But the second ("aplay -D plughw:1,0, etc.") most certainly responded with some glorious composition I was not able to identify.

As this occurred before oldcpu's post, I then turned to the question of how to reroute the sound to (or from?) the correct card. The alsa website (http://alsa-project.org/wiki/Setting_the_default_device) suggested creating a file named asound.conf in /etc with the following code:
    Code:
    defaults.pcm.card 1
    defaults.ctl.card 1
    I'm not certain whether this code is fully compatible with Leap 15.1, but it did the trick. No sooner did I save the asound.conf file, I had audio. (There was already a file named asound-pulse.conf in /etc, but it appears to be part of my currently non-functioning pulseaudio.)

I cannot thank you enough for your thorough advice. As I suspected and deano confirmed, codecs were not the issue. Indeed, the VLC player loaded during initial installation apparently doesn't require any special codecs to play mp3 files.

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    ...the second ("aplay -D plughw:1,0, etc.") most certainly responded with some glorious composition ...

... I then turned to the question of how to reroute the sound to (or from?) the correct card. The alsa website (http://alsa-project.org/wiki/Setting_the_default_device) suggested creating a file named asound.conf in /etc with the following code:
    Code:
    defaults.pcm.card 1
    defaults.ctl.card 1
    I'm not certain whether this code is fully compatible with Leap 15.1, but it did the trick. No sooner did I save the asound.conf file, I had audio.
    Excellent!

And thankyou for sharing your solution. I was not familiar with that technique for redirecting sound. Instead I use a different method via a different (and much more complex) method via file creation and edits to an /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file.

Having now learned the method you adopted, I like the method you employed.

Blog Entries

It's great to read of your success with this. There is more than one way to make this work. Well done, and thanks for sharing what you did to make it work as required.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Gentlemen -

Thank you. But I would not have reached this point without your assistance.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12