Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HP All-in-One Printer No Longer Scanning

Default Re: HP All-in-One Printer No Longer Scanning

Hi Deano,
    I am still trying to sort this out but sadly I have no older version of openSUSE working anywhere which might have shown me what driver I was using which worked with Scanlite.

Meanwhile trying the printer on windoze machine it didn't work on 64 bit machine and I was not able to get a 32bit setup to work on windoze on which I know even less than on linux. It occurs to me that the problem could be that much of what I have been doing presumes 64 bit system and I wonder if that is the source of the problem in that the firmware is only designed to work on 32 bit software. Is this idea worth investigating?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Deano,
    I am still trying to sort this out but sadly I have no older version of openSUSE working anywhere which might have shown me what driver I was using which worked with Scanlite.
    I would expect the hpaio driver - and as already explained you need to use HPLIP for that (set up printing first).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Default AW: HP All-in-One Printer No Longer Scanning

Only for documentation:
    Fresh Installation og Leap 15.1 (no upgrade), installed the Envy Printer by running
    Code:
    hp-setp
    as root, hp-setup told to install the printer first by connecting with an USB-cable.
    After that, hp-setup told me to run
    Code:
    hp-setup 192.168.0.253
    (IP of the printer) and finished.

After running xsane as user it detects my Envy automatically and is working.

Code:
    hp-info 

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.8)
    Device Information Utility ver. 5.2

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
    Build in my Repo.
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...auerland/hplip

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I would expect the hpaio driver - and as already explained you need to use HPLIP for that (set up printing first).
    Hi Deano and thanks for your advice. I am sure I have outlined earlier in this thread I cannot get hp-setup to work. It crashes whichever method I try and I have shown the crash report but this also tells me that debugging is not available.

I know I need to use hplip, I get your point and believe me I have tried, I just do not know how to get past the crash.

As I also confirmed, this printer has worked fine with Scanlite in the past but the driver I need is clearly not available on the repos I have now with Tumbleweed.

Rather than go round in circles again do you have any suggestion for finding drivers by another route or another repo site?

Default Re: AW: HP All-in-One Printer No Longer Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Only for documentation:
    Fresh Installation og Leap 15.1 (no upgrade), installed the Envy Printer by running
    Code:
    hp-setp
    as root, hp-setup told to install the printer first by connecting with an USB-cable.
    After that, hp-setup told me to run
    Code:
    hp-setup 192.168.0.253
    (IP of the printer) and finished.

After running xsane as user it detects my Envy automatically and is working.

Code:
    hp-info 

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.8)
    Device Information Utility ver. 5.2

Build in my Repo.
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...auerland/hplip
    Hi Sauerland, many thanks for taking the time to give me help. I understand your explanation including the approach of using a usb connection for the initial printer setup. I have been using network connection till now so will take my laptop to the printer and try usb.
    Many thanks.

Hi Sauerland and Deano,
    I plugged in the usb connection and tried running hp-setup as root from terminal. There was an immediate response and the printer was found and brought up in an HP Device Manager window. Discovery proceeded using USB connection and identified my printer. Clicked Next and Device Manager closed. Meanwhile the terminal showed what was going on until suddenly it stopped. Here is the resulting output:-

Code:
    AJBR-W530:~ # hp-setup  HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.6) Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0  Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.  QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root' Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0) Traceback (most recent call last):   File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1305, in NextButton_clicked     self.showAddPrinterPage()   File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 729, in showAddPrinterPage     self.readwriteFaxInformation()   File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1128, in readwriteFaxInformation     self.fax_number = to_unicode(d.getPhoneNum())   File "/usr/share/hplip/fax/pmlfax.py", line 146, in getPhoneNum     data = utils.printable(self.getPML(pml.OID_FAX_LOCAL_PHONE_NUM)[1])   File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 958, in printable     return s.translate(identity, unprintable) TypeError: translate() takes exactly one argument (2 given) Aborted (core dumped) AJBR-W530:~ #
    Using the usb and yast I was able to print and received a very different test page from what I am used to with no CUPS header. If I went on to edit the connection to a network connection I was still able to print and I thought I was keeping the same driver but the test page had the usual CUPS header and actually was not quite different.

I dont know what to make of this but the driver was a postscript driver coming from an hplip directory.
    What do you all suggest?

The gist of this seems to me a bug problem.

Blog Entries

Can you show us the hplip packages you have installed please? (I assume that you have an openSUSE package from TW repo)
    Code:
    zypper se -si hplip

Blog Entries

Hard to know what the underlying problems are here, but likely some missing/incompatible python component. Run 'hp-doctor' again and follow it through to the end. It should show any remaining issues, including missing/incompatible dependencies.

With respect to the scanner, make sure there is an uncommented 'hpaio' entry in the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file.

Can you show us the hplip packages you have installed please? (I assume that you have an openSUSE package from TW repo)
    Code:
    zypper se -si hplip
    Hi Deanao, this is what I have:-

Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~> zypper se -si hplip
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name        | Type    | Version    | Arch   | Repository         
    ---+-------------+---------+------------+--------+--------------------
    i+ | hplip       | package | 3.19.6-2.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed
    i+ | hplip       | package | 3.19.6-2.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss           
    i+ | hplip-hpijs | package | 3.19.6-2.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed
    i+ | hplip-hpijs | package | 3.19.6-2.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss           
    i+ | hplip-sane  | package | 3.19.6-2.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed
    i+ | hplip-sane  | package | 3.19.6-2.1 | x86_64 | repo-oss           
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~>
    Should be sufficient.

Hard to know what the underlying problems are here, but likely some missing/incompatible python component. Run 'hp-doctor' again and follow it through to the end. It should show any remaining issues, including missing/incompatible dependencies.

With respect to the scanner, make sure there is an uncommented 'hpaio' entry in the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file.
    I wish I had your confidence but here is the result:-

Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~> hp-doctor

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.6)
    Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Checking for Deprecated items....
    error: This distro (i.e suse  20190916) is either deprecated or not yet supported.
    The diagnosis is limited on unsupported platforms. Do you want to continue?(y=yes*, n=no):y

Checking for HPLIP updates....

HPLIP upgrade latest version ver. 1.0

error: HPLIP upgrade is disabled by openSUSE for security reasons, see https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=853405 - if you like to upgrade HPLIP, use an openSUSE software package manager like YaST or zypper.

Done.
    error: Failed to upgrade latest HPLIP. Is hp-upgrade already running (i.e. foreground or background)?

Checking for Dependencies....
    warning: 3-20190916 version is not supported. Using 3-15.0 versions dependencies to verify and install...

---------------
    | SYSTEM INFO |
    ---------------

Kernel: 5.2.14-1-default #1 SMP Tue Sep 10 10:52:01 UTC 2019 (374b0ae) GNU/Linux
     Host: AJBR-W530
     Proc: 5.2.14-1-default #1 SMP Tue Sep 10 10:52:01 UTC 2019 (374b0ae) GNU/Linux
     Distribution: 3 20190916
     Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
    | HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
    -----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.19.6
    HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
    warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 3 distro  20190916 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
    # hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
    version=3.19.6

[dirs]
    home=/usr/share/hplip
    run=/var/run
    ppd=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hplip
    ppdbase=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs
    doc=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
    html=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
    icon=/usr/share/applications
    cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
    cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
    drv=/usr/lib/cups/driver
    bin=/usr/bin
    apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
    # Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
    [configure]
    network-build=yes
    libusb01-build=no
    pp-build=no
    gui-build=yes
    scanner-build=yes
    fax-build=yes
    dbus-build=yes
    cups11-build=no
    doc-build=yes
    shadow-build=no
    hpijs-install=yes
    foomatic-drv-install=no
    foomatic-ppd-install=yes
    foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
    hpcups-install=yes
    cups-drv-install=no
    cups-ppd-install=yes
    internal-tag=3.19.6
    restricted-build=no
    ui-toolkit=qt5
    qt3=no
    qt4=no
    qt5=yes
    policy-kit=no
    lite-build=no
    udev_sysfs_rules=no
    hpcups-only-build=no
    hpijs-only-build=no
    apparmor_build=no
    class-driver=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
    Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
    [installation]
    date_time = 09/17/19 22:23:10
    version = 3.19.6

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

-------------------------
    | External Dependencies |
    -------------------------

cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             2.3             OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
     gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.27            OK         -
     xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.999           OK         -
     scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27          OK         -
     dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.12.12         OK         -
     policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.116           OK         -
     network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.20.3          OK         -
     avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.7             OK         -

------------------------
    | General Dependencies |
    ------------------------

libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
     cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               2.3             OK         -
     cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               2.3             OK         -
     libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               b'2.29'         OK         -
     libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
     sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               1.0.27          OK         -
     sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.27          OK         -
     libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.8             OK         -
     libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.1.1           OK         -
     python3X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             3.7.3           OK         -
     python3-notify2      Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/hp-doctor", line 297, in <module>
        num_errors, num_warns = dep.validate(DEPENDENCY_RUN_AND_COMPILE_TIME, False)
      File "/usr/share/hplip/check.py", line 368, in validate
        self.core.dependencies[dep])
      File "/usr/share/hplip/check.py", line 210, in __update_deps_info
        installed_ver = self.core.version_func[deps_info[6]]()
      File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/dcheck.py", line 303, in get_pyQt4_version
        from PyQt4 import QtCore
    ImportError: cannot import name 'QtCore' from 'PyQt4' (unknown location)
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~>
    Hope this means something. Could it be a bug after all?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast