Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HP All-in-One Printer No Longer Scanning

Default Re: HP All-in-One Printer No Longer Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    @Budgie2 : This might be a better option:
    Code:
    su -
    hp-setup
    Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I tried running the command in terminal as root and this brought up the first window for selecting the printer connection. I selected the network connected option, with firewall stopped to keep thinks simple, and selected next. This is what I get in the terminal:-

Code:
    AJBR-W530:~ # hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.6)
    Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=slp)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1305, in NextButton_clicked
        self.showAddPrinterPage()
      File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 729, in showAddPrinterPage
        self.readwriteFaxInformation()
      File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1128, in readwriteFaxInformation
        self.fax_number = to_unicode(d.getPhoneNum())
      File "/usr/share/hplip/fax/pmlfax.py", line 146, in getPhoneNum
        data = utils.printable(self.getPML(pml.OID_FAX_LOCAL_PHONE_NUM)[1])
      File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 958, in printable
        return s.translate(identity, unprintable)
    TypeError: translate() takes exactly one argument (2 given)
    Aborted (core dumped)
    AJBR-W530:~ #
    As I explained I can get the printer installed using method I used previously but is there a switch for hp-setup command to install scanner?
    Finally there is also a "manual" way of installing the scanner but I need help with the entries required please.

Moving on, with the printer working using connection wizard and manual install I have then tried to get the scanner to work.

Using Yast>Hardware>Scanner if I select Add button I get access to the list of drivers and the HP Color Laserjet 2840 all-in-one printer is included in the driver list. With firewall stopped I have selected this driver which states that it "should work" but alas it does not.
    It is using hpaio but not getting a response.
    Please could somebody give me further help here?

Blog Entries

I confess I have not tried Tumbleweed recently. I do have network printing/scanning working with various printers in openSUSE-15.0 and 15.1(and many earlier openSUSE versions) using :

I get the sense you tried something similar, but then you deviated, possibly due to Tumbleweed no longer providing an option?

or is it possible for you to try the technique noted in the above (as it has worked on every openSUSE version I have tried)?

Hi oldcp and many thanks for the link to the blog. Your blog is clear and most helpful but...

I have used hplip many times on my other HP printers and it works very well but not with my Color Laserjet 2840 all-in-one hplip. By using the Run hp-setu button the installation crashes with the python error I have reported above. So I cannot follow your instruction to install the printer.

However by using the Connection Wizard and entering the known fixed IP of the printer and selecting the driver, which is available, the printer works fine and I have used this method on each upgrade of openSUSE since openSUSE version 8.

Going back to your blog I have found that using Yast>Hardware>Scanner the printer is not detected even with the firewall stopped so I cannot edit as the blog suggests. All I get is hpaio No scanner recognized by this driver.

If I try using Add button I can find the driver on the list but once selected it fails and I get back to the No scanner recognized by this driver.

On the same printer but using Leap 43.2 I didn't ever use Yast for the scanner; once the printer was installed then Skanlite picked up the scanner and just worked.

Any and all suggestion would be welcome.
    Regards and thanks again,
    Budgie2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Going back to your blog I have found that using Yast>Hardware>Scanner the printer is not detected even with the firewall stopped so I cannot edit as the blog suggests. All I get is hpaio No scanner recognized by this driver.

If I try using Add button I can find the driver on the list but once selected it fails and I get back to the No scanner recognized by this driver.

On the same printer but using Leap 43.2 I didn't ever use Yast for the scanner; once the printer was installed then Skanlite picked up the scanner and just worked.

Any and all suggestion would be welcome.
    Regards and thanks again,
    Budgie2
    Can you not get the scanner configured using 'hp-setup'?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Try using the 'hp-scan' utility for scanning. Does that work ok?

You can use 'hp-check' or 'hp-doctor' to investigate any HPLIP-related issues eg
    Code:
    sudo hp-check -r
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 10-Sep-2019 at 15:20. Reason: Correction

Blog Entries

Another thought that I had is to check which print driver you are currently using for your HP device. The hpaio scanner backend relies on the HPLIP URI being correctly configured as I once wrote here.

This may be useful in determining how CUPS is currently configured...
    Code:
    lpstat -t
    Code:
    egrep -i "name|model|filter" /etc/cups/ppd/*

Hi all and many thanks for the replies. Our internet has been down for a time but what I have been doing is using dual boot (Grub) and going back to my little used openSUSE boot on the windows 7 machine. This is used only for accounting software.

The linux system was well out of date and needed an update or few and a long wait for internet to come up again but it is now a working Leap 15 machine. Sadly I found it had not been configured for any printers so I have no info on any machine which used to work with the problem HP All-in-one printer for scanning.

Having tried to install the printer various ways with many of the usual options I have found that the number of HP drivers offered in a very much reduced set and does not include the printer of interest the HP Color Laserjet 2840 so I can no longer install even the printer never mind use Scanlite.

Very odd because the printer is listed and I installed it from Tumbleweed (although not with HPLIP) so where have all the HP drivers gone?

I shall stop writing now and go back to my Tumbleweed machine and study the several tests suggested.
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Try using the 'hp-scan' utility for scanning. Does that work ok?

You can use 'hp-check' or 'hp-doctor' to investigate any HPLIP-related issues eg
    Code:
    sudo hp-check -r
    Hi Deano, no hp-scan found but hp-check produced a bunch of red;-

Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~> sudo hp-check -r
    Saving output in log file: /home/alastair/hp-check.log

Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 15.1

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
    1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling the HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or  
    .run) to determine if the proper dependencies are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.                           
    2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an
    already built HPLIP supplied tarball has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.                      
    3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode will check both of the above cases (both
    compile- and run-time dependencies).                                                                                 

Check types:                                                                                                         
    a. EXTERNALDEP - External Dependencies                                                                               
    b. GENERALDEP - General Dependencies (required both at compile and run time)                                         
    c. COMPILEDEP - Compile time Dependencies                                                                            
    d. [All are run-time checks]                                                                                         
    PYEXT SCANCONF QUEUES PERMISSION                                                                                     

Status Types:
        OK
        MISSING       - Missing Dependency or Permission or Plug-in
        INCOMPAT      - Incompatible dependency-version or Plugin-version

warning: 3-20190907 version is not supported. Using 3-15.0 versions dependencies to verify and install...

---------------
    | SYSTEM INFO |
    ---------------

Kernel: 5.2.11-1-default #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 06:41:19 UTC 2019 (6385110) GNU/Linux
     Host: AJBR-W530
     Proc: 5.2.11-1-default #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 06:41:19 UTC 2019 (6385110) GNU/Linux
     Distribution: 3 20190907
     Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
    | HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
    -----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.19.6
    HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
    warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 3 distro  20190907 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
    # hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
    version=3.19.6

[dirs]
    home=/usr/share/hplip
    run=/var/run
    ppd=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hplip
    ppdbase=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs
    doc=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
    html=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
    icon=/usr/share/applications
    cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
    cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
    drv=/usr/lib/cups/driver
    bin=/usr/bin
    apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
    # Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
    [configure]
    network-build=yes
    libusb01-build=no
    pp-build=no
    gui-build=yes
    scanner-build=yes
    fax-build=yes
    dbus-build=yes
    cups11-build=no
    doc-build=yes
    shadow-build=no
    hpijs-install=yes
    foomatic-drv-install=no
    foomatic-ppd-install=yes
    foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
    hpcups-install=yes
    cups-drv-install=no
    cups-ppd-install=yes
    internal-tag=3.19.6
    restricted-build=no
    ui-toolkit=qt5
    qt3=no
    qt4=no
    qt5=yes
    policy-kit=no
    lite-build=no
    udev_sysfs_rules=no
    hpcups-only-build=no
    hpijs-only-build=no
    apparmor_build=no
    class-driver=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
    Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
    warning: Could not access file: No such file or directory
     <Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

-------------------------
    | External Dependencies |

cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             2.3             OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
     gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.27            OK         -
     error: xsane         xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             -               MISSING    'xsane needs to be installed'
     scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27          OK         -
     error: dbus          DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.12.12         MISSING    'DBUS may not be installed or not running'
     policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.116           OK         -
     network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.20.3          OK         -
     error: avahi-utils   avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING    'avahi-utils needs to be installed'

------------------------
    | General Dependencies |
    ------------------------

error: libjpeg       libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'libjpeg needs to be installed'
     error: cups-devel    CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               2.3             MISSING    'cups-devel needs to be installed'
     error: cups-image    CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               2.3             MISSING    'cups-image needs to be installed'
     libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               b'2.29'         OK         -
     libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
     sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
     error: sane-devel    SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'sane-devel needs to be installed'
     error: libnetsnmp-devel libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.8             MISSING    'libnetsnmp-devel needs to be installed'
     error: libcrypto     libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.1.1           MISSING    'libcrypto needs to be installed'
     python3X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             3.7.3           OK         -
     error: python3-notify2 Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING    'python3-notify2 needs to be installed'
      File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 862, in <module>
        num_errors, num_warns = dep.validate(time_flag, is_quiet_mode)
      File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 368, in validate
        self.core.dependencies[dep])
      File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 210, in __update_deps_info
        installed_ver = self.core.version_func[deps_info[6]]()
      File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/dcheck.py", line 303, in get_pyQt4_version
        from PyQt4 import QtCore
    ImportError: cannot import name 'QtCore' from 'PyQt4' (unknown location)
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~>
    Grist to the mill

And hp-doctor gave me an even more severe warning...

Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~> hp-doctor

Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Checking for Deprecated items....
    error: This distro (i.e suse  20190907) is either deprecated or not yet supported.
    The diagnosis is limited on unsupported platforms. Do you want to continue?(y=yes*, n=no):y

Checking for HPLIP updates....

HPLIP upgrade latest version ver. 1.0

error: HPLIP upgrade is disabled by openSUSE for security reasons, see  https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=853405 - if you like to  upgrade HPLIP, use an openSUSE software package manager like YaST or  zypper.

Done.
    error: Failed to upgrade latest HPLIP. Is hp-upgrade already running (i.e. foreground or background)?

Checking for Dependencies....
    warning: 3-20190907 version is not supported. Using 3-15.0 versions dependencies to verify and install...

---------------
    | SYSTEM INFO |
    ---------------

Kernel: 5.2.11-1-default #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 06:41:19 UTC 2019 (6385110) GNU/Linux
     Host: AJBR-W530
     Proc: 5.2.11-1-default #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 06:41:19 UTC 2019 (6385110) GNU/Linux
     Distribution: 3 20190907
     Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
    | HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
    -----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.19.6
    HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
    warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 3 distro  20190907 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
    # hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
    version=3.19.6

[dirs]
    home=/usr/share/hplip
    run=/var/run
    ppd=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hplip
    ppdbase=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs
    doc=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
    html=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
    icon=/usr/share/applications
    cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
    cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
    drv=/usr/lib/cups/driver
    bin=/usr/bin
    apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
    # Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
    [configure]
    network-build=yes
    libusb01-build=no
    pp-build=no
    gui-build=yes
    scanner-build=yes
    fax-build=yes
    dbus-build=yes
    cups11-build=no
    doc-build=yes
    shadow-build=no
    hpijs-install=yes
    foomatic-drv-install=no
    foomatic-ppd-install=yes
    foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
    hpcups-install=yes
    cups-drv-install=no
    cups-ppd-install=yes
    internal-tag=3.19.6
    restricted-build=no
    ui-toolkit=qt5
    qt3=no
    qt4=no
    qt5=yes
    policy-kit=no
    lite-build=no
    udev_sysfs_rules=no
    hpcups-only-build=no
    hpijs-only-build=no
    apparmor_build=no
    class-driver=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
    Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
    [installation]
    date_time = 09/11/19 18:55:08
    version = 3.19.6

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>       <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version>  <Status>   <Comment>

| External Dependencies |

cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                            REQUIRED        1.1             2.3             OK          'CUPS Scheduler is running'
     gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language  interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.27             OK         -
     error: xsane         xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                   OPTIONAL        0.9             -               MISSING     'xsane needs to be installed'
     scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                            OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27          OK         -
     error: dbus          DBus - Message bus system                                     REQUIRED        -               1.12.12         MISSING     'DBUS may not be installed or not running'
     policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                   OPTIONAL        -               0.116           OK         -
     network              network -wget                                                 OPTIONAL        -               1.20.3          OK         -
     error: avahi-utils   avahi-utils                                                   OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING     'avahi-utils needs to be installed'

------------------------
    | General Dependencies |
    ------------------------

error: libjpeg       libjpeg - JPEG library                                        REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING     'libjpeg needs to be installed'
     error: cups-devel    CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System  development files    REQUIRED        -               2.3              MISSING    'cups-devel needs to be installed'
     error: cups-image    CUPS image - CUPS image development files                     REQUIRED        -               2.3             MISSING     'cups-image needs to be installed'
     libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                            REQUIRED        -               b'2.29'         OK         -
     libusb               libusb - USB library                                          REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
     sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
     error: sane-devel    SANE - Scanning library development files                     REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING     'sane-devel needs to be installed'
     error: libnetsnmp-devel libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library  development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.8              MISSING    'libnetsnmp-devel needs to be installed'
     error: libcrypto     libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                     REQUIRED        -               1.1.1           MISSING     'libcrypto needs to be installed'
     python3X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming  language          REQUIRED        2.2             3.7.3           OK          -
     error: python3-notify2 Python libnotify - Python bindings for the  libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -                MISSING    'python3-notify2 needs to be installed'
      File "/usr/bin/hp-doctor", line 297, in <module>
        num_errors, num_warns = dep.validate(DEPENDENCY_RUN_AND_COMPILE_TIME, False)
      File "/usr/share/hplip/check.py", line 368, in validate
        self.core.dependencies[dep])
      File "/usr/share/hplip/check.py", line 210, in __update_deps_info
        installed_ver = self.core.version_func[deps_info[6]]()
      File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/dcheck.py", line 303, in get_pyQt4_version
        from PyQt4 import QtCore
    ImportError: cannot import name 'QtCore' from 'PyQt4' (unknown location)
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~>
    It seems there is work to be done. Please can you advise.
    Regards,
    Budge

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast