Thread: bpython: distribution don't supported (won't run)

Default bpython: distribution don't supported (won't run)

I installed bpython from official opensuse repo today. I've got message distribution not supported in konsole and apps exits.
    I attached traceback.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/bpython", line 6, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3250, in <module>
    @_call_aside
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3234, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3263, in _initialize_master_working_set
    working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 583, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 900, in require
    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 786, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
    pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'requests' distribution was not found and is required by bpython

What went wrong? I thought somebody checks app running, when adding to repo.

Blog Entries

Default Re: bpython: distribution don't supported (won't run)

bpython expects python2 AFAICS. And TW's default is python3. So, you may be missing the python2 packages
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    bpython expects python2 AFAICS. And TW's default is python3. So, you may be missing the python2 packages
    I'm not OpenSUSE and Python export, but your clarification does not make sense ;-) .
    Firstly, if I hadn't python2 and bpython request it, it probably won't run or something is messed up with symbolic links. Does python2 be a link to python3? Probably not. I think python was previously symbolic link to python2 and now it was just symbolic link to python3.

Could virtualenv be helpful? I hear about this tool, but had never used it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lachu View Post
    I'm not OpenSUSE and Python export, but your clarification does not make sense ;-) .
    Firstly, if I hadn't python2 and bpython request it, it probably won't run or something is messed up with symbolic links. Does python2 be a link to python3? Probably not. I think python was previously symbolic link to python2 and now it was just symbolic link to python3.

Could virtualenv be helpful? I hear about this tool, but had never used it.
    Hi
    So did you install bpython, python2-bpython or python3-bpython? Is the respective python[2,3]-requests package installed?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So did you install bpython, python2-bpython or python3-bpython? Is the respective python[2,3]-requests package installed?
    I have installed bpython pacakge. I don't known there's need to install additional package. Take in mind, to install bpython I use discover (Plasma's 5 software center), so (in my opinion) this position shouldn't even be displayed in software center.

Today I install python3-bpython. Plasma menu still don't ran bpython. Only terminal window was displayed, traceback printed and window dissapears. But bpython-3.7 command (ran in terminal) seems to work.