Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,153
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    I'm not even sure why anyone would want to compile an i386 binary.
    I downloaded source and now see all those i386 files, and tests (without actually compiling), but I see also that x86-64 is a supported target architecture... probably should be configured for that somewhere.

    And, there sure are a lot of cmake config files... I guess someone really serious about this would have to go through them and find the line of code that sets the target to x86-64. Maybe an impatient "dirty" approach could be to simply change every configuration reference from i386 to x86-64 and see if it works...

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  2. #12

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Are You suggesting to remove all the 32-bit packages I have installed for the DarlingHQ requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    So the first thing I'd ask you to do is run the following command and post the results
    Code:
    # zypper in make cmake clang bison flex python2 glibc-devel.i686 fuse-devel systemd-devel kernel-devel elfutils-libelf-devel cairo-devel freetype-devel.{x86_64,i686} libjpeg-turbo-devel.{x86_64,i686} libtiff-devel.{x86_64,i686} fontconfig-devel.{x86_64,i686} libglvnd-devel.{x86_64,i686} mesa-libGL-devel.{x86_64,i686} mesa-libEGL-devel.{x86_64,i686} libxml2-devel libbsd-deve
    I have some packages that were not found on my repositories. But I have the below ones instead. Could this be right?
    Package not found. Installed package Architecture
    elfutils-libelf-devel libelf-devel x86_64
    fontconfig-devel.i686 fontconfig-devel x86_64
    freetype-devel.i686 freetype-devel x86_64
    glibc-devel.i686 glibc-devel x86_64
    libglvnd-devel.i686 libglvnd-devel x86_64
    libjpeg-turbo-devel.i686
    libjpeg-turbo-devel.x86_64
    No provider of ... found
    libtiff-devel.i686 libtiff-devel x86_64
    mesa-libEGL-devel.i686 Mesa-libEGL-devel x86_64
    mesa-libEGL-devel.x86_64 Mesa-libEGL-devel x86_64
    mesa-libGL-devel.i686 Mesa-libGL-devel x86_64
    mesa-libGL-devel.x86_64 Mesa-libGL-devel x86_64


    The only one I was missing was freetype-devel.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,153
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Quote Originally Posted by nagybal View Post
    Are You suggesting to remove all the 32-bit packages I have installed for the DarlingHQ requirements?



    I have some packages that were not found on my repositories. But I have the below ones instead. Could this be right?
    Package not found. Installed package Architecture
    elfutils-libelf-devel libelf-devel x86_64
    fontconfig-devel.i686 fontconfig-devel x86_64
    freetype-devel.i686 freetype-devel x86_64
    glibc-devel.i686 glibc-devel x86_64
    libglvnd-devel.i686 libglvnd-devel x86_64
    libjpeg-turbo-devel.i686
    libjpeg-turbo-devel.x86_64
    No provider of ... found
    libtiff-devel.i686 libtiff-devel x86_64
    mesa-libEGL-devel.i686 Mesa-libEGL-devel x86_64
    mesa-libEGL-devel.x86_64 Mesa-libEGL-devel x86_64
    mesa-libGL-devel.i686 Mesa-libGL-devel x86_64
    mesa-libGL-devel.x86_64 Mesa-libGL-devel x86_64


    The only one I was missing was freetype-devel.
    No, at least I wouldn't recommend removing 32-bit packages... I'd frown on the use of 32-bit packages in a 64-bit target, but it'll work... That's the beauty of x64 that it supports backwards compatibility with 32-bit code.

    Your posted list looks fine, but we're trusting that your log doesn't have anything else that's critically important.
    Then,
    We don't know how well the code is written, whether it can find the files provided for x86-64.
    And, we don't know why the build decided to build i386 (it's a very early architecture which might work for its early base compatibility, but is not often preferred). Is it because the build failed at trying to build x86-64 or because it was manually chosen somewhere?
    My speculative idea to try to force x86-64 was to try to over-ride any other logic or choice to build i386, but it's just that... a speculative try.

    You might ask the Darling developers about what you're seeing, they might have ready answers for several of the things we're guessing at.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  4. #14

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    I believe we need to just just the proper dependencies than!

    Quote Originally Posted by bugaevc
    https://github.com/darlinghq/darling...ent-529366601]
    The reason for the 32-bit dependencies is that Darling builds its code as both 64-bit and 32-bit libraries (so, basically, most of the code in Darling is compiled twice), so that it can run run both 64-bit and 32-but macOS software. The host system itself needs to be 64-bit though.

  5. #15

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    cmake .. shows some deficiencies as well:
    Code:
    linux-17qf:/home/bigb/darling/build # cmake ..
    -- The C compiler identification is Clang 7.0.1
    -- The CXX compiler identification is Clang 7.0.1
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang -- works
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    -- Detecting C compile features
    -- Detecting C compile features - done
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/clang++
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/clang++ -- works
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    -- Detecting CXX compile features
    -- Detecting CXX compile features - done
    -- The ASM compiler identification is Clang
    -- Found assembler: /usr/bin/clang
    -- The ASM-ATT compiler identification is GNU
    -- Found assembler: /usr/bin/as
    -- Found dsymutil: /usr/bin/dsymutil
    -- Compiler include path detected as /usr/lib64/clang/7.0.1/include/
    -- Found BISON: /usr/bin/bison (found version "3.0.4") 
    -- Found FLEX: /usr/bin/flex (found version "2.6.4") 
    -- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.2") 
    -- Checking for module 'fuse'
    --   Found fuse, version 2.9.7
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wall
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wall - Success
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unknown_pragmas
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unknown_pragmas - Success
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unused_variable
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unused_variable - Success
    -- Checking for module 'egl'
    --   Found egl, version 18.3.2
    -- Checking for module 'cairo'
    --   Found cairo, version 1.15.10
    -- Found Freetype: /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so (found version "2.9.0") 
    -- Found ZLIB: /usr/lib64/libz.so (found version "1.2.11") 
    -- Found PNG: /usr/lib64/libpng.so (found version "1.6.34") 
    -- Found TIFF: /usr/lib64/libtiff.so (found version "4.0.9") 
    -- Found JPEG: /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so  
    -- Checking for module 'fontconfig'
    --   Found fontconfig, version 2.12.6
    -- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so
    -- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so - not found
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet - not found
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet_stub
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet_stub - not found
    -- Looking for gethostbyname
    -- Looking for gethostbyname - not found
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in nsl
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in nsl - not found
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in bsd
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in bsd - not found
    -- Looking for connect
    -- Looking for connect - not found
    -- Looking for connect in socket
    -- Looking for connect in socket - not found
    -- Looking for remove
    -- Looking for remove - not found
    -- Looking for remove in posix
    -- Looking for remove in posix - not found
    -- Looking for shmat
    -- Looking for shmat - not found
    -- Looking for shmat in ipc
    -- Looking for shmat in ipc - not found
    -- Found X11: /usr/lib64/libX11.so
    -- Found OpenGL: /usr/lib64/libOpenGL.so   
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    -- Build files have been written to: /home/bigb/darling/build
    And then make stops as below:

    Code:
    linux-17qf:/home/bigb/darling/build # make
    Scanning dependencies of target elfloader_dummy32
    [  0%] Building C object src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/elfcalls.o
    [  0%] Building C object src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/threads.o
    /home/bigb/darling/src/libelfloader/native/threads.c:193:2: warning: implicit declaration
          of function 'pthread_getattr_np' is invalid in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
            pthread_getattr_np(pthread_self(), &attr);
            ^
    1 warning generated.
    [  0%] Linking C executable elfloader_dummy32
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
    clang-7.0.1: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    make[2]: *** [src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/build.make:121: src/libelfloader/native/elfloader_dummy32] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:806: src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Quote Originally Posted by nagybal View Post
    cmake .. shows some deficiencies as well:
    Code:
    linux-17qf:/home/bigb/darling/build # cmake ..
    -- The C compiler identification is Clang 7.0.1
    -- The CXX compiler identification is Clang 7.0.1
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang
    -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang -- works
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
    -- Detecting C compile features
    -- Detecting C compile features - done
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/clang++
    -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/clang++ -- works
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
    -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
    -- Detecting CXX compile features
    -- Detecting CXX compile features - done
    -- The ASM compiler identification is Clang
    -- Found assembler: /usr/bin/clang
    -- The ASM-ATT compiler identification is GNU
    -- Found assembler: /usr/bin/as
    -- Found dsymutil: /usr/bin/dsymutil
    -- Compiler include path detected as /usr/lib64/clang/7.0.1/include/
    -- Found BISON: /usr/bin/bison (found version "3.0.4") 
    -- Found FLEX: /usr/bin/flex (found version "2.6.4") 
    -- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.2") 
    -- Checking for module 'fuse'
    --   Found fuse, version 2.9.7
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wall
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wall - Success
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unknown_pragmas
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unknown_pragmas - Success
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unused_variable
    -- Performing Test CFLAG_Wno_unused_variable - Success
    -- Checking for module 'egl'
    --   Found egl, version 18.3.2
    -- Checking for module 'cairo'
    --   Found cairo, version 1.15.10
    -- Found Freetype: /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so (found version "2.9.0") 
    -- Found ZLIB: /usr/lib64/libz.so (found version "1.2.11") 
    -- Found PNG: /usr/lib64/libpng.so (found version "1.6.34") 
    -- Found TIFF: /usr/lib64/libtiff.so (found version "4.0.9") 
    -- Found JPEG: /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so  
    -- Checking for module 'fontconfig'
    --   Found fontconfig, version 2.12.6
    -- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so
    -- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so - not found
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet - not found
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet_stub
    -- Looking for dnet_ntoa in dnet_stub - not found
    -- Looking for gethostbyname
    -- Looking for gethostbyname - not found
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in nsl
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in nsl - not found
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in bsd
    -- Looking for gethostbyname in bsd - not found
    -- Looking for connect
    -- Looking for connect - not found
    -- Looking for connect in socket
    -- Looking for connect in socket - not found
    -- Looking for remove
    -- Looking for remove - not found
    -- Looking for remove in posix
    -- Looking for remove in posix - not found
    -- Looking for shmat
    -- Looking for shmat - not found
    -- Looking for shmat in ipc
    -- Looking for shmat in ipc - not found
    -- Found X11: /usr/lib64/libX11.so
    -- Found OpenGL: /usr/lib64/libOpenGL.so   
    -- Configuring done
    -- Generating done
    -- Build files have been written to: /home/bigb/darling/build
    And then make stops as below:

    Code:
    linux-17qf:/home/bigb/darling/build # make
    Scanning dependencies of target elfloader_dummy32
    [  0%] Building C object src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/elfcalls.o
    [  0%] Building C object src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/threads.o
    /home/bigb/darling/src/libelfloader/native/threads.c:193:2: warning: implicit declaration
          of function 'pthread_getattr_np' is invalid in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
            pthread_getattr_np(pthread_self(), &attr);
            ^
    1 warning generated.
    [  0%] Linking C executable elfloader_dummy32
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
    clang-7.0.1: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    make[2]: *** [src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/build.make:121: src/libelfloader/native/elfloader_dummy32] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:806: src/libelfloader/native/CMakeFiles/elfloader_dummy32.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
    Hi
    Your cmake output is fine (mine is the same), the issue as explained is there is no i386 build target, the only 32bit build targets in openSUSE are i586/i686.....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,153
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Your cmake output is fine (mine is the same), the issue as explained is there is no i386 build target, the only 32bit build targets in openSUSE are i586/i686.....
    But the big question is why the i386 build target?
    Both the posted log and packages indicate support for the x86-64 build target, so why isn't that the build target?

    Unless someone wants to dig through the code,
    Darling support should be asked how to re-target.

    IMO,

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    But the big question is why the i386 build target?
    Both the posted log and packages indicate support for the x86-64 build target, so why isn't that the build target?

    Unless someone wants to dig through the code,
    Darling support should be asked how to re-target.

    IMO,

    TSU
    Hi
    To run 32bit MacOS bits... it's still very alpha and can only run command line no GUi apps....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #19

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    But the big question is why the i386 build target?
    I received this reply on their forums:
    But the big question is why the i386 build target? That's the beauty of x64 that it supports backwards compatibility with 32-bit code.
    With x64 the CPU architecture, yes, it's basically a superset of IA-32, so you can run 32-bit and 16-bit i386 code on it. With libraries built for x64, no, you cannot run 32-bit or 16-bit with them, it's ABI-incompatible (e.g. pointers have different sizes).
    That's why, even on Linux, if you want to run 32-bit software, you have to install a separate set of libraries. For example, on my system here, I have both /usr/lib/libc-2.29.so and /usr/lib64/libc-2.29.so. We need to build the same for Darling, except it ends up in a one .dylib file consisting of multiple (in this case two) of sub-Mach-Os for different architectures.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: [BUG] compiling Darling: crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory

    Quote Originally Posted by nagybal View Post
    I received this reply on their forums:
    With x64 the CPU architecture, yes, it's basically a superset of IA-32, so you can run 32-bit and 16-bit i386 code on it. With libraries built for x64, no, you cannot run 32-bit or 16-bit with them, it's ABI-incompatible (e.g. pointers have different sizes).
    That's why, even on Linux, if you want to run 32-bit software, you have to install a separate set of libraries. For example, on my system here, I have both /usr/lib/libc-2.29.so and /usr/lib64/libc-2.29.so. We need to build the same for Darling, except it ends up in a one .dylib file consisting of multiple (in this case two) of sub-Mach-Os for different architectures.
    Hi
    In openSUSE the 32bit libs are built (Tumbleweed does build a i586 release, openQA tested, but still can have issues), but there is no i386 anymore....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •