Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPS experiences to share? (CyberPower under consideration) or recommend?

Blog Entries

Default Re: UPS experiences to share? (CyberPower under consideration) or recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    It has me thinking .... should I still install the CyberPower "PowerPanel" software?
    I can't really advise on that.

I'm using an APC unit. I do run the opensource software "apcupsd" and "gapcmom". But, in all honesty, I could manage quite well without it. The KDE power management does all that I need.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Default Re: UPS experiences to share? (CyberPower under consideration) or recommend?

Earlier today, I had my first unexpected power outage, the first since setting up the UPS.

My PC was running, albeit as it turns out not doing anything in particular. I had a couple of browser windows open at the time - but I was not in front of the PC (which is located downstairs in our condominium unit). I was upstairs chatting with my wife, when we noted the power fail. I immediately went down stairs, and waited for a couple of minutes. Within approximately 60 seconds of my arriving downstairs, the computer shut itself down as designed.

In fact I have the CyberPower "PowerPanel" software (daemon) installed and running, with 'tighter' shutdown criteria than the KDE desktop power management. Based on the timing and logs, it reads to me that the "PowerPanel" software successfully shutdown the PC.

The power was out for almost 2 hours. After about 15-minutes of no power, my wife and I went out shopping - and returned long after the power was restored. We learned of the power restoration timing from someone else.

I'm happy the shutdown worked, although I note nothing particularly challenging was going on by the PC at the time of the shutdown.

I run a cron script daily to get the status of the ups emailed to me:

Code:
    /usr/sbin/pwrstat -status
    If you examine the pwrstatd.conf file you will see there are two methods of shutting down: delay after power failure or delay after low battery. Personally I use the low battery and experimented with real power loss conditions to get the settings right to allow me the longest time on battery while having enough spare to cleanly shutdown.

You can edit the pwrstatd-powerfail.sh or pwrstatd-lowbatt.sh scripts in /etc to add extra functionality should you need it. For example, I have a Thecus N5550 NAS that I also shutdown by adding this command:

Code:
    /usr/bin/sshpass -p 'password' /usr/bin/ssh -f root@192.168.1.137 '/img/bin/sys_halt </dev/null >/var/log/root-backup.log 2>&1 &'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12