Thread: Recent LibreOffice update results in binaries that are glacially slow to start

Default Recent LibreOffice update results in binaries that are glacially slow to start

A recent Leap 15.1 update to LibreOffice -- to V6.2.5.2 -- resulted in oowriter and oocalc (probably others components as well) to take about 2:30 to launch. Is there any way to revert back to the release just prior to 6.2.5.2? I've had to go all the way back to the version that was on the 15.1 ISO from late May and protect it in YaST to keep the 6.2.5.2 from making its way back onto the system.

I have run the 6.2.5.2 oowrite under strace and only found one system call that took any appreciable amount of time (around 3:36) but don't know anything about the LO sources to know what that call was intended to be doing. Removing all traces of LO and installing the generic LO 6.3 rpm resulted in a similarly long startup time.

Wild guess: some library in 15.1 isn't compatible to these recent LO releases?

Any ideas?

Question Re: Recent LibreOffice update results in binaries that are glacially slow to start

@rnturner:

Do you have the newest JDK (Java) installed?
    • You need to have OpenJDK 11 installed and, LO needs to have this Java selected – “Tools - Options - LibreOffice - Advanced”.

Possibly not related but, LibreOffice Base now prefers to use Firebird – please check if you have the “firebird” and “libreoffice-base-drivers-firebird” packages installed.

Default Re: Recent LibreOffice update results in binaries that are glacially slow to start

@rnturner:

• You need to have OpenJDK 11 installed and, LO needs to have this Java selected – “Tools - Options - LibreOffice - Advanced”.

Possibly not related but, LibreOffice Base now prefers to use Firebird – please check if you have the “firebird” and “libreoffice-base-drivers-firebird” packages installed.
    OpenJDK appears to be installed (v11.0.4.0-etc) and oowriter v6.1.3.2 hasn't complained. I can't say I've ever /deliberately/ used LO Base (except to try it out some time back) but firebird /is/ installed. When I did that it was Base + PostgreSQL and, if I need to use LO Base again, I'd likely go that route again. I see the drivers are still available for Pg which is good.

BTW: Wouldn't these dependencies have been taken care of when the system updates were installed? I'm still back on the May Leap 15.1 ISO version of LO and these were taken care of. Perhaps the latest patches didn't have those set up.

Not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling to have this happen on Leap; if I wanted bleeding edge I would be running Tumbleweed on my desktop. I expect there being a chance of an update screwing up on my Tumbleweed laptop (probability = low but it /has/ happened).

Exclamation Re: Recent LibreOffice update results in binaries that are glacially slow to start

Quote Originally Posted by rnturner View Post
    I'm still back on the May Leap 15.1 ISO version of LO and these were taken care of. Perhaps the latest patches didn't have those set up.
    Golden Rule: “Either during the upgrade or, directly after upgrading, apply all the missing patches and updates.
    • When Leap releases, the versions in the ISO are those which were in the last freeze of the testing process.

There's another action which needs to executed after an upgrade: with the user “root” – “rpmconfigcheck”.

If bringing the system to the current patch and update level doesn't help then, with the user “root”:
    • “zypper verify”
    • “rpm --verify --all”

The systems you're mentioning are suspiciously pointing some package version issues within your system …

Default Re: Recent LibreOffice update results in binaries that are glacially slow to start

Using LO Version: 6.2.5.2 Build ID: 20(Build:2) / Leap 15.1 on a ryzen3 laptop the startup time is <2 sec

With LO closed, try temporarily renaming the LO configuration file "~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu" so LO next starts with it's default settings.

Edit:
    Removing all traces of LO and installing the generic LO 6.3 rpm resulted in a similarly long startup time.
    Ah, sorry, see you've effectively tried that.
    Last edited by tannington; 31-Aug-2019 at 01:52. Reason: Didn't fully read initial post...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191207) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

With Leap 15.1 – LO Version: 6.2.5.2; Build-ID: 20(Build:2); CPU-Threads: 4; BS: Linux 4.12; UI-Render: Standard; VCL: gtk3; Calc: threaded.
    • Desktop: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor – old motherboard (“Suitable for the upcoming Windows 7” text on the board) – old SSD.
    • LO (command: “libreoffice %U”) starts in about 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    @rnturner:

You need to have OpenJDK 11 installed and, LO needs to have this Java selected.
    Since when is that? I always have it switched off to make LO faster. Java is, afaik, only needed for base and maybe some complicated parts in calc. For "normal day to day use" it is not needed, unless something changed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JanMussche View Post
    Since when is that?
    There's this explanation from LibreOffice (Document Foundation): <https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...-require-java/>.
    Taking a quick look on this Leap 15.1 box with LibreOffice 6.2.7.1 20(Build:1):
    Code:
     > find /usr/lib64/libreoffice/ -type f -iname '*java*'
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/Scripts/java/MemoryUsage/MemoryUsage.java
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/Scripts/java/HelloWorld/HelloWorld.java
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/Scripts/java/Highlight/HighlightText.java
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/soffice.cfg/svt/ui/javadisableddialog.ui
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/soffice.cfg/cui/ui/javastartparametersdialog.ui
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config/soffice.cfg/cui/ui/javaclasspathdialog.ui
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/services/scriptproviderforjavascript.rdb
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/javaldx
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libjavavmlo.so
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libjava_uno.so
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/javavendors.xml
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libjavaloaderlo.so
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/java-set-classpath
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/classes/ScriptProviderForJavaScript.jar
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/classes/ScriptProviderForJava.jar
    /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/classes/java_uno.jar
     >
    You can also try “grep -Ri 'java' /usr/lib64/libreoffice/* | grep --invert-match -i 'javascript'” and “grep -Ri 'javaclass' /usr/lib64/libreoffice/*”

Bottom line, you're mostly correct in that Base and Calc do definitely use Java but, there are other pieces of LibreOffice which still prefer to use Java or, more correctly, OpenJDK -- on this machine:
    Code:
     > java --version
    openjdk 11.0.4 2019-07-16
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.4+11-suse-lp151.3.6.1-x8664)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.4+11-suse-lp151.3.6.1-x8664, mixed mode)
     >

Is Java bad?

IMHO, no.
    • Provided that, it's not being mixed up with “JavaScript” – the thing which was developed by Netscape and then adopted by Microsoft …

Java as such, the original programming language developed by Sun Microsystems, is a useful platform-independent language.

Differences:
    • Java was developed by Sun; JavaScript was developed Netscape.

Similarities:

• JavaScript was designed with Java's syntax and standard library in mind.
    • All Java keywords were reserved in the original JavaScript.
    • JavaScript's standard library follows Java's naming conventions.
    • JavaScript's Math and Date objects are based on classes from Java 1.0.

Bottom line:

• JavaScript ain't Java