Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRUB mashed up after latest Windows 10 Pro update (dual boot uefi)

Default GRUB mashed up after latest Windows 10 Pro update (dual boot uefi)

My HP laptop is dual-boot uefi with Windows 10 Pro and Leap 15.1.

Windows has just been installing a big update where it said it would reboot several times to complete it. My GRUB boots into Leap by default. Now all I get on the screen is:

Welcome to GRUB!

error: unknown filesystem.
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>
    I think Windows is still in the middle of installing its' updates.

Does anyone know how I should go about repairing GRUB?
    "In the future, everything will work."

Schwa

Default Re: GRUB mashed up after latest Windows 10 Pro update (dual boot uefi)

Normally we'd say boot your installation media, choose "More", then choose "Boot Linux System", from which you could go into the YaST Bootloader module to cause an update. However, that method is broken, tracked in bug 1146017.

To figure out what to do, instead on that screen, choose "Rescue System". That will start a text mode session. Please use that to run bootinfoscript, and upload its output to https://susepaste.org/ so we can examine the state of the boot and partition configuration and subsequently provide steps to repair. Ultimately, a chroot into the installed system will be used to make the needed repair. This you may be able to get through with no further help via https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...efi-bootloader instead of first running and sharing bootinfoscript output.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Goose View Post
    I think Windows is still in the middle of installing its' updates.
    If something similar happened here, I would hit F12 during boot to get the firmware (BIOS) boot menu, and boot into Windows. That would be to allow Windows to complete its updates. And I would hope that fixed the problem, though I'm not at all sure that it would.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If something similar happened here, I would hit F12 during boot to get the firmware (BIOS) boot menu, and boot into Windows. That would be to allow Windows to complete its updates. And I would hope that fixed the problem, though I'm not at all sure that it would.
    Some BOOT fun: http://boot-keys.org/
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Some BOOT fun: http://boot-keys.org/
    Yes, it's an inconsistent mess out there.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Thanks nrickert, I hit F9 for the boot menu and selected OS Boot Manager. Windows booted and finished installing the update. But as you suspected, that didn't fix GRUB, which still has the same error message.

Schwa

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    To figure out what to do, instead on that screen, choose "Rescue System". That will start a text mode session. Please use that to run bootinfoscript, and upload its output to https://susepaste.org/ so we can examine the state of the boot and partition configuration and subsequently provide steps to repair.
    Thanks mrmazda, I'll have a go at that as it may also help others.

Schwa

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Normally we'd say boot your installation media, choose "More", then choose "Boot Linux System", from which you could go into the YaST Bootloader module to cause an update. However, that method is broken, tracked in bug 1146017.

To figure out what to do, instead on that screen, choose "Rescue System". That will start a text mode session. Please use that to run bootinfoscript, and upload its output to https://susepaste.org/ so we can examine the state of the boot and partition configuration and subsequently provide steps to repair. Ultimately, a chroot into the installed system will be used to make the needed repair. This you may be able to get through with no further help via https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...efi-bootloader instead of first running and sharing bootinfoscript output.
    I tried running 'bootinfoscript' from the rescue shell, but it didn't recognise the command, and I can't see anything in /bin or /sbin which looks like it?

By the way, I found out my laptop is actually running Leap 15.0, not Leap 15.1 as I had thought.

Schwa

I misremembered, thought it was in standard repos, and installed by default. It's an information gathering script that needs to be downloaded.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

Just type "grub error: unknown filesystem" into your preferred search engine. There are vids availible on how to fix this. It's real simple.
    I went through this last week after Windows 1903 update. MS startet to mess up grub again since 1806 update *sigh*.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast