Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Failed to connect to bus, failed to talk to init daemon

Talking Re: Failed to connect to bus, failed to talk to init daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    Should I say solved?
    At least an improvement.
    In my case two systems: both AMD; one “Ethernet-only” and “Wicked” – the other “WLAN and/or Ethernet” and “Network Manager”.
    • Yes, on both systems, I have occasionally experienced “it works!” and then, it doesn't, any more …

So, what's the root cause?
    • To be honest, I'm still suspecting the graphics subsystem – X11 – which is why I'm waiting for Wayland …

Default Re: Failed to connect to bus, failed to talk to init daemon

After looking around a bit on both installations, in Leap 15.1 I deleted
    libvdpau1, xf86-video-nouveau, xdpyinfo, xf86dga, libXxf86dga1 .

The system boots a bit slower and reacts a bit slower, otherwise runs.

But using the Network Manager Applet to disconnect WLAN the system locks up again.
    CORRIGENDUM:
    I did not delete libvdpau1 (which still was present on both installations, Leap 42.3 and 15.1), but I deleted libvdpau_nouveau in Leap 15.1 instead.

Now I reinstalled
    libvdpau_nouveau, xf86-video-nouveau, xdpyinfo, xf86dga, libXxf86dga1
    in Leap 15.1 again, because removing these had no effect on the baviour with respect to Network Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Since NM is normally user specific and have user specific settings have you tried a different user?
    Generally I only have 2 users: root, and a default user without root privileges.
    So the possibility for me to try a different user are limited.

I never made specific settings in Network Manager - except for one: the WLAN password.
    All other settings are unchanged at their default values.
    I always used it that way under the different versions of openSUSE since Network Manager was included in openSUSE.
    Never had these problems like under Leap 15.1 now.

But anyway I now tried to log in as root to see what Network Manager would do then. Here is what I did and what happened.

1) Using Yast > Network Settings I switched from 'Wicked Service' to 'NetworkManager Service' again.
    2) Fresh boot. Automatic login as the default user (without password).
    3) I log out in order to get a login screen to login as root.

Oooops:
    I get a text screen with the last startup messages and a login prompt that doesn't work - I enter root (return), nothing happens, not even a timeout.
    Seems 15.1 is locked up again.
    Hitting Ctrl-Alt-F7 I get startup messages, the last line being "Starting Locale Service ...".
    Hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 I get startup messages, the last line being "Welcome to openSUSE Leap 15.1 - Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default (tty1).", along with the dysfunctional login prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    In my case two systems: both AMD; one “Ethernet-only” and “Wicked” – the other “WLAN and/or Ethernet” and “Network Manager”.
    • Yes, on both systems, I have occasionally experienced “it works!” and then, it doesn't, any more …

So, what's the root cause?
    • To be honest, I'm still suspecting the graphics subsystem – X11 – which is why I'm waiting for Wayland …
    Hm, I currently have a systematic error - Leap 15.1 reliably crashes each and every time I use Network Manager to disconnect WLAN.
    And it even crashes in some more situations - you probably have read the postings above.

This is different to a sporadic error, which may occur due to e.g. a bad contact that sometimes still works and sometimes not.

Another reason for your occasional problems could be your internet provider. Is the service up reliably?
    More possible reasons, at least for WLAN: if you live in an environment/a house where many people have many routers at short distances, then WLAN connections may not always work well, especially at times when most people are at home and make use of their WLAN.
    But the cable connection to your router should always work.

X11 is quite old software. So many bugs have already been fixed over the years.
    In contrast to that, new software brings new bugs.
    The same will almost certainly be true for Wayland.
    Cf. the situation btrfs vs. ext4.
    I never hear anything from the ext4 on my volumes, except that I made a power off instead of a shutdown before the last boot (as currently happens almost every time under Leap 15.1 ...). Access to the data on ext4 volumes has always worked that well for me, that I almost could have forgotten that there is a file system (i.e. a piece of software) underneath. And that is just perfect!
    Under MacOS 8 I once made the experience that parts of the file system got damaged, and that is really bad, because you then just don't know anymore which data still is realiable, and which isn't.

Next thing I tried:

1) Fresh boot.
    2) I use Network Manager Applet to disconnect the cable connection instead of the WLAN connection.
    Result: The system locks up as well.

Another reason for your occasional problems could be your internet provider. Is the service up reliably?
    Yes it is – 50 Mbit/s DSL which also carries VoIP – current latency 10 ms downstream; 11 ms upstream …
    The ISP occasionally performs a hard reset on the DSL connection about once every 6 months, between midnight and sunrise.

More possible reasons, at least for WLAN: if you live in an environment/a house where many people have many routers at short distances, then WLAN connections may not always work well, especially at times when most people are at home and make use of their WLAN.
    I have a WLAN Mesh with 2 Repeaters – Laptops, mobile Telephones and, a Printer on the WLAN.

But the cable connection to your router should always work.
    There are at least 2 desktops, plus a Printer and a NAS on the Ethernet LAN – plus, occasionally the Laptops – plus a Disk on the Router itself.
    And you're correct – they're always available …

But, the KDE / System “hang when switching VT” occurs regardless of, Laptop or, Desktop and, for the Laptop case, even when it's Off-Line …

But, the KDE / System “hang when switching VT” occurs regardless of, Laptop or, Desktop and, for the Laptop case, even when it's Off-Line …
    Just an idea: perhaps you could count the switches of VT that you make until the system hangs or crashes, in order to see if there is some kind of repeatable behaviour or scheme.
    But on the other hand, that would mean that you would have to accept that your system crashes from time to time, and that data thus may get lost ... usually not what one would like to occur.
    On the device on which I installed Leap 15.1 which crashed even more times than reported here, I hardly have any data, so I don't worry about data losses in this case.

Blog Entries

IMO might be a hard to find corruption.
    Try doing a DVD repair, followed by a system update.

Of course, fully backup everything first.
    Depending on the speed of your Internet connection and disks, this could take a half day to complete but it ought to address any embedded system anomalies.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Red face Re: Failed to connect to bus, failed to talk to init daemon

Just an idea: perhaps you could count the switches of VT that you make until the system hangs or crashes, in order to see if there is some kind of repeatable behaviour or scheme.
    Hmmm …
    I've performed the following Test Case on this Laptop – AMD APU; Switchable Graphics (BIOS/UEFI)
    «UMA Graphics didn't seem to change anything … »; only the APU (Richland [Radeon HD 8650G]) active; Aruba OpenGL:
    1. Login as root to TTY1; isolate to Multi-User target; stop the NetworkManager service.
    2. Login as other CLI users on TTY2 through TTY7 – yes, I really do have so many users on my systems …
    3. <Ctl-Alt-Fx> between the various users.
    4. No hangs experienced.
    5. Logged out the user on TTY7.
    6. TTY1: systemctl default
    7. On the SDDM greeter, login as my “normal” GUI user.
    8. From KDE Plasma, change to one of the TTYx users.
    9. Switch back and forth between the TTY1-6 users and the KDE Plasma session.
    10. From the KDE Plasma session, begin a new Plasma session and login as one of my “other” users.
    11. Switch back and forth between the TTY1-6 users and the KDE Plasma sessions.
    12. Log out of the “other” Plasma session (TTY8) user.
    13. Log out of the TTY1-6 users.
    14. The remaining Plasma session (TTY7) remained up until I corrected the BlueDevil settings «they got changed by the defaults on the test user (TTY8)» – then the Plasma Shell crashed, and restarted – without enough information for a Crash Report for the KDE folks – despite installing debug symbols …
    15. The remaining Plasma session is still up – I'm using it to write this …

So, with everything “Leap 15.1 latest” even on this AMD hardware, switching between sessions seems to be, currently, acceptably stable …

So, with everything “Leap 15.1 latest” even on this AMD hardware, switching between sessions seems to be, currently, acceptably stable …
    Well ...
    In my view the AMD hardware shouldn't be the problem. Not as such.

In my case, under the newly installed 15.1 on that laptop, I currently seem to be able to avoid lock ups by just not using Network Manager. And I can live with that, as long as the other things work that I need for daily routine, and as long as the system runs stable then, which under openSUSE for me had usually been that way.

Besides - but I'm not an expert here - is there a specific reason that you don't use several windows of Konsole (Konsole anyway is part of KDE, which you use) instead of the several VTs / TTYs?
    I like to work with Konsole, or even with the terminal in Dolphin - one can copy and paste commands, and in Dolphin one doesn't even have to browse / navigate to certain folders by typing lengthy paths using the cd command. Dolphin does it for you. And the su command in Dolphin's terminal works as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast