Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Failed to connect to bus, failed to talk to init daemon

Default Re: Failed to connect to bus, failed to talk to init daemon

Another observation when I use Konsole of KDE as terminal - and thus can still see the Plasma DE:

Immediately after entering
    Code:
    # rfkill block wlan
    #
    in Konsole, a popup window or message appears near the lower right corner of the desktop telling that the WLAN connection had been deactivated.
    So the rfkill command seems to take effect before the system locks up.
    The piece of software that triggers this message on the desktop will be Network Manager, I guess.

WLAN hardware is a Realtek RTL8191SEvB, according to hwinfo.
    That works without problem under Leap 42.3.

Blog Entries

Not sure what to say,
    I wouldn't expect what you're seeing and
    Although for a bit I speculated that your system might have unmounted your drives thereby causing inability to find the file and any devices in your file tree, you say you are able to browse to the file so either you're reading something cached in memory or the drive is still mounted (You might think about exactly your environment when you browsed to see the file).

As for the "shutdown -h now" command, it's pretty sudden and violent. Although it probably won't make any diff, I recommend you use the systemd command instead which does nearly the same thing but of course is more consistent with the running subsystem
    Code:
    systemctl poweroff
    The
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Not sure what to say,
    I wouldn't expect what you're seeing and
    Although for a bit I speculated that your system might have unmounted your drives thereby causing inability to find the file and any devices in your file tree, you say you are able to browse to the file so either you're reading something cached in memory or the drive is still mounted (You might think about exactly your environment when you browsed to see the file).

As for the "shutdown -h now" command, it's pretty sudden and violent. Although it probably won't make any diff, I recommend you use the systemd command instead which does nearly the same thing but of course is more consistent with the running subsystem
    Code:
    systemctl poweroff
    Hi again!

Your thought that my system might have unmounted my drives could possibly explain the error messages that I get - at least I didn't get an error message that would contradict that.

I tried the following to perhaps get a clue:
    I opened a Konsole window (i.e. a terminal), and became root using 'su' (which in this case wouldn't have even been necessary).
    I disabled WLAN again using the Network Manager Applet.
    I try to open a Dolphin window clicking on the icon in the task bar that was placed there when I navigated to
    Application Launcher (leftmost KDE icon in the task bar) > Applications > System
    right-clicking on 'File Manager Dolphin', and selecting 'Add to Panel (Widget)'.

Error message (this time the original english text):
    Code:
    Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder
    /home/mydefaultuser/.local/share/plasma_icons/org.kde.dolphin.desktop
    does not exist.
    I click on the Konsole window, that is still present, to activate it.
    I enter the mount command:
    Code:
    # mount
    mount: failed to read mtab: No such file or directory
    #
    I try to shut down using the command you suggested
    Code:
    # systemctl poweroff
    Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
    Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
    It is possible to perform action directly, see discussion of --force--force in man systemctl(1).
    #
    That 'Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory' was printed twice here, is no typo.

One thing you seem to have misunderstood, and I may not have written that absolutely clearly:
    The file
    /home/mydefaultuser/.local/share/plasma_icons/org.kde.dolphin.desktop
    does exist, it represents the file manager icon in the task bar mentioned above, and it was never deleted.
    As long as the system isn't locked up (e.g. after every boot, and before using Network Manager Applet) I can navigate to/browse it.
    After the system locked up (i.e. after using Network Manager Applet), I can not do almost anything anymore: no opening of apps (like Dolphin), no shutdown, nothing. So in that state I can not browse that file anymore.

Ah, wait: I finally tried the following:
    I open a Dolphin window for /home/mydefaultuser.
    After using Network Manager Applet to disconnect WLAN, I get back to that window and try to open the subfolder '.local'.
    Error message:
    Code:
    The file or folder /home/mydefaultuser/.local does not exist.

I forgot to say: before both attempts described above (i.e. opening Konsole, or Dolphin, before using Network Manager Applet), each time I made a fresh boot.

Show zypper lr -d You may have mixed repos. since nothing you describe is normal

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Show zypper lr -d You may have mixed repos. since nothing you describe is normal
    Hi
    In my first short posting I wrote that I use the 4 standard repos only.
    It was a fresh install from an USB stick with the online repos included, and I didn't change anything about the repos.
    But you probably want to see it anyway, so here is the output of 'zypper lr -d':
    Code:
    #  | Alias                     | Name                                                    | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                      | Service
    ---+---------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
     1 | openSUSE-Leap-15.1-1      | openSUSE-Leap-15.1-1                                    | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | rpm-md | hd:/?device=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Intenso_Rainbow_09112700349194-0:0-part2 |        
     2 | repo-debug                | Debug Repository                                        | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/oss/      |        
     3 | repo-debug-non-oss        | Debug Repository (Non-OSS)                              | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/non-oss/  |        
     4 | repo-debug-update         | Update Repository (Debug)                               | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/15.1/oss/                 |        
     5 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | Update Repository (Debug, Non-OSS)                      | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/15.1/non-oss/             |        
     6 | repo-non-oss              | Non-OSS Repository                                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/non-oss/        |        
     7 | repo-oss                  | Haupt-Repository                                        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/oss/            |        
     8 | repo-source               | Source Repository                                       | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/oss/     |        
     9 | repo-source-non-oss       | Source Repository (Non-OSS)                             | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/non-oss/ |        
    10 | repo-update               | Hauptaktualisierungs-Repository                         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/15.1/oss                        |        
    11 | repo-update-non-oss       | Aktualisierungs-Repository (Nicht-Open-Source-Software) | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/15.1/non-oss/                   |
    By your remark that nothing I describe would be normal, you had me thinking about what - except for the different versions of the software - could be different between my installation of Leap 15.1 and that of Leap 42.3 for the same laptop (Leap 42.3 runs quite normal).
    One difference I found was in the software for graphics / video.

For Leap 15.1 I have
    Code:
    # Status             Package                        | Summary                                  | Installed (Available)     |       Size

[Taboo -- Never Install] Mesa-dri-nouveau               | Mesa DRI plug-in for 3D acceleration ... | (18.3.2-lp151.22.4)       |   21,5 MiB
    [Taboo -- Never Install] Mesa-dri-nouveau-32bit         | Mesa DRI plug-in for 3D acceleration ... | (18.3.2-lp151.22.4)       |   23,6 MiB
    [Keep]               libdrm_nouveau2                | Userspace interface for Kernel DRM se... | 2.4.97-lp151.1.1          |   30,4 KiB
    [Keep]               libvdpau_nouveau               | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | 18.3.2-lp151.22.4         |    6,2 MiB
    [Keep]               xf86-video-nouveau             | Beschleunigter Open-Source-Treiber fü... | 1.0.15-lp151.4.1          |  214,8 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     libXvMC_nouveau                | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (18.3.2-lp151.22.4)       |    3,9 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     libXvMC_nouveau-32bit          | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (18.3.2-lp151.22.4)       |    4,3 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     libdrm_nouveau2-32bit          | Userspace interface for Kernel DRM se... | (2.4.97-lp151.1.1)        |   33,5 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     libvdpau_nouveau-32bit         | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (18.3.2-lp151.22.4)       |    6,7 MiB
    For Leap 42.3 I have
    Code:
    # Status             Package                        | Summary                                  | Installed (Available)     |       Size

[Keep]               libdrm_nouveau2                | Userspace interface for Kernel DRM se... | 2.4.76-1.2                |   30,4 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     Mesa-dri-nouveau               | Mesa DRI plug-in for 3D acceleration ... | (17.0.5-176.1)            |   16,5 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     Mesa-dri-nouveau-32bit         | Mesa DRI plug-in for 3D acceleration ... | (17.0.5-176.1)            |   17,4 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     libXvMC_nouveau                | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (17.0.5-176.1)            |    3,7 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     libXvMC_nouveau-32bit          | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (17.0.5-176.1)            |    3,8 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     libdrm_nouveau2-32bit          | Userspace interface for Kernel DRM se... | (2.4.76-1.2)              |   29,6 KiB
    [Do Not Install]     libvdpau_nouveau               | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (17.0.5-176.1)            |    4,6 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     libvdpau_nouveau-32bit         | XVMC state tracker for Nouveau           | (17.0.5-176.1)            |    4,9 MiB
    [Do Not Install]     xf86-video-nouveau             | Beschleunigter Open-Source-Treiber fü... | (1.0.15-1.3)              |  223,4 KiB
    These lists were produced by going to YaST > Software Management, searching for 'nouveau', right-clicking on the first entry of the search results, and selecting 'Export this list to text file'.

I will try to adapt the driver software for Leap 15.1 accordingly and see what that does.

No improvement.

After looking around a bit on both installations, in Leap 15.1 I deleted
    libvdpau1, xf86-video-nouveau, xdpyinfo, xf86dga, libXxf86dga1 .

The system boots a bit slower and reacts a bit slower, otherwise runs.

But using the Network Manager Applet to disconnect WLAN the system locks up again.

Using YaST > Network Settings to change from 'Network Manager Service' to 'Wicked Service', the system locks up as well.
    Switch off the hard way again ...

Next fresh boot.
    The icon of the Network Manager Applet in the task bar is gone.
    So the above changes using YaST > Network Settings took effect.
    Let's see what rfkill does now.
    Code:
    # rfkill
    ID TYPE DEVICE      SOFT      HARD
     0 wlan phy0   unblocked unblocked
    # 
    # rfkill block wlan
    # 
    # rfkill
    ID TYPE DEVICE    SOFT      HARD
     0 wlan phy0   blocked unblocked
    # 
    # rfkill unblock wlan
    # 
    # rfkill
    ID TYPE DEVICE      SOFT      HARD
     0 wlan phy0   unblocked unblocked
    #
    Et voilà ...

And the system isn't locked up.

Should I say solved?
    At least an improvement.

I think I've seen it for today ...

Since NM is normally user specific and have user specific settings have you tried a different user?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast