Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: zypper cache update

  1. #1

    Default zypper cache update

    hi everyone

    why zypper updates cache everytime when installing a new package?

    for example running
    Code:
    zypper in thunderbird
    refreshes repositories and i should wait for it to complete. i'm living in iran and we face lot of network issues here specially timeout issue.

    please guide me what should i do. sometimes using torsocks helps but now always.


    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sauerland
    Posts
    3,929

    Default AW: zypper cache update

    Code:
    why zypper updates cache everytime when installing a new package?
    see /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

    ##
    ## Amount of time in minutes that must pass before another refresh.
    ##
    ## Valid values: Integer
    ## Default value: 10
    ##
    ## If you have autorefresh enabled for a repository, it is checked for
    ## up-to-date metadata not more often than every <repo.refresh.delay>
    ## minutes. If an automatic request for refresh comes before <repo.refresh.delay>
    ## minutes passed since the last check, the request is ignored.
    ##
    ## A value of 0 means the repository will always be checked. To get the opposite
    ## effect, disable autorefresh for your repositories.
    ##
    ## This option has no effect for repositories with autorefresh disabled, nor for
    ## user-requested refresh.
    ##
    # repo.refresh.delay = 10
    Or disable autorefresh for your Repos and do it only with
    Code:
    zypper ref

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,974

    Default Re: zypper cache update

    Quote Originally Posted by PejmanR View Post
    hi everyone

    why zypper updates cache everytime when installing a new package?

    for example running
    Code:
    zypper in thunderbird
    refreshes repositories and i should wait for it to complete. i'm living in iran and we face lot of network issues here specially timeout issue.

    please guide me what should i do. sometimes using torsocks helps but now always.


    thanks in advance
    I think al lot of what you ask can be found in
    Code:
    man zypper
    There is a section "Refresh" which explains when and why refreshing is done. And also point to how to suppress refresh for a repository (that is imho most easily done through YaST > software > Repository Management where you see and can change automatic refreshing for each repo).

    You will see there that a refresh is only done when not done already a short time ago. And also that it is only done when the downloading of only a few small files indicates that things have changes since your last refresh. Thus most of the overhead of needless refresh is already taken care of.

    Please read that first and then come back with more precise questions if you have them.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: AW: zypper cache update

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Code:
    why zypper updates cache everytime when installing a new package?
    see /etc/zypp/zypp.conf



    Or disable autorefresh for your Repos and do it only with
    Code:
    zypper ref
    thanks for your helps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,763
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: zypper cache update

    FWIW: On an unreliable internet connection I would not even think of running Tumbleweed. The upgrades ( TW releasing over and over again ) can be really big, up to complete rebuilds of the release due to switch to new compiler(option)s f.e.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    959

    Default Re: zypper cache update

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    FWIW: On an unreliable internet connection I would not even think of running Tumbleweed. The upgrades ( TW releasing over and over again ) can be really big, up to complete rebuilds of the release due to switch to new compiler(option)s f.e.
    I think you can use Tumbleweed even on poor internet connections. You need to cache your downloads by using zypper dup --download-only. Repeat that command until your cache is consistent. Only then run zypper dup. Of course you need to provide sufficient disk space.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •