Network Ethernet WIRED router not at 1000Mbps in Leap but is in Windows(dual boot)

What did I do wrong this time?
I have been noticing a slowness on the Internet for the HP Compaq DC7700CMP Desktop.

My Ethernet connection desktop is showing an amber light(100/M or 10/M) when I boot up Leap 15.1.
When I boot up Win10 on the same machine, the Ethernet light is white(1000/M).

I have tried some things in the NetworkManager(right click the tray icon and going to Configure Network Connections).
In the wired tab I set the speed to 1000Mbit/s, Ipv4 on, Ipv6 off, MTU at Automatic, and at Half Duplex(Full Duplex didn’t make it better).

I looked at the router settings and didn’t see anything there that specifically pointed me to a 1000Mbit/s.

In fact the router status shows 1000/M when in Windows and 100/M when in Leap 15.1.

I opened YaST to look there, but was informed is was being handled by NM and YaST settings

Warning, Network is currently handled by NetworkManager
or completely disabled. YaST is unable to configure some options.

which is true, I can’t change anything there unless I switch to Wicked which I don’t want to do.

Hi
Is the connection set to auto negotiate?

Can you show the output from (as root user);

ip addr (to identify ethernet interface name used below)
ethtool <your interface>
hwinfo --netcard

@malcomlewis, I put the outputs in susepaste as it was quite large.
https://susepaste.org/69263943
I am not using the onboard Ethernet(Intel). But failed to exclude it from the pasted up info.

Is was NOT set to auto negotiate! And it is now.
Longer story, I set it to Auto Negotiate, and it didn’t seem to help( I didn’t reboot).
I shut down after that and booted up Windows to check its Ethernet connection properties and saved them for future reference.
BUT, I then rebooted Leap, and the Internet light is now white(1000mbit/s) as is should be.

Honestly I do not know how it got to amber as it had always been white until the last week or so(maybe more).

My next question is should I also have ipv6 setup as well as ipv4? (windows does), and half or full duplex?

THE Windows Ethernet info if you need it.
https://susepaste.org/59770358

Reloading the driver was probably all that was required…(a reboot would do this of course).

I shut down after that and booted up Windows to check its Ethernet connection properties and saved them for future reference.
BUT, I then rebooted Leap, and the Internet light is now white(1000mbit/s) as is should be.

Mission accomplished!

Honestly I do not know how it got to amber as it had always been white until the last week or so(maybe more).

My next question is should I also have ipv6 setup as well as ipv4? (windows does), and half or full duplex?

Full duplex is usually the default and most NICs/devices would support that these days. If your router and ISP provide IPv6 capabilities, then yes it should be enabled.

Don’t forget to set your configuration to Full Duplex.
Depending on the type of traffic, you should generally see a minimum improvement of about 15% or so…

https://www.google.com/search?q=network+card+half+full+duplex

TSU

Something still not right,
I am including image links for the Network Manager settings panels.

If I change anything other than these settings it connects, but immediately gets a little yellow spot on the icon in the tray. And Facebook, gmail or other sites load in, but if I try to do anything in them it loads for a long time, then I get the DNS message and NO Internet Connection messages.

General Config Panel https://susepaste.org/78657411
Wired panel https://susepaste.org/75271211
801.1 security panel https://susepaste.org/71847192
IPv4 panel https://susepaste.org/89009298
IPv6 panel https://susepaste.org/71688553

I apparently have my head in a dark place when I come to getting these settings correct.
At this point it is working, but it is erratic, and I never know if it is a good connection or not until I am in a browser or email client.

I will try to find appropriate router info and post images here if needed.

Hi
What is the output from;

cat /etc/resolv.conf

In Network Manager, did you set a static ip adress, gateway address and dns servers? Or is it set to DHCP, if so what are the DNS settings in your router?

bill@linux-ipxi:~> cat /etc/resolv.conf
### /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /var/run/netconfig/resolv.conf
### autogenerated by netconfig!
#
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
#
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
#
### Call "netconfig update -f" to force adjusting of /etc/resolv.conf.
nameserver 192.168.1.1

I posted a bunch of images of the Network Manager above, and my ISP does not let me use a static IP. No gateway address and DNS server that i can find in Network Manager.(again see the images I posted earlier this evening).

I have looked at the man pages and all I see just makes me cross eyed.

Hi
So it’s using your router as the DNS server, I tend to avoid that (plus have own pihole dns servers). In Network Manager there should be an option to configure two or more dns servers? If so I would suggest openDNS 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

I see it in the ipv4 tab, ‘Other DNS servers’ or in your router specify them.

In your case since you only have one DNS server and if your router is having issues (they do, normally a reboot will fix) serving up dns info, having a couple in use separate from the router should help.

Thanks, I will see if I am smart enough to do that.
Other things is, my IP at this time is 50.83.165.79
But my router is

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:53:16:10:63 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    **inet 192.168.1.5/24 brd 192.168.1.255** scope global noprefixroute dynamic eth0
       valid_lft 75839sec preferred_lft 75839sec
    inet6 fe80::2f14:10ca:143b:ebac/64 scope link noprefixroute  
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

My cable modem may be what is determining how I am connected to the Internet , even if my PC Ethernet cable is attached to my Netgear router.
OK that is unclear! I have a cable modem. I run Ethernet cable for it, to my Netgear router.
This is the ‘status’ WAN and LAN page info of the cable modem setup.

**Internet**
WAN IP Address 50.83.165.79
WAN Gateway 50.83.160.1
Primary DNS IP Address 108.166.149.2
Secondary DNS IP Address 108.166.149.3
Firewall On
CM IP Address 10.167.160.84
CM Gateway 10.167.160.1
IPv6 Link Local Address fe80::b2ea:bcff:fea9:cd9c/64
IPv6 prefix delegation 2604:2d80:d087:3800::/56
IPv6 DNS Address 2607:fdc8:c::2 2607:fdc8:c::3
IPv6 Router fe80::2a2:89ff:fe27:b419

**LAN**
IP Network 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
MAC Address b0:ea:bc:a9:cd:9e
DHCP Server On
DHCPv6 Server On
DHCPv6 Server Type Stateful
Router Advertisement On
LAN Port 4 Inactive
LAN Port 3 Inactive
LAN Port 2 Inactive
LAN Port 1 Active

Please note those ARE NOT from my Netgear router
And my ISP does not do static IP addresses, so tomorrow, or next boot they may be different.
So, I am lost again, as usual! Don’t know what to put in the NM boxes!

is it possible to put multiple images in one susepaste link?
I can post some images form the Netgear router setups, but that one at a time thing is a royal pain.

Hi
So in the Network Manager ipv4 settings 'Other DNS servers" add either your ISP’s which are;

Your ref: SUSE Paste

108.166.149.2, 108.166.149.3

Or the ones I indicated;

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Since your using an extra router, that’s adding an additional layer or routing, normally if adding another router you would bridge your ISP’s one and the configure your network via the Netgear device.

Your WAN network is incorrectly configured,
The upstream (external) network is a private IP address, which means that you yourself can use only private IP address ranges for your 2 LANs (wired and wireless).
Your wired LAN is ok, (192.168.x.y)
But your wireless is not (50.x.y.z).
You should configure your wireless to use a private IP address range that’s different than both router’s external (10.167.160.0/24) and your wired LAN (192.168.1.0/24).

There are various references that describe the assigned Class A, B and C address ranges that are reserved for private use, and your wireless (50.x.y.z) is not within any of those.

TSU

I may have added some confusion.
I am not using the router that is in my ISP’s modem. I have the router portion disabled. I use just the modem.
Granted, I have to connect the modem to my Netgear router with an Ethernet cable. Is that what you mean by ‘bridge’?

Also, I think I can enable IPv6 in my Netgear router. Would that be a good idea?

Hi
No, else there would be no ip addresses on the cable modem, you would log in to your ISP via the netgear if it was bridged, at present I see;

[cable modem: internet(50.83.165.79) <-> wan(192.168.0.1)] <-> [Netgear wan(192.168.1.1) <-> localnet(you pc 192.168.1.5)]

Multiple ip addresses to connect the two devices.

So, your cable modem has DNS servers list, your netgear device has one which is on your pc, so to look up for example google.com from your PC;

PC queries Netgear, then the Netgear queries the Modem DNS primary, and then sends it back to the Netgear which then send it to your PC, all takes time and if it the cable modem primary DNS doesn’t reply, then it will go off to the Cable modem secondary DNS to query…

If you set the DNS servers on the PC, it goes out direct and back sure there is delay internet side, but saves the extra queries and traffic if local…

In your case I would consider just defining the DNS servers on the PC and any other local systems and avoid the Netgear and Cable Modem…

I would also stick to just ipv4 addresses :wink:

@malcomlewis Thanks!
Good explanation! Beats anything I have found in searching that just tends to be overwritten, too many words, and WAY too much unnecessary ‘author self pat on the back’ dialog. (almost felt the elbows snapping reading through some of that stuff)

I have copied it, and put it in a safe place for future reference.

I am curious about how you found my ISP’s DNS servers(pasted from another of your posts above about DNS servers.

add either your ISP's which are;

Your ref: https://susepaste.org/89009298

Code:
108.166.149.2, 108.166.149.3

I went looking for them before, and nothing I found was anywhere near those numbers.

I used the openDNS ones you recommended.

And I am sticking to IPv4. Simpler for me at this time.

You supplied those details in post #11

Hi
So, do things seem a little quicker now?

If you run;

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Does is show the two openDNS ones? If not you may need to restart Networkmanager service…

DUH! O.F. strikes again!

If you run;

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Does is show the two openDNS ones? If not you may need to restart Networkmanager service…[/QUOTE]

Yes it shows the openDNS IP’s,

cat /etc/resolv.conf
### /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /var/run/netconfig/resolv.conf
### autogenerated by netconfig!
#
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
#
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
#
### Call "netconfig update -f" to force adjusting of /etc/resolv.conf.
**nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220**

I can’t really say it is because my ISP’s nameserver ‘192.168.1.1’ is in the output as well as the openDNS IP’s.
If I try to set IPv4 to manual instead of Automatic, it doesn’t stick.
Can I edit that file manually to remove my ISP’s nameserver, or put it at the bottom?