Thread: Baloo File Indexing Daemon Bug and Akonadi

Default Baloo File Indexing Daemon Bug and Akonadi

What is the relationship between Baloo and Akonadi I ask.
    In my ignorance I though they worked together in some fashion but will need to read up on this.
    The reason for my question is that every time I reboot or log out and back in again I get a KDE Crash Handler bug appear in my tray. This has been reported countless times by others and still has not been fixed in months, which suggests to me that something is wrong or Baloo needs to be retired. Can anybody shine any light on this?
    Budgie2

Default Re: Baloo File Indexing Daemon Bug and Akonadi

More grist to this mill. I had a look at what was happening with Akonadi on my system and this is what I have:-

Code:
    alastair@install:~> sudo akonadictl status
    [sudo] password for root: 
    Error: could not determine $DISPLAY.
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    D-Bus session bus is not available!
    KCrash: Application 'akonadictl' crashing...
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
    sock_file=/tmp/runtime-root/
    Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi directly
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display 
    qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
    error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
    Failed to create wl_display (No such file or directory)
    qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
    This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Unable to start Dr. Konqi
    Re-raising signal for core dump handling.
    Aborted
    Time to disable Baloo and Akonadi perhaps. Does anybody use these for work?

Using wayland???

Blog Entries

Baloo is the KDE indexing utility. Akonadi does the database for Kontact ( kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer etc ). No other relation than both KDE related.

But ..........both running as your user, so not intended to be used with root permissions.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Baloo is the KDE indexing utility. Akonadi does the database for Kontact ( kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer etc ). No other relation than both KDE related.

But ..........both running as your user, so not intended to be used with root permissions.
    @Budgie2.
    In case you do not understand this to it's full extend. Running aconadictl as root is a rather .... When all is done properly, root never loged in the GUI, thus never used KDE, thus never used either Baloo nor Aconadi. You may be lucky and hope that running acondaictl as root did not damage something. I think it didn't because of the many errors given and thus probably no action at all.

Basic lesson should be that you must realy try to understand what the difference is between the system and the user environment, that every user (including root) has his/her own data, configurations, etc. including those of the GUI/Deskop he/she uses and that one should not run things as root without understanding why it is realy needed to do so.
    Henk van Velden

Hi and many thanks for the explanation. I have confused system and user usages as you say.
    Having tried akonadictl status as user it does tell me more and also that akonadi is not running at present:-

Code:
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~> akonadictl status
    Akonadi Control: stopped
    Akonadi Server: stopped
    Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search, Akonadi Search Plugin)
    Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_ews_resource, akonadi_ewsmta_resource, akonadi_facebook_resource, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_googlecalendar_resource, akonadi_googlecontacts_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_indexing_agent, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_knut_resource, akonadi_kolab_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_tomboynotes_resource, akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource
    alastair@AJBR-W530:~>
    Which is good as at present I do not need akonadi at present.

Not sure about Baloo as I am not aware of how it influences or fails to influence my work at present. Will continue to read when I have time but do appreciate your help and support. Many thanks.

You can turn file indexing/search (Baloo) off in Configure Desktop