Thread: Can't login on plasma - kstart cannot connect to x

Default Can't login on plasma - kstart cannot connect to x

After a zypper dup yesterday (I remember that it upgraded bumblebee and bbswitch) I can't login. I tried to boot from a snapshot that I did 3 days ago and this problem persists. Does someone knows what could be wrong?
    What I tried: Login on icewm, Wayland, uninstall bbswitch, bumblebee, etc...
    kstart plasmashell says Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyNo protocol specified kstart cannot connect to X server :0

I tried to use some of the snapshots from 3 days ago, and even so I can't log in. It loops back to the login screen.

Default Re: Can't login on plasma - kstart cannot connect to x

Can you check the following:

1. Double check that the permissions on `~/.Xauthority` is fine (should be yourusername:users and you should have read/write permissions). I imagine it would be very unusual for it have been changed in a dup but it may still be worth verifying.

Code:
    > ls -l ~/.Xauthority
    # Example output:
    # -rw------- 1 yourusername users 53 Aug 20 19:44 /home/yourusername/.Xauthority
    2. Verify that your hostname hasn't changed and that it's the same as the one listed in `~/.Xauthority`.

Code:
    > xauth list
    # example output:
    # yourhostname/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 131fa0af2d3a2abcce02593e56aebdd1
    If they all look fine, try forcing recreation of `~/.Xauthority` by renaming it

Code:
    > mv ~/.Xauthority ~/.Xauthority.bak

But when they do not look fine, what then?

Quote Originally Posted by jooiong View Post
    But when they do not look fine, what then?
    Can you elaborate? What's off about your `.Xauthority` file? If permissions have been modified, use `chmod` to adjust it. If ownership has been modified for some reason, use `chown` to correct it. I don't see any reason for these to have happened after a `dup` though. If the host name has been changed (i used to have this issue), you can set your host name using `hostname`. You can also use `xauth` to regenerate it (see `man xauth` and look for `generate`) or just rename it and try to force it to recreate the file.