Thread: LEAP 15.1 Just excellent.

Thumbs up LEAP 15.1 Just excellent.

I've installed OpenSUSE (15.1 Leap) on a few machines recently, just checking it out. I've used various distros over the years - Slackware, Ubuntu, Kali, Parrot, Mint, Fedora, etc. I have to say this is the best installer and best Linux distro I've used yet.

What really convinced me was the latest "Hey, I wonder if ..." installation on a Surface Pro 3. I fully expected issues with networking at least, but everything worked fine. Almost everything autodetected and installed with no fuss. ... and it's F A S T.

On one install (on a VirtualBox VM) there're some issues with Calibre seeing the books in my library, but I think that's down to Dropbox rather than anything inherent in OpenSUSE.

Looking forward to using this more.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just excellent.

Welcome aboard! Nice feedback to read.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Looking forward to hearing more about your future experiences!

If you haven't seen the slide deck for my openSUSE presentation, it describes not only pre-install and and install decisions, it also describes recommended first recommended steps after install, some features you don't find in other distros, more.

https://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse/#/

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Nice to hear you are satisfied, but this not being a request for help, it will be moved to General ChitChat.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post

If you haven't seen the slide deck for my openSUSE presentation, it describes not only pre-install and and install decisions, it also describes recommended first recommended steps after install, some features you don't find in other distros, more.

TSU
    This is indeed great reading. Users, mainly in forum discussions, remember best the bad times in the 2000s. I refrained from new installations during 2010 -2014. Starting with openSUSE 13.1 substantial improvements were made. Now that openSUSE streamlined their development process the distribution is great again. But they need to improve on spreading the word.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post

slide deck for my openSUSE presentation ...

TSU
    Thanks - I'll check that out!

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default Re: LEAP 15.1 Just excellent.

A far as I am concerned. TSU2's slide should be a MUST READ before a new openSuse users starts an install, and has good information for after the install as well!
    It has some important links to things we all should read.
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.1 Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.1 & Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)