Thread: mate-terminal crash with: Settings schema 'org.mate.interface' is not installed

Default mate-terminal crash with: Settings schema 'org.mate.interface' is not installed

I'm posting this with a similar title to the following thread which is closed, thankfully preventing me from necro-posting to it: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-not-installed.

I'm running a newly-installed Leap 15 minimal graphics system, currently on IceWM (not bad), soon to be my highly-customized/configured fvwm2 (perfection!) instead of KDE Plasma, GNOME, etc. (don't need all their extra stuff) and ran into the same problem. The above thread basically ended with, "Install the full MATE desktop", which I didn't want to do.

I'm here to report that merely installing "mate-desktop-gschemas" (which also brings in "mate-desktop-gschemas-branding-openSUSE") is sufficient. You're welcome. I found the above post via web searches; hopefully anyone else with the problem will find this, IMHO superior, solution. I figured it out by doing a `rpm -q --whatprovides` on my old Leap 42.1 machine which does have full MATE -- package name changed, but it was easy enough to find the correct 15.1 version. In any case, the zypper dependencies really should be fixed to make this all unnecessary.

"mate-terminal" is the only X Windows text terminal I can stand using (actually, "konsole" isn't bad, just mate-terminal is a little better). "gnome-terminal" is of course almost the same as mate-terminal but suffers from the GNOME3 disaster of not being able to turn off cursor blinking independent of the global setting. (Anyone want to re-open the GNOME3 complaint sessions, now what? almost ten years later?) The last thing I need is to get epilepsy from a blinking block cursor, and you can't turn it off globally because then you lose it in underline and bar cursors where it's needed in small font variable-width text fields.

I understand the points in the previous thread about apps being intended for use in their own (desktop) environment. Valid, but go too far down that path and you end up in Mac or Windows land. I love Linux for the freedom to pick and choose what's best for my needs from the vast array of open-source software available. Very glad I can keep doing that with mate-terminal on fvwm, etc., without having to bring in all of MATE.

Hope this helps someone.

Blog Entries

Default Re: mate-terminal crash with: Settings schema 'org.mate.interface' is not installed

Quote Originally Posted by OldButNotGuru View Post
    I'm posting this with a similar title to the following thread which is closed, thankfully preventing me from necro-posting to it: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-not-installed.

I'm running a newly-installed Leap 15 minimal graphics system, currently on IceWM (not bad), soon to be my highly-customized/configured fvwm2 (perfection!) instead of KDE Plasma, GNOME, etc. (don't need all their extra stuff) and ran into the same problem. The above thread basically ended with, "Install the full MATE desktop", which I didn't want to do.

I'm here to report that merely installing "mate-desktop-gschemas" (which also brings in "mate-desktop-gschemas-branding-openSUSE") is sufficient. You're welcome. I found the above post via web searches; hopefully anyone else with the problem will find this, IMHO superior, solution. I figured it out by doing a `rpm -q --whatprovides` on my old Leap 42.1 machine which does have full MATE -- package name changed, but it was easy enough to find the correct 15.1 version. In any case, the zypper dependencies really should be fixed to make this all unnecessary.

"mate-terminal" is the only X Windows text terminal I can stand using (actually, "konsole" isn't bad, just mate-terminal is a little better). "gnome-terminal" is of course almost the same as mate-terminal but suffers from the GNOME3 disaster of not being able to turn off cursor blinking independent of the global setting. (Anyone want to re-open the GNOME3 complaint sessions, now what? almost ten years later?) The last thing I need is to get epilepsy from a blinking block cursor, and you can't turn it off globally because then you lose it in underline and bar cursors where it's needed in small font variable-width text fields.

I understand the points in the previous thread about apps being intended for use in their own (desktop) environment. Valid, but go too far down that path and you end up in Mac or Windows land. I love Linux for the freedom to pick and choose what's best for my needs from the vast array of open-source software available. Very glad I can keep doing that with mate-terminal on fvwm, etc., without having to bring in all of MATE.

Hope this helps someone.
    Glad to hear you're makiing progress towards what you want.

FYI -
    FVWM was one of the "Window Manager only" installs I test installed for those who want to install your choice of WM from the very beginning...
    Whether you install your WM as part of your initial Install or later, you can browse all WMs in thier own group by enabling the "Package Groups" view in the YaST Software Installer, you can see this option in the following slide from my openSUSE presentation that displays a screenshot of this page

https://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse/#/14

Each test I ran, I did the following which is described by the sequence of slides in my slide deck(screenshots for each step of the Install)...
    Select "Generic Desktop" during the Installation
    In the Installation Summary, click "Software" to launch the YaST Software Installer
    Click on "Details" to view the various View Options
    Now, if you know what you want, you can search for your package, otherwise you can browse the Package Groups

Uninstall the IceWM package
    Install the FVWM package

By uninstalling IceWM, I don't have to configure update-alternatives to point to the preferred WM.
    Of course, if you're running a default openSUSE install which would mean you have IceWM installed, you can modify the above to set up what you want.

When I sometimes find myself on an Ubuntu system, I find the default terminal client lacking in features, so I usually install Terminator. It's bigger than some other terminal clients but isn't tied to any particular Desktop.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: mate-terminal crash with: Settings schema 'org.mate.interface' is not installed

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    FVWM was one of the "Window Manager only" installs I test installed for those who want to install your choice of WM from the very beginning...
    Whether you install your WM as part of your initial Install or later, you can browse all WMs in thier own group by enabling the "Package Groups" view in the YaST Software Installer,
    Good to hear that the old-school Window Managers get some attention. I figured developers have enough on their hands just making sure everything works in KDE and GNOME.

you can see this option in the following slide from my openSUSE presentation that displays a screenshot of this page

https://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse/#/14

Very nice set of tutorial slides. Wish I'd looked at them before this latest install. I install openSUSE so infrequently (my fault) that I always have to re-learn each time. Because of that I tend towards vanilla installs and then start modifying once I have a running system. I think this is the first time I've started with anything other than KDE -- like I said in my 2016 go-around on these forums I've been using SUSE and openSUSE since 5.3. Seemed like the plain graphical environment was new (to me) in 15.1, but I could be mis-remembering.

Of course, if you're running a default openSUSE install which would mean you have IceWM installed, you can modify the above to set up what you want.
    I'll probably keep IceWM installed because I like to have a default user which only depends on base packages. Already have FVWM running on my main login, and starting to port years of customization and $HOME/bin utilities which always need a bit of tweaking on a new system (especially since I procratinate so long, 42.1 -> 15.1 this time around).

When I sometimes find myself on an Ubuntu system, I find the default terminal client lacking in features, so I usually install Terminator. It's bigger than some other terminal clients but isn't tied to any particular Desktop.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. Always looking for options and alternatives.