Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard layout setting not maintained after logout

Default Keyboard layout setting not maintained after logout

Running on laptop with KDE Plasma Desktop v 5.16.4 and with a UK keyboard.
    I have set the keyboard layout using yast and selected the English UK setting.
    This setting remains as required in use but if I have rebooted or logged out and back in again, the keyboard layout reverts working to the English US pattern even though the Yast Keyboard Layout remains showing the chosen setting of UK.
    This also used to happen with Leap 15.1 and I assume it is a bug.
    Am I right or am I doing something wrong?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Keyboard layout setting not maintained after logout

Have you configured via KDE System Settings?

System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts

There you can enable 'Configure Lyaouts' and add/remove the required. Click 'Apply when done.

Does that help?
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Hi Deano,
    Now here is a surprise. There are two keyboard layout settings, one in Yast settings which I have used as noted above and works until I log out and one in the System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts which I have now found and used to select English UK layout. Many thanks, this seems to work. Interesting to know there are two ways of doing this. Perhaps I need both. Anyhow I think I am OK now.
    Many thanks once more.

Blog Entries

Not really two ways. The YaST settings are system-wide (administrator-led) configurations. The desktop environments mostly offer user-level configuration tools, such as setting the keyboard layout you required. Another user might require something different again. Anyway, glad to have been of assistance.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 17-Aug-2019 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Not really two ways. The YaST settings are system-wide (administrator-led) configurations. The desktop environments mostly offer user-level configuration tools, such as setting the keyboard layout you required. Another user might require something different again. Anyway, glad to have been of assistance.
    Hi Deano and thanks for the help. I always appreciate your assistance for which many thanks.
    Interesting issue though because this morning and only after I had updated this morning I noticed in my Task Bar the letters EN and US. Now I do not have any US languages set afaik but I could be wrong. Anyhow I retraced my steps with Yast and Settings and both remained set at UK but when I closed these pages the US term had vanished leaving EN. However when I first went into this issue yesterday I had the letters GB in my Task Bar which have now gone.

One of life's KDE mysteries.
    Thanks again.
    Budge

Interesting but in spite of Deano'a advice which I followed my keyboard layout has reverted to US even though all the settings in Yast and System Settings are set for GB or UK
    At what point should I submit a bug?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Interesting but in spite of Deano'a advice which I followed my keyboard layout has reverted to US even though all the settings in Yast and System Settings are set for GB or UK
    At what point should I submit a bug?
    I'm not sure what's quite going on here, but returning to a previous comment you made which has caught my attention...
    I noticed in my Task Bar the letters EN and US.
    Is this the 'IBus Panel' you're referring to perhaps. Normally that's not required for KDE, but I notice that it's dragged in with the Gnome desktop if installed as well. Maybe that's causing the issue you're encountering here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibus
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus#KDE

Code:
    zypper se -si ibus

Just to increase confusion.

This EN and US in the panel reminds me of a configuration (in KDE) where more then one keyboard layout are defined. Note: NOT languages, but keyboard layouts. This to allow the user to switch between them, either because he switches two keyboards, or because he uses the existing keyboard in two ways (in at least one way ignoring what is engraved on the keys, maybe having a paper overlay of some kind to help him in hitting the correct key combinations).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I'm not sure what's quite going on here, but returning to a previous comment you made which has caught my attention...

Is this the 'IBus Panel' you're referring to perhaps. Normally that's not required for KDE, but I notice that it's dragged in with the Gnome desktop if installed as well. Maybe that's causing the issue you're encountering here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibus
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus#KDE

Code:
    zypper se -si ibus
    Ibus is only one of many lurking. As they may create confusion beware of these:

Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> ls /etc/xdg/autostart/
    at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop                  krunner.desktop                      nm-applet.desktop                                    org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.ScreensaverProxy.desktop            powerdevil.desktop
    baloo_file.desktop                       lxpolkit.desktop                     orca-autostart.desktop                               org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing.desktop                     print-applet.desktop
    blueberry-obex-agent.desktop             lxqt-desktop.desktop                 org.gnome.DejaDup.Monitor.desktop                    org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard.desktop                   pulseaudio.desktop
    blueberry-tray.desktop                   lxqt-globalkeyshortcuts.desktop      org.gnome.Evolution-alarm-notify.desktop             org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sound.desktop                       tracker-extract.desktop
    caribou-autostart.desktop                lxqt-notifications.desktop           org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.A11ySettings.desktop        org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom.desktop                       tracker-miner-fs.desktop
    geoclue-demo-agent.desktop               lxqt-panel.desktop                   org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard.desktop           org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XSettings.desktop                   tracker-store.desktop
    gmenudbusmenuproxy.desktop               lxqt-policykit-agent.desktop         org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Color.desktop               org.guido-berhoerster.code.package-update-indicator.desktop  user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop
    gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop             lxqt-powermanagement.desktop         org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Datetime.desktop            org.kde.kdeconnect.daemon.desktop                            user-dirs-update-mate.desktop
    gnome-keyring-secrets.desktop            lxqt-runner.desktop                  org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.DiskUtilityNotify.desktop   org.kde.kgpg.desktop                                         xdg-user-dirs.desktop
    gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop                lxqt-xscreensaver-autostart.desktop  org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Housekeeping.desktop        org.kde.korgac.desktop                                       xembedsniproxy.desktop
    gnome-shell-overrides-migration.desktop  mate-power-manager.desktop           org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Keyboard.desktop            org.kde.plasmashell.desktop                                  xfce4-power-manager.desktop
    gnome-software-service.desktop           mate-screensaver.desktop             org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys.desktop           org.opensuse.opensuse_welcome.desktop                        xfsettingsd.desktop
    gsettings-data-convert.desktop           mate-settings-daemon.desktop         org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse.desktop               parcellite-startup.desktop                                   xscreensaver.desktop
    ibus-autostart.desktop                   mate-user-share-obexftp.desktop      org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power.desktop               polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
    klipper.desktop                          mate-user-share-obexpush.desktop     org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.PrintNotifications.desktop  polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop
    konqy_preload.desktop                    mate-user-share-webdav.desktop       org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill.desktop              polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1.desktop
    karl@erlangen:~>
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Ibus is only one of many lurking. As they may create confusion beware of these:
    ??? But how do they relate to incorrect keyboard layouts in a DE? Can you clarify more meaningfully?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast