Update fails during routine update and I cannot log out.

Just done an update following prompt in my system tray. There were quite a number notified (something like 127) and during this the packagekit stopped.
I then had a notification that I have 1272 updates awaiting but the install button does not result in anymore updates.
I tried to log out but could not, nothing happened.
Went to yast to look for updates there and nothing was shown but on accepting a number of other packages popped up which then would not install.
I have the notification of a package failure:-

Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: rpm: relocation error: /lib64/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr, version ATTR_1.0 not defined in file libattr.so.1 with link time reference

Please could somebody advise. I am reluctant to reboot in case I cannot get back again!

system-user-root libselinux1 libpcre1 glibc-extra glibc filesystem These are the changes that have come up but I cannot put in Code brackets

If there were 1272 updates, then this is not Leap 15.1.

You probably added a Tumbleweed repo, and began to update to Tumbleweed. And, in the middle, you created a problem.

Post the output from

zypper lr -d

and use a CODE block for that.

Further to the above I tried to update the 1272 list indicated and I get an error long message (does not appear long enough to read in full before it disappears again.
The gist as I recall suggests that the PackageKit service is not running. I press the update button and then get the activity blue line and notice “Waiting for service to start” which then times out and I get the Update Error.
Any suggestions please.

Hi nrickert, thanks for the reply. Tried to take your advice by running you command in console and I get this:-

KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/konsole

I certainly didn’t choose to use Tumbleweed repo but here is the screen shot of what I have in my repos:-

https://paste.opensuse.org/43467525

I shall need your help to run the command.

System all over the place, taking a screen shot with Shutter tried to select a directory but didn’t let me take a screen shot.

I used the phone for the repo screen as you will see.

Well, do you not see yourself that there is one line with the words “Tumbleweed” and also “Fa<ctory” in it?

Remove it and do a

zypper dup

to replace those packages you now have from Tumbleweed by those from your 15.1 repos.

Before doing so, also remove the 15.0 repo

Sorry, missed that one (small print?).

But the message is of course that one should check ones repos and have a good explanation about what one has to satisfy oneself that all is OK.

To all who have helped I appologise for the Tumbleweed repo. I had no idea it was there or how it arrived, nor do I know why the Leap 15.0 repos are there. I did a fresh install from USB stick but it is possible I did something then when trying to re-enable my applications.
Meanwhile I now have a message that the screen locker is broken and there are instructions for getting back to my running session. Sadly these instructions do not work and I get another error after I have logged in and run:-

loginctl unlock-session9

I get the error:-

relocation error: /lib64/libacl.so.1: symbol getxattr, version ATTR_1.0  not defined in file libattr.so.1111 with link time reference

Deeper and deeper in trouble!

BTW what happened about the snapper rollbacks I should get from btrfs? I hope I can fix this without rollback but I am stuck at present.

It might actually be easier to just reinstall.

Hi and agree. Re-installed but must have done something different because all I have is the minimal bash-like editing.
I have UEFI and all worked before with defaults or so I thought but I must have done something different this time.
How do I now get the system to boot please? Should I re-post in the installation and booting section or can you help here?

That probably means that something went wrong with the boot install.

We need some more information on what is going wrong.

PEBCAK. My mistake. Back up and running again.
Many thanks. Will now check exactly what I installed that pulled in the unwanted repos.

That’s good to hear.

Most cases we see here are the result of:

• doing a one-click installtion from a repo of another version;
  • then forgetting to say either “no” to the question if the repo should be kept, or disabling the new repo after the one-click finished.

Hi Henk and yes I agree, fatigue and other issues don’t help. There is a sequel to this thread however. Having done a fresh installation of Leap 15.1 and having had success with Tumbleweed on my laptop I decided to upgrade my Leap15.1 to Tubleweed before adding and setting up all the applications I use. For some reason this zypper dup upgrade stalled at one of the btrfs activities after it had shown completed 100%. No redemption here so I did a fresh install from a DVD and now I have Tumbleweed installed and working with one query which I shall post in the right place.
Many thanks for all your help as usual.
Regards,
Budge

That’s probably Bug 1110259

sudo snapper list

shows you all snapshots. But we won’t know when you added the TW repo, the Leap 15.0 repo. Since this was a clean install of 15.1 you must have used some one-clicks from software.o.o

sudo snapper rollback ####

where #### should be replaced by the lowest available index from the first command should bring you back to the clean install.