Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black screen / Plasma error after switching to native Nvidia driver on new install

Default Re: Black screen / Plasma error after switching to native Nvidia driver on new install

Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    Installing the kernel-source and then forcing a reinstall of the nvidia G03 driver did it for me. Sorry, I don't know what else could be required
    Made an account here just to thank you. Facebook reminded me that its already been a year since I installed Leap 15.0 and decided to upgrade to 15.1. I followed the guides and was greeted with the low resolution screen about Plasma not being able to use OpenGL 2. Spent the next 3 days reading and experimenting until I read your post.

I hope that you will be able to sort out your problem about your screen brightness and copy/paste.

System: Host: linux-syxo Kernel: 4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0
    Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.8 tk: Qt 5.9.7 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.1
    Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA G98M [Quadro NVS 160M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia v: 340.107
    bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:06eb
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia compositor: kwin_x11
    resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz

Default Re: Black screen / Plasma error after switching to native Nvidia driver on new install

Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    in my original post I describe that I installed a pure, new, open Suse 15.1, then added community repos offered by the original installation and installed native nvidia drivers from it.

I think it is reasonable to expect this to work and seek for help here, if it doesn't. Note that I don't demand anyones help, I just think it would be good for opensuse if this would work flawlessly.
    Nvidia manuals mentioned that you must uninstall Nouveau drivers before installing Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by nantax View Post
    Made an account here just to thank you. Facebook reminded me that its already been a year since I installed Leap 15.0 and decided to upgrade to 15.1. I followed the guides and was greeted with the low resolution screen about Plasma not being able to use OpenGL 2. Spent the next 3 days reading and experimenting until I read your post.
    Glad it helped - and thank you, effort appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Nvidia manuals mentioned that you must uninstall Nouveau drivers before installing Nvidia proprietary drivers.
    True, but this is a bit like the sledgehammer method to open a door - easy to apply, always works, no questions asked. But not really optimal in all cases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12