Battery display shows 0%, despite being fully charged

The battery icon in the Panel shows that it is at 0%, even though it is fully charged. I use KDE. It started this behavior after I briefly used the computer on the battery power. Since then it always incorrectly displays the battery’s charge.

I know it is wrong because when I open the VM windows machine, the battery there correctly displays 100% charged AND when I remove the computer from the wall charger, it works fine for hours, even though the whole time it reports 0% battery and is not connected to a power source.

I guess this is a bit of a cosmetic problem, because the computer basically performs correctly, but it is nice to know the actual battery charge level, for those times when I don’t have it connected to the wall charger.

Any ideas what the problem is here? Or better yet, how to fix it?

You’ll likely need to identify the exact name of the widget or the package that installs it, and then look up the documentation for it.
But, before you do that, look around to see if there are any other widgets that display your battery status… Simply replacing with another widget might be your easiest solution.

TSU

This is intended only as a crosscheck.

On my laptop, it shows the battery as fully charged.

I guess I should unplug the power, and let it run on battery for a while. And then check what it says. I’ll maybe try that shortly.

My desktop also shows fully charged, but that is reporting the UPS system. So the battery indicator is complex – it can report on an internal battery or on an external UPS.

Maybe you could try creating a new user account, and see what shows there. The idea is to see if this is a problem with user configuration or a system wide problem.

That solved it. It was a widget problem. I found a new one called “Battery Time”, installed that and then activated it in the settings. Problem solved.

For those who might want to solve this problem the widget that was not working correctly was the pre-installed one in KDE for Leap 15. It is called “Battery and Brightness”.

Thanks!

The problem lies with the widget. See my other reply.

Before changing widgets I did create a new user and the problem persisted.