Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: X does not start after recent update

  1. #1

    Exclamation X does not start after recent update

    X does not start after recent `zypper dup` update yesterday. Also plymouth resolution become very low on start. Any fix?
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 12-Aug-2019 at 05:56. Reason: Fix typos

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,486
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by akontsevich View Post
    X does not start after recent `zypper dup` update yesterday. Also plymouth resolution become very low on start. Any fix?
    Hi
    I'm guessing your using the nvidia graphics card driver?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I'm guessing your using the nvidia graphics card driver?
    No, nouveau. Tried nvidia also - with no luck. After kerken 5.2.x nvidia driver does not work for me at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,486
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by akontsevich View Post
    No, nouveau. Tried nvidia also - with no luck. After kerken 5.2.x nvidia driver does not work for me at all.
    Hi
    Is xf86-video-nouveau installed? If so remove that and see how it goes, else you can always install the nvidia driver the hard way.... this is assuming your card supports the current G04, G05 drivers.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Is xf86-video-nouveau installed? If so remove that and see how it goes, else you can always install the nvidia driver the hard way.... this is assuming your card supports the current G04, G05 drivers.
    Installed. Remove it and install nvidia or what? Or just remove it? Seems my card only supported by G04 driver (GeForce GT730).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,486
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by akontsevich View Post
    Installed. Remove it and install nvidia or what? Or just remove it? Seems my card only supported by G04 driver (GeForce GT730).
    Hi
    Just uninstall that package and see how it goes first.

    I run GT710's here, all is good installed the hard way with the 430.40 driver.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Just uninstall that package and see how it goes first.
    Just text login - nothing else. And still very low screen resolution.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    I run GT710's here, all is good installed the hard way with the 430.40 driver.
    430.40 installation script said that my card is not supported - only 390.x, while support page on nvidia site says that it should support. After installing rpm from nvidia repo (before recent zypper dup) KDE crashes on first notification. Will try nvidia install script now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,486
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by akontsevich View Post
    Just text login - nothing else. And still very low screen resolution.


    430.40 installation script said that my card is not supported - only 390.x, while support page on nvidia site says that it should support. After installing rpm from nvidia repo (before recent zypper dup) KDE crashes on first notification. Will try nvidia install script now.
    Hi
    Your card is supported... 700 series https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/149138/en-us

    Code:
    System:    Host: grover Kernel: 5.2.5-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.1 Desktop: Gnome 3.32.2 wm: gnome-shell 
               dm: GDM Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20190809 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
               chip ID: 8086:0152 
               Device-2: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: ZOTAC driver: vfio-pci v: 0.2 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
               Device-3: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 430.40 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
               Device-4: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 430.40 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10de:128b 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: fbdev,modesetting,nvidia,vesa alternate: nouveau,nv 
               compositor: gnome-shell resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 8.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.1.3 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Seems something wrong with kernel installation/update: installed 5.2.5, but grub only shows and loads 5.2.3 or 5.2.2. How to fix?

  10. #10

    Default Re: X does not start after recent update

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Your card is supported... 700 series https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/149138/en-us
    Yes, I saw this page, however installation script says it is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •