Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Samaba headache again

Default Re: Samaba headache again

Downing firewall and I can see Window Machines. Something wrong there.

I don't see any ports defined in the firewalld configs.

Ok set ports now can see base on XP but time out if I try to go to a share, Can't see Win7 machine May very well be SMB1 being dropped. in 7 and required in XP????

Now I'm done for the moment. I can use it as is. It is irritating that I can't get this to work correctly but copy from/too the windows and Linux machines from the windows machine works I guess I'll live with Linux being broken

Thanks much for the help

I use Win XP & 7 (virtualized) and I need a common share supplied by Samba on my openSuse.
    I don't remember since what Samba version default value of ntlm parameter has been changed but if I want to access to a Samba share from XP I have to add this :
    Code:
     ntlm auth = yes
    under [global] section.
    Hope this help ....

I give also my 2 years ago thread when I encountered the issue : https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...DC-(rpc-no-AD)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    smb://linux1.local shows local shares

But I still don't see the Window shares can you give me an example URL?
    Windows 10 has implemented mDNS, you it is possible for me to ping via terminal using
    Code:
    ping dell.local
    and browse shares via Dolphin with
    Code:
    smb:///dell.local
    Windows 7 & XP won't respond like that, but can still be reached by IP address of course.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Downing firewall and I can see Window Machines. Something wrong there.

I don't see any ports defined in the firewalld configs.

Ok set ports now can see base on XP but time out if I try to go to a share, Can't see Win7 machine May very well be SMB1 being dropped. in 7 and required in XP????
    Well, using SMBv1 is a major security risk, so XP should no longer be used from that POV. IIRC, Windows 7 can be configured to use SMBv2 though.

Now I'm done for the moment. I can use it as is. It is irritating that I can't get this to work correctly but copy from/too the windows and Linux machines from the windows machine works I guess I'll live with Linux being broken

Thanks much for the help
    No, samba is not broken, just you haven't kept up with the play. It's working fine for me in my relatively modern multi-OS environment. From a Linux host only environment POV, it works perfectly. Go research 'wannacry' and 'SMBv1'.

There are reasons for me to keep old XP machine.
    1) it is an old Eee netbook. 32 bit 1 gig memory. It simply won't run newer OS
    2) I use MS Reader to do audio books using a decent voice. I have a huge library of LIT files. I have never found a proper voice book reading setup in Linux. And voice selection seems limited. Win 7 has Reader but it sucks compared to XP and the XP voice files do not work in it,

In any case the Windows instance can see and connect to each other and Linux but Linux can not see MSHOME and even though I get first connection to XP (not 7)

Blog Entries

I would consider using sftp instead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234