Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: /srv empty after booting, recovering folders after reboot

Question /srv empty after booting, recovering folders after reboot

Hi everybody,

I'm working on a local website in /srv/www//vhosts and very often (not everytime) when I boot my computer, /srv is empty : all folders (firebird, tftpboot and specially www have vanished - I have no idea about what the 2 first folders are). I have to reboot and everything is there again.

I'm on KDE Plasma with Dolphin.
    The filesystem on my root partition is BtrFs (/home is Ext4, compatibility compliance to Dropbox). There's enough space on it.
    I generally use bluefish as IDE and files are saved with my username as owner, from time to time I chown everything in /srv/www to wwwrun. My username is member of wwwrun group.
    I checked my HDD with smartmontools - smartctl and saw nothing special, there are no pending sectors and total uptime is less than 100 hours (the drive is brand new).
    The logs don't show any error related to /srv ("/srv successfully mounted ").

I did'nt notice that kind of event on any other folder.

I don't know at this time what additional information would be relevant, I'll give what I'll be asked for.

Does anybody has a tip about what could cause that issue ? I'm afraid some day there could be definitely nothing left in /srv even after reboot ... Of course I back it up everytime before shutting down ... unless I forget it.

Thanks !

Blog Entries

Default Re: /srv empty after booting, recovering folders after reboot

What do you mean by "/srv empty"
    By default, if you've installed LAMP using the LAMP pattern (and most other ways) there should be subfolders like www and htdocs
    And then there would be your custom files specific to your websites.

Are those default webserver files or are those missing, too?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by Voronamanga View Post
    /srv is empty I have to reboot and everything is there again.
    You say so, but you do not prove it.

Please post
    Code:
    ls -l /srv
    for both situations.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    By default, if you've installed LAMP using the LAMP pattern (and most other ways) there should be subfolders like www and htdocs

TSU
    Thinking about your situation a bit,
    I suspect you're opening in a graphical File Manager.
    Recommend opening in command line instead... If you need to see a graphical representation of the file tree structure, install "tree" for that functionality.
    Hard to say what might cause a graphical glitch...
    Could you be trying to view your folders immediately after a bootup? What if you wait at least 15 minutes or so for startup processes to complete?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi tsu2, thanks for your answer !
    I mean all folders that are normally inside don't appear - they've not really vanished actually since after reboot they are here again ...

TSU
    Everything is missing (btw I'm using Postgresql so it's a LAPP installation), /srv folder is really empty after booting, let's say half of times. But of course all my files I'm working on re-appear at first reboot so it's a minor issue : right now I'm working on /srv/www/vhosts/small-erp.local/index.php, for instance. But what if some day it remains empty ?

Erik

Hello Hank !

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You say so, but you do not prove it.

Please post
    Code:
    ls -l /srv
    for both situations.
    I can't prove right now since everything is working fine tonight. All I can tell you is that when Dolphin displayed nothing in /srv I did a 'cd /srv && ls' in terminal I got an empty line.

Now, doing that, here's the outcome :
    Code:
    erik@linux-5n3o:~> cd /srv && ls -l
    total 0
    drwxr-x--- 1 firebird firebird  0  9 juil. 16:16 firebird
    drwxr-xr-x 1 tftp     tftp      0 31 juil. 16:49 tftpboot
    drwxr-xr-x 1 wwwrun   wwwrun   38  4 juil. 16:14 www

Quote Originally Posted by Voronamanga View Post

ll I can tell you is that when Dolphin displayed nothing in /srv I did a 'cd /srv && ls' in terminal I got an empty line.
    OK, thanks. This together with the other ls is prove enough to me.
    (I would not trust Dolphin alone, but always shortcut it and other GUI tools to be sure).

BTW, /srv is not on a separate file system?
    Henk van Velden

Thinking about your situation a bit,
    I suspect you're opening in a graphical File Manager.
    Recommend opening in command line instead... If you need to see a graphical representation of the file tree structure, install "tree" for that functionality.
    Hard to say what might cause a graphical glitch...
    Could you be trying to view your folders immediately after a bootup? What if you wait at least 15 minutes or so for startup processes to complete?

TSU
    Wow ! didn't expect startup processes to take 15 minutes. I'll give it a try anyway.
    As my other replies could show, I tried both graphical File Manager and terminal.

I see that tree is already installed. I just discover it, and it is really a cool package. I'll use it next time my /srv looks empty ! So I assume better wait till it occurs again.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    BTW, /srv is not on a separate file system?
    Hi Henk (not Hank, sorry), /srv is on the same root system as everything except /home, which resides on a separate partition and a specific mountpoint (this is an ordinary configuration)

Nevertheless adding my fstab here wont do no any harm.

Code:
    erik@linux-5n3o:/srv> sudo cat /etc/fstab
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /                       btrfs  defaults                      0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /.snapshots             btrfs  subvol=/@/.snapshots          0  0
    UUID=7f106034-fa4d-4db0-985e-d6cac4d28178  swap                    swap   defaults                      0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /var                    btrfs  subvol=/@/var                 0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /usr/local              btrfs  subvol=/@/usr/local           0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /tmp                    btrfs  subvol=/@/tmp                 0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /srv                    btrfs  subvol=/@/srv                 0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /root                   btrfs  subvol=/@/root                0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /opt                    btrfs  subvol=/@/opt                 0  0
    UUID=72aa2929-b98f-449b-935c-a833d98d5655  /home                   ext4   data=ordered                  0  2
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi  btrfs  subvol=/@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi  0  0
    UUID=63d518af-52ff-4179-b186-340a7abd02b8  /boot/grub2/i386-pc     btrfs  subvol=/@/boot/grub2/i386-pc  0  0
    UUID=58ED-09A0                             /boot/efi               vfat   defaults                      0  0
    LABEL=Media                                /home/erik/Media        ext4   user_xattr,data=ordered       0  0

It was just a thought. It is very strange what you report, so one tries everything
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast