Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIFI no longer working after update

Default WIFI no longer working after update

I need help solving an issue with my laptop. It started right after I upgraded to a new version of Tumbleweed, after roughly one week since the last "zypper dup".

Upon restarting, the machine stopped showing WIFI connections in the network manager widget of the KDE system tray. The WIFI checkbox is there and enabled, the network card is definitely recognized... it's just that there are no connections.

I noticed something peculiar that might offer a clue: When the computer boots, it lists the following job failure:

Code:
    A start job is running for Network Manager Wait Online
    Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online
    Curious to see more, I next went to YaST - System - Services Manager and asked it to show me the log for this process. This is what it says:

Code:
    ● NetworkManager-wait-online.service - Network Manager Wait Online
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-08-08 16:57:51 EEST; 3min 58s ago
         Docs: man:nm-online(1)
      Process: 1430 ExecStart=/bin/bash -c if [ ${NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT} -gt 0 ]; then /usr/bin/nm-online -s -q --timeout=${NM_ONLINE_TIMEOUT} ; else /bin/true ; fi (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 1430 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 08 16:57:21 linux-qugf systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Wait Online...
    Aug 08 16:57:51 linux-qugf systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Aug 08 16:57:51 linux-qugf systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Aug 08 16:57:51 linux-qugf systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
    I'll need to use my laptop soon so I must fix the connectivity. Any idea why this might be happening and what I should debug next? Thank you.

Default Re: WIFI no longer working after update

I don't seem to have the ifconfig command, but here is the output of iwconfig on my laptop:

Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=16 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    The command "iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID" does correctly list all available WIFI connections. No doubt the system is seeing them... perhaps a KDE specific issue is causing them not to get listed in the system tray?

Running "netconfig update -f" as root didn't solve it either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I don't seem to have the ifconfig command, ...
    You can use
    Code:
    ip address
    for similar output to "ifconfig -a". Or you can install "net-tools-deprecated" if you want the old commands back.

You could maybe try using "wicked" for your WiFi connection.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Output of the "ip address" command:

Code:
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 00:26:2d:84:6b:db brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether de:3a:6e:6e:bf:80 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    I should add that I was able to connect the laptop to the internet by plugging it to the router via LAN cable, which also showed up in the tray list properly. This confirms only WIFI is affected, possibly just detection by Plasma. I need wireless internet where I'm going, and rely on the ability to see and use wireless connections from the KDE system tray (IIRC Wicked disables this).

Blog Entries

I need wireless internet where I'm going, and rely on the ability to see and use wireless connections from the KDE system tray (IIRC Wicked disables this).
    Yes, "wicked" won't have that tray icon. However, if you are able to connect to WiFi with "wicked", that gives information on what is going wrong. If that also doesn't work, then that too helps narrow down the problem.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, "wicked" won't have that tray icon. However, if you are able to connect to WiFi with "wicked", that gives information on what is going wrong. If that also doesn't work, then that too helps narrow down the problem.
    Fair enough, but I never used Wicked and have no idea how to connect to a WIFI connection with it. Are there any clear instructions, what commands I should use to preform this test?

Blog Entries

Fair enough, but I never used Wicked and have no idea how to connect to a WIFI connection with it. Are there any clear instructions, what commands I should use to preform this test?
    It's a little less convenient to configure a wifi connection using wicked (especially if changing network environments frequently), but it's not hard. Use YaST > System > Network Settings

Here's the openSUSE guide
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...c.network.yast

I'm sure you can navigate your way through this.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 08-Aug-2019 at 12:01.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

With regards to the graphical NetworkManager connection utility, if you click on the icon do you see available networks? Does the connection editor still show your defined wireless networks? Is airplane mode on perhaps?

BTW, you can also control NetworkManager via CLI commands as well.

Will show if wifi is disabled...
    Code:
    nmcli g
    Will show if NM is managing a given network interface...
    Code:
    nmcli d
    Will show available connections...
    Code:
    nmcli c
    And it can be used to activate a particular connection as well.

For more info, refer to
    Code:
    man nmcli
    One of many guides...
    https://www.tecmint.com/configure-ne...tool-in-linux/
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

I got a little help to further investigate this on IRC. It appears the NetworkManager service might be itself acting up.

First of all "nmcli dev wifi" does not list any connections. I understand they should appear there, as they currently are on my desktop computer.

The output of "sudo systemctl status NetworkManager" is also rather dubious: https://pastebin.com/raw/VYLRr2vX

I also did a "sudo journalctl -b -t NetworkManager" which I hope will offer further information: https://pastebin.com/raw/NfqZrpFn

Okay, something is happening: I ran "sudo systemctl restart wpa_supplicant" followed by "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service". This caused all the WIFI connections to appear and the laptop automatically connected successfully to my router. Perhaps this error explains what might be happening?

Code:
    Aug 08 18:13:39 linux-qugf NetworkManager[1269]: <warn>  [1565277219.8370] supplicant: failed to acquire wpa_supplicant proxy: Wi-Fi and 802.1x will not be available (Error calling StartServiceByName for fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms))
    If I restart the machine, I need to run the commands again to get Wifi running. I did a forced update of the wpa_supplicant package: The connections still didn't work automatically after restarting, but running just "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" fixes it after I log in. Now to resolve the problem permanently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast